SAVED! - 1993 2.1 SED Auto - MOT and Tax

Selling off one (or bits :o) of your XM collection, or perhaps searching for those elusive headlight washer covers? This is the place to do it.
mouseflakes
Knows how to use the parking brake

SAVED! - 1993 2.1 SED Auto - MOT and Tax

Post by mouseflakes » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:56 pm

Not sure where to list this really. Just gauging interest initially. At the moment I'm having trouble finding a good insurance quote for it (prices seem to have rocketed recently :shock: ).

I bought this today because the owner said he was going to have to scrap it if it didn't go this week. It seemed far too good for that fate. I know a 2.1 auto with over a 150,000 miles under it's belt will have most folk running a mile, but for £160 (with the tax left on) how could I resist?

MOT until 11 August.
Tax until end October.

New rad at 153991
'All new brakes' (according to the hand-written history) at 152892
Air con regas and 'bits' at 137705 and 151675
Cam belt at 127802
New fuel pump at 127802
It appears to have had auto fluid changes at 20,000 mile intervals - up to 100,000 or so at least. Would be better if they had been more regular I know.
There are two A4 pages of hand-written history with all the oil changes etc. up to around 100,000 miles.

Has had a bit of garden hose used to replace a split rubber hose - owner says it's holding up well! :)

Inside is pretty messy but all there. Digi displays both work!

Suspension felt okay - the car rose quickly and felt comfy. Slight knock from NSF - I'm guessing drop link?

Dark metallic green bodywork. Keyed on one side. Some areas of paint look bit patchy and there is a shallow dent on a rear door. Only one jacking point is folded. Otherwise the sills are solid - rear subframe solid (first one I've seen up close since working on mine - this looks pristine in comparison!). Headlamps and sidelights all good. NS strut top looks very solid - OS a little flaky under the rubber.

If I can find a way to get reasonable cover for it I'll run it for a while - perhaps take it for a pre-MOT while it's still got some ticket. Otherwise it might provide good bits for my 2.0Si (subframe for example). But someone out there might want it - any interest?

I'll try to get some pics up soon - I haven't picked it up yet (insurance again - I'll see if I can add it to another policy of mine for a few days).

My 2.0Si is still available by the way http://www.club-xm.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=295
Last edited by mouseflakes on Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim

1969 R16 GL - welding up
1978 R30 TS - resting up
1996 Saxo D - commuting up (?)

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Re: SAVED! - 1993 2.1 SED Auto - MOT and Tax

Post by citroenxm » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:42 am

Good stuff Tim

And whats wrong with 160k on a DERV with auto box - at least she has had a fluid change!

And BOTH displays will always work on Series 1 cars!! Unless bulbs are blown obviously, the faulty displays only play up on S2 cars! And S1 displays are not compatible with S2 cars..

Still a shame for you to break her up if shes very good! AND Working Air con ! A real bonus! :D

I MOST certainly would be, butI got FAR too much here now!

Paul
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:38 am

Its got to be worth that for spares! I have bought two for breaking but decided they were to good and restored them. I also bought a 2.1 engine and box off ebay for about £6.50, albeit in Newcastle, all I have used so far is the camshaft sprocket which as I type is on its way to Australia but pretty well any part I use will cover not only the costof the engine but the journey as well - our first visit to Newcastle. :D

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:36 pm

So, that's SAVED so it can scrapped anyway then!? :?

Sounds like a nice car - I like s1.5 green saloons especially in SEi/D spec
- proof autoboxes get past 120k too... (by a bit at least) :lol:

Andrew

mouseflakes

Post by mouseflakes » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:57 pm

andmcit wrote:So, that's SAVED so it can scrapped anyway then!? :?
Saved from being crushed with all parts still attached - plus a fair chance it won't be stripped if it has no horrendous faults. If I decide I don't want it, then it's available to anyone on here for the same price I paid - I certainly wouldn't break it if someone wants it whole. So yes, I think that's a save (it was due to be crushed end of this week).

Well - I've sorted some reasonably cheap insurance now, so I guess I'll be putting it through it's paces now and seeing what sort of a prospect it is.
Tim

1969 R16 GL - welding up
1978 R30 TS - resting up

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:39 pm

I'm not getting at you Tim - I agree the car is immeasurably of more benefit to Xm owners here than a collection of shredded metal
on a barge to China. I'm just a bit jaded I guess every time the word XM and scrap are in the same sentence especially where the
bodywork isn't falling to pieces and 98% of most of the mechanicals are in good order (the last 2% being any doubt over the autobox!! :P

Here's hoping the car lives!!

Andrew

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:15 pm

Tim

You will probably prefer her to the Auto in reality!

Cheaper on fuel, auto box relaxing to drive, and the refinement is second to none.. mind you, you should know that after the manual one you had...

The auto on the DERV engine makes a nice combination, but does slow the car a little...

Rgds
Paul
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

mouseflakes

Post by mouseflakes » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:08 pm

I picked it up this evening - I like it. :D

There is loud rattle from the NSF (I think) as the wheel passes over bumps - I originally guessed it might be the drop link - but does anything else cause this sympton (worn strut?). You can feel it throught the floor.

The one folded lacking point (front) has resulted in a rusty hole behind it - I'll have to weld it for the test. Doesn't look too bad.

There is a slight rattle from the engine but it comes and goes. Sounds like something is just a bit sticky.

It ran at around 70 degrees most of the time - seems a bit cool. Got up to nearly 90 when stood still for a while though.

I agree that it's annoying the way the auto needs you to exceed 30 mph to change into top - but the XM seems to be built to be an auto.

Air con blew icy cold! :D

Lots of bits are falling off on the inside - door pocket lids, glove box lid etc. And it's filthy.

But I like it. :D
Tim

1969 R16 GL - welding up
1978 R30 TS - resting up

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:19 pm

It can't be scrapped surely!! :?

Nice car - great to see it's been saved!! Certainly from it's appearance, I like it too!!

The leather looks mint and with the 24v alloys with decent tyres a value that'd be a goodly
portion of the price you paid!! The way the 'box changes are banded to the speedo reading is
totally maddening, especially when everyone seems to drive on their fuel gauge and paranoia
about speed cameras.

The loud rattle on the suspension could be the lower wishbone bushes; mind, what state do
the strut tops look like?

It's nice to get a bargain buy in this day and age when everything else is so grossly biased
to rip you off!

Andrew

nirgunapa

Post by nirgunapa » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:22 pm

It looks great! :)
Colin

1992 XM Prestige
1999 Skoda Felicia - the wife's new drive
1959 Commer Cob - SORN
1952 Riley RMA - retirement project