2.5 Estate for Parts / V6 PRV Estate repair/parts

Selling off one (or bits :o) of your XM collection, or perhaps searching for those elusive headlight washer covers? This is the place to do it.
CJS
Knows how to use the parking brake

2.5 Estate for Parts / V6 PRV Estate repair/parts

Post by CJS » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:31 pm

Look away if you don't want a 2.5TD S2 green estate for parts, or a fair condition V6 PRV S2 blue estate requiring a pipe to fix or maybe for parts.

It is often the way that diehard classic car enthusiasts are no longer able to continue their passion due to ill health. I hadn't expected this would be me, but three years on from spinal surgery it is. I could maintain an XM, but the effort required is more than it was and demands on my time are great. I could pay a man, but caring for an XM was a large part of the enjoyment. XMs were my main car from February 1994 (SED engine number 8 that went to Ray in 2015 with fuelling problems) to May 2018 (V6 with a 2.5 alongside for a while) so it was a good run.

I have two S2 XM estates, the idea was to strip the 2.5TD which came off the road end of 2015 with pipe leaking over back axle and a realisation that every rear pipe was rotten. Then distribute the diesel specific parts and keep the rest for the V6 auto. I bought the V6 in 2001 and would have kept that car until the end of time. Last year, the V6 burst one of the pipes over the back axle (that's three out of three that did that due to the daft pipe clips) - having completed most of the MOT and just needing a brake test. The LHM started as a trickle, I limped the car home. I haven't had the chance to repair the V6 in the past year, I won't have the chance, sadly it needs to go. Therefore the 2.5 may as well go too.

Dark green 2.5 is a parts car. It was discussed here as a parts car end of 2015, I'm glad it didn't find a new home as March 2016 a drunk stepped in front of the V6. The V6 got a new windscreen, with headlight and wing mirror donated by the 2.5. Two new rads, three counting the heater matrix, only a few hundred miles before its demise but of course it has been sitting. New parking brake cables x3, the previous owner replaced the gear change cables shortly before my purchase in case they are rare. I fitted a new tow bar, never even got to use it. Interior is a disgrace, previous owners had dogs and it looked like the car was parked in a river at some point. 182k but motor was still great, not been started for three years.

Dark blue V6 has to be far too good to scrap, it literally was about to pass its test before the LHM leak last year. I can't remember whether it was the rear height corrector feed forward or the doseur return to the rear brakes, but I move the car with height on low to avoid LHM loss. I mentioned letting this car go in 2015 when I was thinking of keeping the inferior 2.5 for economy. There was no interest, it was pointed out that Exclusive estates were a UK only trick to sell more. But the XM Centre used to list about 30 sold so rare either way. Losing/lost lacquer on the roof, I've welded one sill rear before, bumper inserts tatty, interior good condition black leather. Auto shift handle cracking. Four essentially new Michelin Energy Saver+ dated 2015 and the car has been garaged most of the time since then, so tyres out of the sun. The car was cared for, got parts as needed. When the header tank started weeping I bought a new tank which forced a new coolant level sensor. I did put some Barrs into it some years ago because it lost a bit of coolant when parked. I did both head gaskets in 2003, wouldn't want to go there again. 158k, starts first time.
It pains me to let the V6 go. Even if the V6 is dismantled, that is better than the local chap scrapping it and the parts gone for good. The SED went to Ray in Liverpool, very cheaply using shiply.com. You could do worse than get either car somewhere even if to strip then scrap. Stripping the cars at my place in Twickenham wouldn't work, I just need to move on.

Now driving a C8 Exclusive auto. It's no XM, it's a van. It does however have leather seats and the comedy 300lbft twin turbo diesel.

Thanks for your interest, or not,

Chris

onza100

Re: 2.5 Estate for Parts / V6 PRV Estate repair/parts

Post by onza100 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:16 pm

A prv estate could be very useful to me for bits. However I'd rather it went to someone else for repair.

Southerneruk

Post by Southerneruk » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:52 pm

There is only one part I need to put my xm back on the road, rear suspension cylinder with gaiter. i got tons of spare parts but no cylinders

onza100

Post by onza100 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:41 pm

Southerneruk wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:52 pm
There is only one part I need to put my xm back on the road, rear suspension cylinder with gaiter. i got tons of spare parts but no cylinders
Peter if the prv comes to Bridport you would be more than welcome to that part.

CJS

Post by CJS » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:26 pm

onza100 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:41 pm
Southerneruk wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:52 pm
Peter if the prv comes to Bridport you would be more than welcome to that part.
From memory both rear gaiters have been replaced on the V6, although as onza100 says it would be better if someone wants to keep the V6 alive. The 2.5 would be a better parts donor in the short term but I want whole cars to go. As much as I want to help the community after 25 years of XM ownership, If I had what it takes to strip cars in the drive then I'd be repairing the V6. Removing struts, as surely the front are useful too, also makes it a performance to get the scrapper involved with what's left. I can just fit two cars on the drive, not the ideal space for dismantling.

If the V6 does go for parts, it's even got a recent distributor cap. The centre spring on the original went weak, that was an odd fault to spot.

Chris

Southerneruk

Post by Southerneruk » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:30 pm

Let us know as soon as you can, need to get this job done and back into the mot

CJS

Post by CJS » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:47 am

V6 for parts then, if Paul (?) wants to take it away. Suspension down.

Perhaps put the 2.5 on the roof, 2 for 1.

Chris

Southerneruk

Post by Southerneruk » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:17 am

:shock: omg i can just see that now an xm onthe roof rack of an xm :lol: :lol: :lol:

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:57 pm

I know someone who may like the v6 estate..
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:19 am

citroenxm wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:57 pm
I know someone who may like the v6 estate..
Logic says that if all it needs are some pipes, it should stay on the road.
A V6 estate is a rare car.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White