2.5 Estate for Parts / V6 PRV Estate repair/parts

Selling off one (or bits :o) of your XM collection, or perhaps searching for those elusive headlight washer covers? This is the place to do it.
citroenxm
Global Moderator

Re: 2.5 Estate for Parts / V6 PRV Estate repair/parts

Post by citroenxm » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:08 am

Absolutely will..
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

White Exec
Citroen God!
Orga / RP numbers: RP7165
1996 2.5TD saloon, Exclusive, Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime, Sable Phenicien
Location: ex-Ealing, Cheshire, W.Sussex & Surrey. Now living in Sayalonga (Malaga, Spain)

Post by White Exec » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:39 am

Chris, it might help if you said where you/the car are located.
Chris
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive RP7165 Polar White
1992 BX19D Millesime RP5800 Sable
1989 BX19RD Delage Red Deceased; 1998 ZX 1.9D Avantage auto Triton Green Company car 1998..2001; 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto Wicked Red Company car 2001..2003

CJS
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by CJS » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:07 pm

White Exec wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:39 am
Chris, it might help if you said where you/the car are located.
I should have made it more obvious. Towards end of the first post. Twickenham TW1. 15 minutes from the end of the M3 when it's quiet.

Parts is better than scrap. But even better if she lives on. I'm annoyed her indoors' now sold and rarely driven Z3 took up the garage the last three years and the V6 roof lacquer suffered although I guess it must have been close to failing anyway. All lacquer gone forward of the sunroof and bits on the rest of the roof. The rear of the nearside sill was shot years ago and it affected the lowest part of the non structural bit of wing behind the door - someone supplied a bit off another car and I made a join behind the waist trim. Never welded, just pop riveted inside the door. Never painted that small area because the supplied bit was rusty and temporary, now holed - take the equivalent off the 2.5 and weld as I intended, or take the whole of the 2.5. The repair to the sill wasn't painted body colour, not a priority. Bottom edges of rear arches would benefit from treatment and painting. Chrome trim pieces not good. Rest of the body in good condition.

Two or three years (not many miles) ago rear right ABS sensor was replaced with rocking horse new sensor.

Auto shifter cracked. The dot matrix was never an issue, but now it is parked it sometimes shows bad pixels. Bulb gone in the dot matrix, bulb gone in the clock.

I've got the original CD changer somewhere, was in the boot and I removed it because it got in the way of wide loads.

Like the SED sent to Ray, it has several litres of Waxoyal underneath, refreshed annually, and I also Waxoyled inside the sills abut 15 years ago. The towbar isn't great, delaminated a bit, but that isn't part of the car as such.

Last year I thought I would at least see how easily the trailing subframe mounts would undo. On the SED, the bolt accessed from underneath snapped. After that I said I would always go in from the top. Tried that on the V6 and a nut started spinning. The bolt pressed in from the bottom. Hardly a big problem and I have a spare mount because I removed two mounts off a scrap XM at Medway when I needed one for the SED.

It's sitting there, a whole car wanting to be loved. I just don't have the bandwidth and won't for the foreseeable future. I had just insured the car when the pipe went last year, kept it insured for 11 months hoping I would find the time and energy to repair it. My backlog is just too great.

The failed pipe should have been able to stand it, but the reason the pipe failed was my MOT chap uses a pit and his assistant had lifted the car to high so the jack was freed...MOT man then got called next door to look at a motorbike MOT issue, assistant sitting for minutes with car on high and foot on brake. Pipe decided it didn't like it.

I had previously bought a full set of spheres for the 2.5, didn't fit them because the car came off the road. I think I've fitted only the fronts to the V6, plan was to fit the lot (filed in the house somewhere) apart from the anti sink which doesn't apply. The spheres are going begging, maybe shelf life has got to them. I've got some front pads for the V6 too I think, were to be fitted after the test as I don't like changing brakes just before a test if I can avoid it. From memory, V6 front discs are barely worn as I remember replacing them.

There is an oil drip on the V6 when parked. The quantity is small, but it drips onto the rear exhaust near the driveshaft. When the car next gets fully hot, you get smoke. I think it's the inclined cam cover of the rear bank that needs resealing. Or the crankcase (!) but a simpler fix would be a bit of tin over the exhaust. I believe the drip is simply a static leak, so engine running doesn't increase the output.

People used to go on about the auto box, so I changed the filter when I got the car in 2001 and for about 30k of my 50k miles I did engine and partial auto oil change every 5k. Before calming down a bit. Both changes overdue.

Aircon condenser was found to be holed when I did the head gaskets in 2003. Never replaced, I've spent too much on AC over the years. Compressor was replaced in recent times because the bearing was squealing and I didn't want to modify the belt path.

Edited to add, new/recon alternator in 2016.

Chris
Last edited by CJS on Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CJS

Post by CJS » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:13 pm

Probably doesn't tell you a lot but V6 looking for someone to be kind
2s2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CJS

Post by CJS » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:19 pm

Bump. By the end of the summer I will want my driveway back. Seems an awful waste for parts to be crushed. Whole cars to take away, I am not breaking.

Chris

Southerneruk

Post by Southerneruk » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:06 pm

shame i could do with a few small parts

CJS

Post by CJS » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:28 pm

Sadly, two crushed at the same time. Criminal to have scrapped the V6 but I did keep it going for 18 years.

Green 2.5, with two new rads and new, unused towbar had the last laugh. I'd already taken the battery to the tip and the scrap man knocks off £10 for missing battery.

Chris