FFS, If I hear another scrappage scheme ebay ad...

Selling off one (or bits :o) of your XM collection, or perhaps searching for those elusive headlight washer covers? This is the place to do it.
andmcit
XM Guru

FFS, If I hear another scrappage scheme ebay ad...

Post by andmcit » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:50 pm

:( Silly Muppet! :evil:

Looks to be a nice car actually. Wood/leather'n air estate. Auto if you like that sort of thing>

1995 CITROEN XM VSX TURBO DIESEL AUTO GREEN
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1995-CITROEN-XM-V ... 0491417462

Andrew

Ken Newbold
Knows how to use the parking brake

Re: FFS, If I hear another scrappage scheme ebay ad...

Post by Ken Newbold » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:26 pm

It's a fact, you could buy it and then claim the £2k scrappage! provided you're prepared to sit on it for 12 months and hope the deal is still running this time next year :x

Lets hope it's not! :evil:

XMV6 sadist
Can find the S1 radio

Post by XMV6 sadist » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:35 am

Hi

There is another option which I've had a few friends do. They go onto a dealership with a friend/family member and "buy" a car for the friend/family member using their scrappage scheme car. Once out of the dealership, the ownership is transferred to the friend/family member. Obviously the dealers are happy with this since it gives them more sales and given their assistance the payment can be direct from the friend/family member even though the car V5 is in the scrappage scheme owner.

Judging by how fast the first scrappage scheme money ran out, buying a car now to wait for 12 months seems crazy.

Cheers

Tony

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:47 am

Its madness,

What Tony has described is exactly what the guy who I bought the turbo petrol xm from was going to do. But instead of using friends or family, he talked of getting the dealer to contact him when the dealer had someone with no scrappage car.

The sooner that scrappage scheme is over the better. Good cars are getting scrapped for no reason, it would be ok if it was tat like 10 year old Micras and Corsas only, and that we actually had a car industry to support, as opposed to the Korean car industry being one of the biggest benefactors of our scrappage scheme. I could keep going on, but won't bore you all to tears.

Robert
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

bitonthesidexm

Post by bitonthesidexm » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:10 am

I've just heard on the radio that it is being extended!
1994 XM Turbo Onyx in black.

onthecut
Citrobics expert

Post by onthecut » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:20 am

robert_e_smart wrote:Its madness,

The sooner that scrappage scheme is over the better. Good cars are getting scrapped for no reason, it would be ok if it was tat like 10 year old Micras and Corsas only, and that we actually had a car industry to support, as opposed to the Korean car industry being one of the biggest benefactors of our scrappage scheme.
Robert
Seconded !

Mike.

minijet
Has changed a sphere or two

Post by minijet » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:55 pm

andmcit wrote::( Silly Muppet! :evil:

Looks to be a nice car actually. Wood/leather'n air estate. Auto if you like that sort of thing>

1995 CITROEN XM VSX TURBO DIESEL AUTO GREEN
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1995-CITROEN-XM-V ... 0491417462

Andrew
looks like he's removed the nice original grey pinstripe fabric seats and installed a 'plastic looking' leather interior......presumably obtained from a S1 car judging by the door cards.

Also, the car has standard heater controls, so unlikely that it has aircon.

Paul

rowanmoor

Post by rowanmoor » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:24 pm

Perhaps he thought that climate control as written in the specs etc meant that it had aircon when really it means automatic temperature control and not necessarily aircon. You would have thought that he would have noticed it didn't blow cold though.
Rowan

94M XM 2.5 TD VSX Estate RP 6430 Forest Green

BertietheBunnie
XM newbie

Post by BertietheBunnie » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:58 pm

This happened in France many years ago and apparently the number of really old and interesting cars that were lost was unbelieveable.I don't know when but possibly in the 1980's or maybe even earlier.

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:07 pm

Early 90's! I managed to save two refugees from Nantes that had been condemned.
Two near immaculate 1974 1222 GS specials! The yard receiving them were quite
open minded about their fate once the cars left French shores (fortunately).

I my case I was fortunately able to respond to concerned calls by Citroen enthusiasts
on the ground. Some silver lining I guess.

For me it doesn't make any sense decomissioning working healthy cars just to sell new
one's - it's the least green thing anyone can do in our world of dwinding resources. In fact,
the real green target should be cars that are struggling or don't stand a hope in hell of
being eligible for the scheme and the whole charade is just a means of keeping an
untenable car manufacturing industry feeding the vain new car every other year "new is
best, old is nasty" mob.

Andrew