Testing the waters - potentially looking for a 2.1td manual

Selling off one (or bits :o) of your XM collection, or perhaps searching for those elusive headlight washer covers? This is the place to do it.
TomSaintJames
Can find the S1 radio

Testing the waters - potentially looking for a 2.1td manual

Post by TomSaintJames » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:01 pm

Hi folks, long time forum lurker and XM aspirationalist here although I'm usually found in my BX GT or Volvo 740 turbo.
My job role is likely to change over the next month or two meaning I'll be commuting a 70 mile round trip three times a week, I'll need a diesel or perhaps LPG fuelled vehicle. My first thought was a manual 2.1 XM, are they economical enough if driven sensibly to be worth the extra maintenance over a modern? I'm also a Saab man and could quite fancy the twin turbo gen 2, 9-5 diesel. We also travel around France once or twice a year, so a diesel XM would be great for that I think.
The GT will do mid to high 30's mpg wise and the 740 is not quite yet finished, but did high teens/low 20s before it was a turbo (the turbo should improve the mpg as it was quite underpowered) but I wouldn't really want to regularly commute in either.

If i were to be picky I'd want an early, top spec, manual 2.1 in black with black leather and air conditioning but what are the chances!!

If anyone has an XM for sale or knows of one, I may well be interested.

Thanks 👍
Last edited by TomSaintJames on Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Julianw
Has changed a sphere or two
Orga / RP numbers: 4937

Re: Testing the waters

Post by Julianw » Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:27 pm

I'd say a 2.1td XM will be economical enough even if you drive it like a lunatic!
Over a 35 mile commute, i reckon you'll see high 40s if not more.

DownUnderXM
Knows how to use the parking brake
Orga / RP numbers: RP 8603
2000 ES9J4 V6, 4HP20 auto, Gris Quartz hatchback

Post by DownUnderXM » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:00 am

What are the advantages of an 'early' 2.1?

I would have thought that as late as possible would be a better starting point (if only because you get the advantage of minor improvements in the design and build along the way) - although I suppose how it's been maintained and stored + distance travelled will outweigh mere age...

TomSaintJames
Can find the S1 radio

Post by TomSaintJames » Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:24 am

Thanks guys. I much prefer the looks of a series 1/1.5, same as with BX's - the MK1's are much more 'Citroen'.

gwolfski
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by gwolfski » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:33 pm

DownUnderXM wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:00 am
Basically no engine electronics (if it has the bosch pump), only has a wire for the shutoff solenoid and the glow plugs. So ease of repair. I believe the later 2.1s were the same core engine but with more electronics to control them.
1992 2.1 TD Estate, in green

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:57 pm

I have an auto 2.1td .. however I drive it with the kickdown/load sensor cable disconnected from the throttle.. firstly this makes the car give a return of Round 46mpg on a run... it does however make the gearbox change up at set road speeds, but this is advantageous as it gives the better mpg, with the kickdown cable on the engine ends up just revving away at 3k and the torque is never used...

Avoid a 2.1 from 1996 onwards if the lucas epic is fitted. The best setup is the S1.5s and early s2 cars with bosch mechical pumps.. the bosch pumps are long lived and last longer should IT NEVER see any veg.. ours hasn't, and is now on 269k with no pump leaks...

Manuals are rare, most were auto.. the autobox demands maintenance and DEX 2 fluid changes every 15k should see a long life, it did on ours..
DownUnderXM wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:00 am

I would have thought that as late as possible would be a better starting point (if only because you get the advantage of minor improvements in the design and build along the way) - although I suppose how it's been maintained and stored + distance travelled will outweigh mere age...
The issue in the UK with later cars, and any really, is poor body .. later cars seem to suffer under body rot worse then any early car...

I will have a 1994 L reg top spec SEi manual available soon however, shes a V6 .. not a td..

Something to bear in mind.. s1 cars only got cruise control on autos, and petrol engines only, but s2 exclusive 2 1td auto also got cruise control, part if the s2 equipment upgrade.
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

TomSaintJames
Can find the S1 radio

Post by TomSaintJames » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:17 am

Thank you for an excellent answer citroenxm! I was aware of the epic pumps and the need to avoid, but I'm pleasantly surprised at the auto mpg. Perhaps I don't need a manual?

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:54 am

In general driving a 2.1td auto will consume more fuel than a manual, however, due to utilising a longer final drive ratio and full torque converter lock-up, when on a steady cruise an auto can return mpg as good as a manual.
Keeping the boost gauge reading below half way really helps with fuel consumption.

You will be lucky to find a Series1, 2.1td manual for sale, let alone in black, or high level trim.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

TomSaintJames
Can find the S1 radio

Post by TomSaintJames » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:15 am

I won't be that fussy! Just in an ideal world etc. Nothing is set in stone yet either but as I've always fancied an XM this might he ab ideal opportunity- if I can find one of course 🤣