Looking for a Citroen XM

Selling off one (or bits :o) of your XM collection, or perhaps searching for those elusive headlight washer covers? This is the place to do it.
danslb
XM newbie

Looking for a Citroen XM

Post by danslb » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:43 pm

Hello dear XM lovers.
So I have recently got a job in England and will soon be moving to your lovely island. Although somewhat premature to be looking, I will eventually need a car.
I like 80s style car designs and I think the the XM has retained and refined the 80s design school, merging it with the technological advancements that were available in the 90s. I love the way it looks although I have never driven or even sat in one. After researching I decided to try and find one and bite the bullet in terms of questionable reliability, although I understand the MK2 was more reliable and also safer due to added airbags.
I was hoping someone from the owners club here wanted to find a new home for their XM, or know about someone looking to sell.
I would be using the car as a runner, a short commute, and occasional trips to visit different parts of the UK. Maybe an odd trip over to the continent.
I would like to find something that was well taken care of, unmodified. With service history, no rust, everything working. Hopefully not too many miles, although I understand most XM engines have held up better than other features of the car such as electronics (especially in the MK1) and the suspension.
I would rather have manual drive I think, because I have the idea it gets better mileage, less prone to problems and cheaper gearbox repairs. (please correct me if I´m wrong and they are in fact reliable and economic).
If possible I would also like to have a version with the second rear window because it looks amazingly cool and unique, and quirky.
I have already begun looking on car and classic, and classics for sale, sites. I´v seen some interesting offers but I´m not quite ready to buy yet.
So if anyone knows anything about and XM for sale, and would like to let me know, I would be very grateful. Also, any advice anyone would like to give me about looking for and purchasing and XM, would be very helpful.

Many thanks and drive safely everybody!

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Re: Looking for a Citroen XM

Post by citroenxm » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:05 pm

There are a couple of 2.1 td diesels i know of.. both SED .. one J reg silver manual and one K reg auto in light green... the auto k reg is more ready then the silver .. and has working air con too...
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

danslb
XM newbie

Post by danslb » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:12 pm

citroenxm wrote:There are a couple of 2.1 td diesels i know of.. both SED .. one J reg silver manual and one K reg auto in light green... the auto k reg is more ready then the silver .. and has working air con too...
Thanks, form what you said it sounds as if both are in somewhat of a project situation. I dare say I´m no mechanic and would rather take a bit more of a hit and get something with everything intact.

Also, I realized I posted in the wrong section of the forum so if a moderator could move the thread over that would be best.

Cheers

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:22 pm

The green one K reg. has had all the welding done and is awaiting an mot. Any xm bought will need to be expected to be worked on unless it comes from an enthusiast down sizeing etc... id not buy any xm and not expect any work sadly.
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

danslb
XM newbie

Post by danslb » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:52 pm

citroenxm wrote:The green one K reg. has had all the welding done and is awaiting an mot. Any xm bought will need to be expected to be worked on unless it comes from an enthusiast down sizeing etc... id not buy any xm and not expect any work sadly.
That might make me change my mind...

Ocellia
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by Ocellia » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:34 pm

There are still a few low mile XMs left, but rare!
He said, owning one!

Not sure the mpg factor is important-just enjoy the ride and style.