SAVED! - 1993 2.1 SED Auto - MOT and Tax

Selling off one (or bits :o) of your XM collection, or perhaps searching for those elusive headlight washer covers? This is the place to do it.
jonathan_dyane
Has changed a sphere or two

Re: SAVED! - 1993 2.1 SED Auto - MOT and Tax

Post by jonathan_dyane » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:08 am

Damn good result on the MOT front, I hope you manage to successfully fish the end of the dipstick out of the box (one of those narrow telescopic things with a magnet on the end might be your friend if the end of the dipstick is indeed metallic.)
Jonathan.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate
1979 Citroen GS 1220 Club Estate
1999 Yamaha FZS 600 Fazer
1991 Kawasaki GT-550
1986 MZ ETZ 250

JanBenes
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by JanBenes » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:09 pm

Looks perfect :( wish mine looked that well! If you ever - in the future - were to use it for parts, I'd take the whole right side (doors and fenders/wings), bumpers and the "front cone".

That all is subject to shipping to mainland not being totally outlandish. But if you decide, let me know, I'd very seriously think about it, since I haven't been able to get any decent parts in the right color here and lately, with all the ecology laws, you have to take the WHOLE car to the scrape yard if you want to unregister it, which makes the whole used-parts market 1) unavailable to individuals 2) annoying 3) difficult here
1991 LHD XM V6 24v, Emerald/Vega green

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:23 pm

Thats just crazy!

It can't be more ecological to have good parts shredded and recycled as their base contaminated elements
than extending the life of a vehicle that would otherwise require newly manufactured parts: or is the
economy driven agenda just that and the mindless out with old scrap everything over 5 years old and hello
in with the new?

I'd have to say, that's a particularly nice looking car that's newly MOT'd so not something I'd be happy to
watch being scrapped! Did you ever determine the shade of green your car is Caesar? There's a more jade
lighter green I believe it's called emerald, and the dark forest/racing green.

Andrew

JanBenes

Post by JanBenes » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:26 pm

Hi,
well they take the whole car ("including all wheels, but not necessarily the spare (5th) wheel"), disassemble it based on material and then do what they please and you get a "ecologic disposal receipt", which you have to turn in when unregistering. And of course, not many scrape yards keep XM parts, as the demand is rather low and they get paid by the government anyway. You can do without that if you use the car for "other purposes", but when I asked what that means (as I wanted to buy a XM with a bad engine for spare parts), they said you basically either keep the car for museum-like purposes, or make it into a playground for kids or something ( :shock: ), and that you can expect insurance company visits so that they see you are not actually running the car (some form of insurance is obligatory here). On my direct question whether "spare parts" counts as "other purposes", I was told somebody tried it and the court ruled against him. So you can get parts from cars which were unregistered before this law came into practice, parts from cars whose owners don't know they're getting into trouble (you basically have to pay insurance forever or until the law changes, or say the car has been stolen or something, which could ricochette back at you at the "technical control" (?MOT)), or you pay somebody at the scrape yard "extra". So I second your "economy driven agenda" thought.

Yes, my car is Emerald/Vega/ECY (the whole code is ER-YcR, what does the rect stand for?), a V6 24v Y3 Pallas, exactly like the one from catalogues, only a bit used :) and hail damaged (check the "garage"). The other green is Triton green (my 1990 and 1992 catalogues only list those two greens)... (also, see http://www.saxperience.com/forum/showth ... p?t=114861 for a more complete list, but for all Citroens)

@mouseflakes or anybody else - still interested in the above mentioned spares. When I really need them, I guess I will post a separate thread, but in the meantime, I will consider any offers.

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:57 pm

Nice one Tim, my mot is tomorrow ;)

Re the dipstick, it looks like you have the original dipstick in there, bad idea :) (see my hp18 gear oil change post in the self help) you will not recover the plastic tip from the top of the box, its gone :? but, and there is hope......have a look in the filter housing, with a bit of luck it will be there, mangled into half a dozen small pieces, make sure you have it all there, if any bits get into the oil pump it will not be pretty so be very carefull that there are no bits in the filter recess when you refit it, has to be spotlessly clean, so free from big chunks of plastic too :D .

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:59 pm

I'm a bit befuddled by the greens available form the cars I've got
- three cars don't match in colour and yet I do have another set of
spare green panels that won't match any car either!

There's a very dark Triton green on a V6 12v,

the British Racing Green metallic on a normal 1993 2.0i Prestige
which I'd expect to be the more main range green,

a s2 VSX estate which is totally different again and probably
doesn't count being a s2

and finally the spare panels which are more an electric green which appears to be
special on a late s1 that were off a 1993 Turbo CT where the car was totally colour
coded - unfortunately, I don't have the paint code for this car as I purchased them
already removed off the car when i bought spares including s1 24v alloys through
ebay where the seller transplanted the turbo engine into a Peugeot 106... :evil:

I'll try and capture the colour of these spare panels in case it matches yours but
from my recollection of your car with hail damage they're a much sharper jade!?

Andrew

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:01 pm

Happy Birthday by the way Caesar!! Welcome back to the forum!!

Andrew

JanBenes

Post by JanBenes » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:40 pm

@amdcit Actually, the color on the picture is rather bluish (RGB 45, 84, 106). I have to say it really depends a lot under what light you take the picture and what color managment workflow you use (and if/how your monitor is calibrated). Anyway, I guess I could mail you the middle part (the one that can get screwed on/off) of the cone, or any other smaller part of it actually :) so you can compare. Btw. do you have a way of knowing how much the postage would be (to Czech Republic) for those parts you have? And thanks for the wishes :)!