WANTED: My kingdom for an XM

Selling off one (or bits :o) of your XM collection, or perhaps searching for those elusive headlight washer covers? This is the place to do it.
Scrof
XM newbie

WANTED: My kingdom for an XM

Post by Scrof » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:50 am

Hi folks

Following on from my newbie post in the introduction forum, here's my plaintive request for one of your lovely folks to sell me your XM.

What I'm after: in an ideal world, a late, low-mileage V6 Exclusive with a full service history. But then I suppose isn't everyone? In reality, I'll consider anything, though a car with heated seats and/or cruise control will really get my attention.

The car would be used mainly for high days and holidays, but also as a back-up for occasional work-related trips, so I'd like one that's reliable and usable. Colour isn't really a factor, though condition is, and ideally I'd like one that's in the best possible condition. I know such things are few and far between, though, and beggars can't be choosers, so if the price is right I don't mind one that's running, driving and road-legal, albeit in need of some light fettling to make perfect.

The car will go to a good home and I'm looking for something for long-term ownership; I always try to do right by my cars and maintain their service histories, so it would be looked after to the best of my ability and have money spent wherever necessary.

I'm based in the south-east of England, so anything relatively local would be a bonus, but I don't mind travelling for the right car.

So if anyone is toying with the idea of selling their car soon and it fits the bill, do please get in touch - there's cash waiting!

Oh, and I'm not on Facebook, so if anything pops up on one of the XM Facebook groups that might be of interest, I'd be really grateful if someone could let me know!

I'll check back here periodically for replies, but if you'd like to get hold of me sooner, you can do so by email at alex [at] scrof.co.uk.

Thanks for your time!

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Re: WANTED: My kingdom for an XM

Post by citroenxm » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:25 pm

Actually most enthusiasts want the mk.1 v6s ... or 2.1td models.

The tct is a bit more common now early v6s seem to of dried up a bit. However I do know of a black r reg v6 24v auto comming along soon .. possibly early next year with only about 65k on it.
The main issue with the later v6 autos is the 4hp20 box is on borrowed time after 100m if it hasn't been looked after which dealers didn't because its a sealed box box you know .. cough cough .. hum no.. they need services.. however this car at 60k is just right for fluid changes. Dont quote me at 60k but I know its low and around that..

Starts runs.. and is having some light commissioning done. So, I could pit in touch with the car you really want.

The second issue is exhausts for the later v6. They were never made after market only oem which have now stopped so short of having a stainless made thats the way to go however with further good news I'm sure this same carchas had a stainless fitted so its ticked two of the main important boxes..

Watch my space as I get further information for you
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

Scrof
XM newbie

Post by Scrof » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:32 pm

Well firstly, thanks for the info, especially on gearboxes and exhausts. Very useful to know. Hoping it shouldn't be an issue if, as you say, I can bag one in time for a fluid change. Getting a custom exhaust made up from a good-quality supplier wouldn't be a problem, I don't think.

I'd certainly consider a TCT, or a diesel, but the V6 you describe sounds exactly what I'm after, to be honest. Black would be one of my preferred colours, and I'm not in a rush, so early next year would be ideal.

Please do let me know when you know more, and if you were happy to put me in touch with the owner, I'd be most grateful!

Thanks again!

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:40 pm

Are you on fb that would make contact easier. I hear it has got ss exhaust on it.. its getting a new tad and it will need an exhaust manifold gasket which will be a great job not to do.. I've got some pics I can share in messenger.. etc.

Others

Scrof
XM newbie

Post by Scrof » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:47 pm

Afraid I'm not on Facebook - gave it up a few years ago! I am on Twitter, or I'm happy to drop you my phone number in a PM if you've got Whatsapp?

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:48 pm

Yes WhatsApp us good. Ill pm you my number now.

Others

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:07 am

Why are wattsapp, or Facebook better for contact than this forum...after all this is the forum for Xm owners and probably has the most comprehensive technical assisitance and library of Xm information, Worldwide.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:13 am

Scrof wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:32 pm
thanks for the info, especially on gearboxes and exhausts. Very useful to know. Hoping it shouldn't be an issue if, as you say, I can bag one in time for a fluid change. Getting a custom exhaust made up from a good-quality supplier wouldn't be a problem, I don't think.
The issue with the automatic gearbox fitted to late V6 (Es9j) isn't that there was no fluid change interval, but that the filter is located inside the gearbox and can't be accessed without gearbox removal and strip down.
The filters block, then the box goes South very quickly.

Rated life, given by ZF, is 60-100,000 Km...that's 37-62,000 miles.
All Es9j engined Xm, were only offered as automatic in the Uk, all other markets had the option of 5 speed manual.

If you buy a Es9j engined Xm, with ZF-4HP20 auto gearbox, budget for a complete gearbox rebuild. I would strip out the internal filter material and install an external filter in the gearbox cooler feed pipe.

Finding a late V6 shouldn't be a problem, they are the most populous of all Uk, Xm left on the road.
The Es9j engined Xm is a real delight to drive, just be aware of the gearbox and exhaust issue and all will be fine.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:57 am

Dieselman wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:07 am
Why are wattsapp, or Facebook better for contact than this forum...after all this is the forum for Xm owners and probably has the most comprehensive technical assisitance and library of Xm information, Worldwide.
Its quicker and more convenient at the moment. . But replies can still be added here as and when thats all..

As I've found with people they grace the form once a day which can make quick conversations long winded..

Thats all.. other then that the forum is a perfect place.

Others

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:25 am

In view of the question, the request is granted the car can be discussed publicly.
received_4143500559086163.jpeg
R reg black v6.. been sat a while was owned by an old bloke. Cannot guarantee milage, was on 105k in 2008 but now showing 42k on current clocks so my suspicion is it had new speedo in 2008 to sort out a dodgy needle which is useaully a broken solder joint on the head or the speed sensor...

It has a stainless exhaust on it it starts and runs, just had a starter. But it is undergoing some commissioning, and will be.put through an mot in Jan.. I shall update this as it goes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Others