Another one!

Selling off one (or bits :o) of your XM collection, or perhaps searching for those elusive headlight washer covers? This is the place to do it.
Dean
Global Moderator

Re: Another one!

Post by Dean » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:18 pm

2 bids at £333 at the moment so the price is'nt exactly going throug the roof.........

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:31 pm

Lot of car fir the money - elsewhere from Citroen this would be banger money and I've very rarely seen an Xm banger!
Mind, what about that s1.5 SED in silver with an autobix and leather - ok a hydraulic pipe has gone but isn't that what
the AA recovery service is for!? ;) Was on a low buy it now originally too!?

As far as immobilisers go, I've lost count of the number of cars that I've now seen with 1111 as the code! :roll:

Andrew

jorgy
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by jorgy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:01 pm

Thanks guys for the advice -any idea on the red cables then? Could he have wired the rad fans to the ignition so they'd be ON all the time?!

Andrew, I also thought today of making an offer -couldn't wait for Sunday!- but on second thoughts I think chances are I might get a better deal if I stick to the ebay process.

We'll see, I'll make sure I'm the winner anyway.

cheers
George
'94 XM 3.0 12v LHD Manual, DIRAVI, Black - @138k, now 175k - RP6336 - SORN
'93 XM 2.1TD SED Manual, Pearl Emerald Green - @80k, now 115k - RP6077
SOLD '99 2.0 Xantia HDi Exclusive, Silver -118k to 130k
'00 XM 3.0 24v Exclusive, Silver - @117k

jonathan_dyane
Has changed a sphere or two

Post by jonathan_dyane » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:02 pm

FWIW, with regards to strut tops, I treated mine using a strategy developed over many years of driving 2cv's, Dyane's and GS's, all of which love to rust. In out of the way areas I soon discovered that one could clean back, derust and repaint meticulously, however unless I'd physically cut the rust out, it would always return. I then began to paint all repairs as before (a few coats of zinc paint followed by gloss or enamel) but on original surface-rusty underbody I instead cleaned the area up and applied a mix of used engine oil and grease. That in one fell swoop put an end to the problem, and I also began to treat inside chassis, sills etc. by tipping in oil. Messy, but effective.

But back to the strut tops; I dealt with mine by removing as much as the crappy rubber covering (both above and below) as possible, wire brushing, and the application of oil and grease from below, and simply filling the upper recess with oil, which would then perculate into the joint between the mount and inner wing. I shall continue to drop oil into the recess when I service the car, and will be very surprised if they ever rot out. There may be a cause for caution regarding the oil degrading the rubber of the mount, but to be honest I suspect it will stand up well.
Jonathan.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate
1979 Citroen GS 1220 Club Estate
1999 Yamaha FZS 600 Fazer
1991 Kawasaki GT-550
1986 MZ ETZ 250

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:37 pm

Be careful sploshing oil about the place as the rubber will rot - have you not seen GS/Cx lower
engine mounts coated in oil before? :? :shock:

The things I've seen folk wire into their cars before - tarted up amp and radio, immobiliser alarm system,
caravan electrics and charger - you name it, all delicately connected with bloody horrid scotchlocks... :evil:

Andrew

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:47 pm

Feeds for an amp will usualy be connected direct to the battery, my guess is the same as Andrews, towing electrics, if there is no towbar look behind the back bumper and there may well be a cut off wire hanging under there, seen that plenty of times before.

D

Addicted to Crackanory

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:18 pm

I'm loving the look of this silver car in the ebay pictures - wish my s2 had the same spoiler rather than the anaemic effort.
It's the first time I've had a chance to stop and catch up with things and I've finally ploughed through the war and peace
and I think the seller's off his head to believe the Bx is the car to have! I'd make certain the front bumper towing eye
cover is secured properly as it's making a bid for freedom.

Shame about the nearside wing dink and the broken glovebox handle and is that damage on the rear offside squab
= a good clean car though! Happy bidding

Andrew

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:28 pm

Glove box catch assemblies are available from aep @ £17 +postage.

D

Addicted to Crackanory

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:26 pm

He will regret his decision to move the BX. I like the BX, but I wish I kept admiring them from afar!

George, stick with e-bay on this one, I think you'll get it for a lot less than what you are prepared to pay for it. That nice Green TCT Exclusive went for little over £500 last week!
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:44 pm

Risky strategy as you never know who's out there about the snipe the auction in the dying seconds
and is entirely dependent on the price the seller is appeared to accept - wasn't this on a buy it now?

Andrew