saloon chrome side strips

Selling off one (or bits :o) of your XM collection, or perhaps searching for those elusive headlight washer covers? This is the place to do it.
citroenxm
Global Moderator

Re: saloon chrome side strips

Post by citroenxm » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:36 pm

I removed all the side trims off my SED which was not that hard to do and left the moulds on the doors..

The plan was to be a right cheap skate and cheat, I bought chrome tape from Maplin, and had a go at taping them as smoothly as possible... though quite hard to do, Ive not sucessfully done one right across, only in sections, and actually, it looked fine to..

Probably work too From a distance, but wouldn't win any prizes... or be any where near MTXM's standards...
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

Vince
Citroen go-to-guy

Post by Vince » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:42 pm

Paul i have seen this stuff on ebay, it comes in various sizes and im pretty certain with enough messing around this kind of stuff could work. You would need the bare base of the existing strip to stick it to....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHROME-STYLIN ... 416871542a

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:47 pm

Vince,

The rolls from Maplin are PRECIESLY the correct width for the crome Trim and covers them top to bottom exactley... Just needs prehaps some one as patient as you to do it. Im not that good with patience...

Ive not even noticed what the chrome is like on the new arrival yet either...

Find out this week when I can get to the Farm.

Incase you didn't know, Ive ANOTHER K reg 2.1 TD Manual XM, with NO ABS, but this time an SD, so it has the electric seats, electric rear windows, and the left hand information display and Bosch Pump...

Others

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:00 pm

Vince wrote:Paul i have seen this stuff on ebay, it comes in various sizes and im pretty certain with enough messing around this kind of stuff could work.
That's a good find Vince :D

I saw an XM once at a rally where they'd used black vinyl wrap - like the stuff they use to 'wrap' Eddie Stobart lorries - on the window surrounds and other black areas that fade and turn a funny colour.

It was excellent, you couldn't tell it from standard.

I'm sure it needs a lot of skill and patience to do a good job though... I'm like Paul there - just haven't got it...
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:55 pm

I must admit I have been tempted by the chrome adhesive roll stuff..but not sure about the correct size ect, or if it will remain stuck. That's the best I have seen so far....

I did have a go using brushed metal tape, used to tape up ducting...but crinkled like mad and tears sooo easily.
I'll have to take a look at the maplin stuff....sounds viable.

So who can find the best alternative to fool even the master ...mr MTXM. :lol:
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

Duke
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by Duke » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:58 pm

I must admit that I've seen on a Xantia V6 that someone had aerosol sprayed the inserts.

Obviously carefully masked up the rest of the moulding but the result was very good.

Colour-wise it was quite similar to the silver that the car/mouldings were. An alternative, and only costs a bit of time, prep and spray can.

You'll know the car Jim - Stempy's old V6 from the FCF...
1992 (K) Citroen XM 2.1 Turbo SD - Manual - K-BAN

Vince
Citroen go-to-guy

Post by Vince » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:06 pm

Interesting comments guys :)

Paul the one you have now is that the one from cumbria you were looking at a while back? The one with the broken front quarter?

On the chrome strips business, the ones Brian does are £57 all in which i think is fair for stainless? i did think they were £80 for some reason....

As for painting them, the only problem i could see would be the rippling of the clear plastic, it would show up more painted im sure? I have thought of blacking them, but then that wouldnt be standard ;)

Jim on the black vinyl stuff, ive discussed this with someone in the past...perhaps chris? I havent ruled it out entirely as an option but i can only think of using Fablon and trimming it once stuck on...very fiddly stuff though as youd have to get right behind each trim so that washing and wind wouldnt end up lifting the edges....

I keep reminding myself of something else you said some time back.....original cars are more interesting than showroom perfect ones ;) Certainly alot cheaper to achieve aswell :P

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:16 pm

Hi vince ..it is the cumbrian car.. nothing broken at the front just the rear drivers window is jammed half way down and the rear quarter passenger side is shattered...

looking forward to working on it.. Cills are in good order. not seen it in daylight yet still!!!

Others

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:32 pm

I would say £57 is good for stainless trims. Does that include postage?
Might try Paul's idea of that tape to see if it does work.
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

XMX
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by XMX » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:47 pm

Vince wrote:Interesting comments guys :)

Paul the one you have now is that the one from cumbria you were looking at a while back? The one with the broken front quarter?

On the chrome strips business, the ones Brian does are £57 all in which i think is fair for stainless? i did think they were £80 for some reason....

As for painting them, the only problem i could see would be the rippling of the clear plastic, it would show up more painted im sure? I have thought of blacking them, but then that wouldnt be standard ;)

Jim on the black vinyl stuff, ive discussed this with someone in the past...perhaps chris? I havent ruled it out entirely as an option but i can only think of using Fablon and trimming it once stuck on...very fiddly stuff though as youd have to get right behind each trim so that washing and wind wouldnt end up lifting the edges....

I keep reminding myself of something else you said some time back.....original cars are more interesting than showroom perfect ones ;) Certainly alot cheaper to achieve aswell :P
Hi Vince,
davetherave wrote:Brian sells them for 55 squid. ;) Very reasonable and pretty easy to do
Accordingly to THIS thread Brian was selling them for £55 a set as our 'Mr. Taub' was selling them for € 79 (Current currency conversion = £66.50) !

So perhaps that's why you where thinking that they where around the £80 mark ;)

XMX

An XM if for life, (Not just for Christmas) !