When did they get catalytic converterts?

General information about upcoming maintenance, and other events which affect the forum.
citroenxm
Global Moderator

Re: When did they get catalytic converterts?

Post by citroenxm » Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:34 pm

http://www.catcar.info/citroen/?lang=en&l=

Will give you microfitch diagrams and part numbers but don't expect dealers to have anything, it will be a case of asking hoarders (people with personal stocks) ebay or fb groups .. as well as requests here in the sales and wants section..
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:48 am

bump_drft wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:59 am

I'm not sure how to do that.

I've been looking up parts in that way but seems different parts sellers have different part numbers. I'm not sure where I can get the original part numbers. Is there a site that has a proper microfiche-style diagram lookup for parts? I've been using Amazon UK but shipping takes a while and is a pain.

Car is located in New Orleans, LA
It seems members have the Usa pretty covered now...Virginia, Oklahoma, California, Atlanta, Ohio, Florida and New Orleans. 8-)

The Vin is on the bonnet slam panel and also the metal firewall in front of the windscreen.
See Russ's post on vehicle identification. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7553

If you can't read the Vin, or it has been removed as part of import, we might be able to obtain it from the Spanish registration number.
The Vin should be on your paperwork.

With the Vin we can check the engine type, which I'm sure will be R6A, so Bosch Le2-jetronic, or Magneti Marelli G5 engine management.
The Rfz engine wasn't sold into Spain initially, only into countries that mandated catalytic converters.

From the engine management thread, already linked to but here again, you can download the correct technical information for your engine management system.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10588

At the back of each manual is a list of part numbers for that system, in both Citroen and supplier detail.

I think the Sin Plombo sticker on the fuel flap is just telling you the engine can use unleaded petrol.

I believe your engine will look like the one in this image which uses MM-G5 management. You can tell as it uses solid state ignition coil mounted where the distributor normally goes and there is no air vane metering unit mounted in the large intake ducting.
The coil appears similar to a distributor cap, but isn't.

Video of Xm 2.0i with Bosch Le2-Jetronic.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

bump_drft
Can find the S1 radio

Post by bump_drft » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:35 pm

Thank you very informative!

It's definitely the Bosch unit as it has the same (or at least very similar looking) flapper valve AFM that my E30 does. If it actually is the same unit, it might be worth noting that in my race series we developed an electronic unit that replaces the flapper AFM. Plug and play, and doesn't suffer the mechanical wear issues we were having with the factory AFMs.

https://www.panzerperformance.com/panze ... andise/afm
1990 2.0i 5-speed
Located in New Orleans, USA

bump_drft
Can find the S1 radio

Post by bump_drft » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:37 pm

citroenxm wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:34 pm
http://www.catcar.info/citroen/?lang=en&l=

Will give you microfitch diagrams and part numbers but don't expect dealers to have anything, it will be a case of asking hoarders (people with personal stocks) ebay or fb groups .. as well as requests here in the sales and wants section..
Exactly what I needed!
1990 2.0i 5-speed

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:32 am

Your link shows an Afm where they need the flap to be working doesn't it, so still mechanical.
Would replacing the Afm unit with a Mas sensor not work? Select a suitable size pipe for it to fit in and it should monitor the amount of air passing through.
A Mas sensor has the advantage it is measuring the mass of the air, not the volume, which takes into account the density.

Without checking I would think the Afm has a low voltage output at idle (sub 1v), which rises as the flap is moved until Wot and maximum revs are attained, Probably 4.5-4.8v. If so, a Mas sensor should work.

Have you downloaded the Le2-Jetronic manual and the Blink Code Reader information?
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

bump_drft
Can find the S1 radio

Post by bump_drft » Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:21 pm

Dieselman wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:32 am
Your link shows an Afm where they need the flap to be working doesn't it, so still mechanical.
Would replacing the Afm unit with a Mas sensor not work? Select a suitable size pipe for it to fit in and it should monitor the amount of air passing through.
A Mas sensor has the advantage it is measuring the mass of the air, not the volume, which takes into account the density.

Without checking I would think the Afm has a low voltage output at idle (sub 1v), which rises as the flap is moved until Wot and maximum revs are attained, Probably 4.5-4.8v. If so, a Mas sensor should work.

Have you downloaded the Le2-Jetronic manual and the Blink Code Reader information?
It uses an electronic sweep sensor instead of an exposed mechanical arm. I'll see if I can get a photo of the inside this weekend.

I downloaded the manual but still need to work on getting the codes. The car isn't showing a CEL right now. It's at a shop getting an assortment of issues fixed.

Thanks everyone for all the help
1990 2.0i 5-speed