Wanted - V6 or Turbo Series 1 :-)

Selling off one (or bits :o) of your XM collection, or perhaps searching for those elusive headlight washer covers? This is the place to do it.
Count Funkula
XM newbie

Wanted - V6 or Turbo Series 1 :-)

Post by Count Funkula » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:19 pm

Hi

I am new to the forum, but like you lot, a fellow with a fondness for XMs.

I am looking for a series 1, v6 or turbo, as high spec as possible and in as good condition as I can reasonable expect! Although I don't mind doing a bit of work to the right car.

Any colour considered except triton green or that mauve. GOLD would be number one! It has to be an S1 because I don't like that soulless facelifted interior of the later cars. Single spoke steering wheel and hard quirky angles is what it's all about for me :-)

if anyone knows of anything I may be interested in please let me know!

Thanks,

Llewelyn

andmcit
XM Guru

Re: Wanted - V6 or Turbo Series 1 :-)

Post by andmcit » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:36 pm

Welcome to the madhouse!

Ebay is your first port of call obviously although a s1 V6 may be a big ask, 12v or 24v!
If you're being really picky you're not after a manual too!?

A 2.0i turbo on the other hand is the car you'll most likely save from the morons who
cull these great cars for a Pug engine bay of a nasty eurotrash shopping trolley.
Again if manual is your thing you'll have to follow up every lead as they're harder
to source than an auto. Out of interest, whereabouts are you located?

Andrew

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:52 pm

And what's wrong with green Xm's - I love them! :?

Andrew

Count Funkula
XM newbie

Post by Count Funkula » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:01 am

Hi Andrew :-)

Cheers for the reply! I have been looking on eBay but a decent series one appears to be a fairly rare beast!

I am not fussed about auto or manual, in some ways I think I would actually prefer an auto! I only really like manuals in high performance cars, and in a barge like an XM I imagine the drive is far more relaxed with an auto. I guess a manual would be a more fun drive though, right?!

Sounds like a turbo auto is the most likely option then? My ideal spec would be a gold 24v v6 auto with every conceivable option including electric leather and those lovely polished wheel trims. There is actually a fully motd XM on my street for sale at 400 but it's a 2.0 NA with very basic specification sadly so I don't want it!

What is the Market/availability like in France? I have a friend who lives in Lille who could probably help me import one if it was any good!

I am in Leicester by the way. Yourself?

Cheers

Llewelyn :-)

PS I have beef with early 90s triton green Citroëns because as a child our family car was a new at the time BX GTI in that very colour and was the biggest money pit in the history of car ownership I have ever witnessed! Not only that, I am convinced that green cars are unlucky anyway. :-) hehe

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:19 am

First off, barge!!!!!! Heresy.... careful you're not banished from this forum on your
first day (second post!!)

OK, 24v's in s1 guise which appears to be your top choice only come in manual.
I'll get that one in next! :D Auto's may make sense in an Xm if you know the box is
well looked after and you drive in the centre of Leicester ALL the time and judging
by the endless chatter here about auto's being bliss in an Xm, a guy could get
brainwashed.

OK, don't tell anyone I said this, but they're bloody awful things and a real prehistoric
relic in constant usage and a permanent irritant with speed stepped changes out of sync
with whatever speed you are actually forced to drive in rather than the prevailing
speed limit. The clever autoadaptive 24v on the later s2 is a masterpiece in comparison.

Gold is a fab colour on an Xm and suits it very VERY well. Rare mind as most were
the mandarin red maroon, green or blue. In many ways having owned/driven every
permutation of Xm the one that should be a first Xm and could be the best al lrounder
if you like petrol would be a 16v although alas only available in a s2 bodyshell.
Best DERV, (sadly another s2) is the petrol like 2.5D!

Best s1 after the obvious manual 12v/24v leads you firmly to the 2.0i Turbo CT in
auto guise (if you must) and you should have no problem falling over dozens of them
if you're patient. Happy hunting!

Dismissing a green Xm because of an old green BX is a tad harsh.
You can't generalise that far!!

Worth passing on more info on that 2.0i you mention near you here on the forum in
case it whets the appetite of someone here currently looking too.

Andrew

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:00 am

You'll have a far better chance of a v6 in France/Germany and 24v's aren't unheard of on eBay fr/de.
Prices aren't so high as they used to be (certainly when like for like against UK cars). You'll have the
added bonus of proper Citroen DIRAVI power steering on the lhd V6's too which is derived from the
absolutely fabulous Cx but they managed to cock up the ratio of the gearing. In fact there have been
some recent bargains.

The scrappage scheme may have just narrowed the field down for these growing rare cars throughout
Europe now so getting one now wouldn't be a moment too soon!

Andrew

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:27 am

This here fits the bill nicely, more champagne than gold.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C130047/

Its very clean and tidy, and if you insist on a single spoke steering wheel, I'm sure someone on here will be able to supply one.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:58 pm

You don't want that - he's tip-exed his own tailblazer where the number plate normally sits! :?
Anyhow, it's got the wrong lever between the front seats - yeuch!! :o

Andrew

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:54 pm

Ive a SERIES 1.5 Turbo Onyx in Black, with an upgrade to Wood centre console, full leather, electric armrest.. oh and single spoke steering wheel available to fit aswell... ;)

Downside... Im putting a whole replacement engine in, becuase of an excessive oil consumption..So its not ready.

Its an Auto, and the change is VERY smooth..

Steel wheels, with S2 trims, oh and an LPG Injection Kit installed too!!

Just started on her last week, so slowly getting round her..

Car is an M reg, LAST of the S1 cars, so no electrical gremlins, and everything works EXCEPT the Air Con.

Will be advertised here when shes finally ready.

Paul
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

Count Funkula
XM newbie

Post by Count Funkula » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:44 am

Hi Paul - your car sounds great! Please do give me a shout when it's ready!

Cheers for the replies everyone!