EPIC and Auto thoughts

Selling off one (or bits :o) of your XM collection, or perhaps searching for those elusive headlight washer covers? This is the place to do it.
colinxm
Has changed a sphere or two

EPIC and Auto thoughts

Post by colinxm » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:52 pm

Hi all, Quote: "I know colinxm retrofitted a bosch to replace an ailing epic" Guilty as charged :D I have to admit that the car did drive much better with the EPIC pump fitted (1995 2.1td -for the Scandinavian market) right up until it suddenly played up and made the car undrivable :cry: If I hadn't have had a full Bosch mechanical system lying in the shed I might have had a go at fixing it. The Bosch pump now needs some mechanical attention as the cold start advance mechanism is causing problems :evil: Thanks to a tip from Peter.N I now have the fueling properly sorted which made a huge difference to the acceleration and general performance.

Auto gearbox? Horrid, thirsty slugomatics...I've had two of the things, #1 a 2.0l petrol and then a 2.1td (Bosch donor) and while I found them great in congested town driving my opinion is that they totally sap all life out of the xm's. I eventually converted my 2.0 SEI to a manual box and although the 2.0l engine is pretty limited the difference was astonishing.

Just my two pennies worth ;)

Colin.P
1995 Cit XM 2,1 TD Silver Estate - deceased :-(
2004 Opel Vectra Estate
2008 Kia Ceed td
1989 Pug 205 Cabriolet
1998 Ford Puma
1979 Triumph TR7

colinxm
Has changed a sphere or two

Re: EPIC and Auto thoughts

Post by colinxm » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:55 pm

Dammit ! pressed the wrong button, the previous post was supposed to be a reply to the other Colin who's written in sales and wants :oops:

Colin.P
1995 Cit XM 2,1 TD Silver Estate - deceased :-(
2004 Opel Vectra Estate
2008 Kia Ceed td
1989 Pug 205 Cabriolet
1998 Ford Puma
1979 Triumph TR7

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:12 pm

colinxm wrote: Auto gearbox? Horrid, thirsty slugomatics...I've had two of the things, #1 a 2.0l petrol and
then a 2.1td (Bosch donor) and while I found them great in congested town driving my opinion
is that they totally sap all life out of the xm's. I eventually converted my 2.0 SEI to a manual
box and although the 2.0l engine is pretty limited the difference was astonishing.
My feelings about autoboxes exactly Colin. Whilst it may suit the "laid back executive express"
perceived image many have for Xm's I can't help feeling the engines aren't up to the slugomatic;
this is in no small part due to the bizarre French engine cc taxation bracketing over the years
that has forever distorted Citroen's engines.

It doesn't have to be this way, chuck away the cat on a 2.0i too and it flies - believe me!!

Someone actually stopped me when I stopped for fuel once and asked me what cc engine I was
using as he'd been following me whilst I was towing a CX on a car transporter trailer up silly steep
hills; he wouldn't believe me when I told him it was a 2.0 - I had to show him the engine bay and
he blew a whistle and vowed he'd look at buying an Xm himself as he originally thought they
were underengined for the body!!

Andrew

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:17 pm

In fact, as a straw poll for manual versus auto, I'd bet 2/3rd's of posters here would vote auto.

No accident, when Citroen biased manufacture of all Xm's towards 2/3 being automatic. So the
man that fancies a V6? They may be some while waiting for a manual one to show up...

us manual 'box Xm drivers must be real weirdos!! :lol:

Andrew

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:18 pm

behave yourselfs!, auto's rock, if they're in good nick and well looked after changes are un-noticable and apart from getting away from a standing start the performance is the same, im getting 24mpg over here now its all sorted out too 8-).

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:54 pm

Two donkeys, (no this isn't a joke!) identical in every way each need to pull identical wagons.

Stay with me here on this one!! The first one is the "manual one" and makes a reasonable fist
of the job demanded on him; the other one, the "diesel one", before even pulling his wagon,
has the extra burden of a massive sack of additional weight strapped to him. Poor little blighter
- you mean you don't feel guilty every time you press that accelerator on the auto?

Have you ever tried lifting a dry, never mind wet, autobox!!!! I get tired thinking about it;
just like that 2.0i engine. Fit a turbo? That'll do it, a bigger carrot... ;)

Andrew

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:06 pm

Its only another 40kg for the auto version, electric seats and air con will weigh more than that........mmmm auto, leccy seats and A/C :D, that will do anyway, im getting deja vou :lol:.
Cant agree with the turbo being a Carrot though, i think its more like a red hot poker applied from the other end of said Donkey :lol:

D

Addicted to Crackanory

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:11 pm

Dean wrote:Cant agree with the turbo being a Carrot though, i think its more like a red hot poker
applied from the other end of said Donkey :lol: D
:lol: yep, you're not wrong about that poker!! The RSPCA will be informed...

Andrew

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:02 pm

Hi Andrew

When you tell the RSPCA do not forget to also own up about killing the cat.

John

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:06 pm

:D

Addicted to Crackanory