Collision damage, parts needed

Selling off one (or bits :o) of your XM collection, or perhaps searching for those elusive headlight washer covers? This is the place to do it.
minijet
Has changed a sphere or two

Collision damage, parts needed

Post by minijet » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:13 pm

A bloke in a Fiat Punto reversed into my car in a petrol garage today and damaged the front end.

So, I'm now in need of the following parts - in green (colour code ERYCR)

Nose cone - S1 or S2 will do

Front bumper - S2

Headlight washer covers

O/S side light

It's this green.....

Thanks,

Paul

XMX
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Re: Collision damage, parts needed

Post by XMX » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:31 am

Hi Paul,
Sorry to learn of your accident/dilemma :cry: !
minijet wrote:......A bloke in a Fiat Punto reversed into my car in a petrol garage today and damaged the front end.
I hope he's going to cough some decent dollar's to you to get it put right, especially if you'd got to do the repairs your self ?
If you go through the insurance even with that shopping list of parts needed it will definitely be a written off, so if you want to keep the car don't even bother going there if he's prepared to pay up some cash !

I have a decent O/S side-light unit available, give me a call (If you still have my phone number) if not PM me,
I can send it out to you again !

:D

XMX
An XM if for life, (Not just for Christmas) !

Citroenesque

Post by Citroenesque » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:29 am

My BX was recently hit whilst it was parked. The driver accepted total liability, and I went to my insurance company (Admiral), having got his insurance details. They sorted it out for me and my NCB wasn't affected because of the admission of liability. By sorted it out I mean they accepted the submission of a quote from a good local body shop, a list of the cost of the replacement parts, and although it would under many circumstances be written off I insisted, as is my right, that the car be returned to the state it was in prior to the accident. The other party's insurance company (Zurich) even gave me a replacement car for the duration of the repair. Instead of waiting for the claim to be settled my insurance company paid out money in lieu, which speeded things up, as they went after Zurich. I still have to claim for the secondhand parts used in the repair, that came from my 'stock', but essentially it's all done and I'm relieved and happy. Phil
1995 Citroen ZX 1.9D Avantage 3 door, white 106k miles.

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:35 am

Citroenesque wrote: By sorted it out I mean they accepted the submission of a quote from a good local body shop, a list of the cost of the replacement parts, and although it would under many circumstances be written off I insisted, as is my right, that the car be returned to the state it was in prior to the accident.
That is correct. As a 3rd party you can insist on the repair even if it costs more than the value of the vehicle. Another alternative is a contract repair.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:08 am

minijet wrote:.
(colour code ERYCR)

Nose cone - S1 or S2 will do

O/S side light

Thanks,
Hi Paul,

May be able to help with nose cone, S1 though, but im sure its green, with slight scratches..

Im hopeing to get up to Blackburn/Burnley area next Saturday to pick a car up, can bring it up that far for you..

Paul
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:45 am

I know of a S1 in Triton green (code ERT) and an S2 in Met Red being broken. Both cars are complete but you strip your own parts. The nosecones are off but stored complete.
Last edited by Dieselman on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

minijet

Post by minijet » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:12 am

Thanks for the replies.

The other party has admitted liability (well, verbally anyway. But it did happen in Teso's filling station, so there's plenty of CCTV cameras, so hopefully he won't try to change his story).
He said he'll probably pay cash rather than put it through his insurance, but I think I'll inform my insurers anyway.
I didn't know about them having to repair the damage regardless of the value of the vehicle. I thought they'd just write the car off.
First thing I need to do is get some prices.

The front bumper isn't actually damaged, just the paint has flaked off. But I would guess that a s/h replacement will be cheaper than a respray.

The nose cone is just cracked (not broken) in several places, so it could be patched up, but again it would need to be resprayed so a s/h replacement is probably the cheaper option......? Can you let me know what you want for the nose cone please Paul, thanks.

I'll probably try Citroen for the h/l washer cover as they're pretty hard to find s/h.

Re the side light - I still have your number Richard, I'll give you a call later, thanks.

The only other thing is that the gap between the bumper and headlight is slightly larger on the right side than the left side now, so it looks like somethings been pushed out of line.

Paul

minijet

Post by minijet » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:15 am

Dieselman wrote:I know of a S1 in Triton green (code ERT) and an S2 in Met Red being broken. Both cars are compete but you strip your own parts. The nosecones are off but stored complete.
Thanks Dieselman, but I'll see if I can get them in the right colour first, to save having to have them resprayed.

Paul

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:40 am

Hi Minijet

The usual cause of a dropped bumper below the headlight is that the steel bumper inner cross beam has collapsed around its steel support tube.
The cross beams can suffer badly from rusting. The fixing around the support is just pressed metal and is a common place for the cross beams to rust.
In this state all is fine until it gets knocked when the support collapses and the bumper drops 10 to 20mm.
The foam bumper end insert that fits over this support tube is also likely to be broken and crushed.

John

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:47 am

That steel chap that sits behind the bumper is a nightmare for rusting. I removed the front bumper from the 2.5, and had fun getting it detached from what was left of the steel bar. Of course all the fixings were that badly corroded you couldn't get the bumper off it easily.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic