Seats for sale...

Selling off one (or bits :o) of your XM collection, or perhaps searching for those elusive headlight washer covers? This is the place to do it.
davetherave
Citrobics expert

Seats for sale...

Post by davetherave » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:30 pm

Hi, if anyone is interested i have the seats for sale from my xm that were removed due to a change to leather
they are the same as in this thread on the second post by chillmax http://www.club-xm.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... eats#p8994

Unfortuanatly the drivers bolster is worn and i have taken the seat bases off, would be good as spares for someone who has a worn set!
Door cards not included, just rear splitting seats, bolsters, two front seats and armrest.
Cheers
Dave
(95) 2.1TD XM Exclusive Silver RP: 6951
(87) 2.5td Cx
(01) Gpz500s

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Re: Seats for sale...

Post by robert_e_smart » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:41 pm

Hi Dave,

I would be intersted in the passenger's seat.

Is there anyway of removing the material from these seats successfully, and then re-fitting them to another seat?

My 2.5 has the same interior, and the driver seat bolster is worn on it. I don't need the base, as I would re-use the base from my current seat.

If you don't want to split the interior, thats not a problem.

Regards

Robert
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

davetherave
Citrobics expert

Post by davetherave » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:21 pm

Might be possible to remove material, i will have to have a look.
Would be interesting as at some point i wouldnt mind putting heating elements in my leather seats.
Will report back when i have had a look in the loft!
(95) 2.1TD XM Exclusive Silver RP: 6951
(87) 2.5td Cx
(01) Gpz500s

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:32 pm

Hi Dave,

I had a look at the Planete Citroen forum, and found this:

http://citroen.cricou.net/xm/263786ba8e ... rsiege.pdf

It shows how to take the seating material and foam off the frame. I think the best option would be to take the material and foam off the frame. As the material is stuck down onto the foam. I remember taking the material off Xantia front seats years ago, and it was stick to the foam.

If you need help with the translation, let me know and I'll translate it.

Robert
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:04 pm

Hi Robert

The seat back covers or complete cover with foam can be swapped from passenger to a drivers seat.
The seat base squabs/covers are handed and cannot swap.
Onthecut did the cover swap on an alcantara S2 drivers seat a while ago.
S2 front seats are made differently from S1 ones. It is only the seat heating panels that are glued to the S1 cushion foam not the seat cover material.
On S2's they are a seperate item. Lots of wire fixing loops to undo and replace to swap covers otherwise easy.

John

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:13 pm

Thanks John,

I suppose posting a whole seat without the base isn't going to be handy or cheap. So I would be best just getting the seat back foam/material combo if the seat base piece is different.

The seat base piece on the car isn't worn, just the alcantara bolster on the driver seat.

Robert
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:17 pm

Robert

Not sure where Dave is located but I am going Norfolk way before long.
I am also going to be taking an estate up to Anglesey towards the end of Feb.
Seat squabs are bulky but light and well within the Post office size limits.
Alcantara always seems to wear through. I think it is worse with shorter drivers.
Wear comes from the angle of the seat belt catch on a seat well forward.
No thickness or guts in the seude used.
Hold it up to the light and you can see through it even when unworn.
I was going to redo the suede in green leather on a spare set of seats I have to put in my best green car.
Thought that green and grey leather would look good. Not so keen on the tan leather in the one I took to the meeting.
Most likely stick in heated black leather though when most of the others are gone and it finally comes off SORN.

John

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:39 pm

I'm short, so I'll not be helping the wear on these seats then!

Interesting idea of using green leather to repair the alcantara.

The suede alcantara I had in the blue car before I got the grey leather had been repaired by someone in the past, it was a good repair, but his colour matching abilities were poor.

How do you find the tan leather John, I got the impression that it was very fragile. Any pictures of tan leather make it look like it wears badly compared to the black leather. My grey leather seats are brand new the car they came from had done 50k miles, and was a LHD car, so I'm technically sitting on the passengers seat. And I never have passengers in my car, so they will remain good.

I'll have a think about the logistics John, I'm in no rush, and I to have a think if I need to get anything from Paul in Anglessey as well.

Robert
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:21 pm

Hi Robert

The outer edge of the drivers seat squab can get its foam deformed as well.
Only seen it on very high mileage but again short drivers tend to have the seat higher as well as forward.
They then sit on the outer edge as they get in and out the car.
Bit dissapointed with tan.
Got the real leather version in the 120k car, no real wear but the photos look better than real life.
The tan stuff in the 210k VSX estate is mostly leather cloth. I know because the drivers seat edge and the seat back bolster are both worn through.
It is not generally realised that the XM leather came in a series of grades.
The better qualities and good colour matched stuff went into the highest trim spec cars.
As you go down the range leather thickness, consistancy, visual appearance, colour missmatch and leathercloth panels become more common.
The very best leather went into motor show cars. Just a few about, Saw an estate that was one of these a few years ago at WHM. Immaculate with dark brown leather nearly twice the normal thickness. Already sold virtually as it arrived to a waiting regular customer.

John

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:28 pm

Intersting John,

The grey leather in my car is from a 1989/1990 car, the car had a grey dash, and these were only done at the very start for a short time. But this leather is a much better quality than the leather used on the leather/alcantara trim I had before.

So this leather/cloth is that a very thin layer of leather stuck onto a cloth backing, almost a luxury viynl?
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD