French Car Forum - Hosting Problems

General information about upcoming maintenance, and other events which affect the forum.
Ciaran
Site Admin
Orga / RP numbers: 1234

Re: French Car Forum - Hosting Problems

Post by Ciaran » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:27 pm

xmexclusive wrote:Hi All

I have been watching Jims difficulties with keeping FCF alive and running while the service provider consistantly fails to deliver reliability.
Without Jims structured preplanning and time consuming routine Forum maintenance and back up they would have lost significant data from the site rather than the odd post each time it goes down. It seems that the help desk does not get told what the engineers are going to do to try to rectify things.
This is with a commercial service supplier selected carefully on good technical considerations and not the lowest price going.
So pleased that Jim is able and willing to put this effort in to keep a key source our cars technical information on line.
This episode reminds me that our own forum is similarly reliant on a single individual for all aspects of Forum delivery and maintenance.
Something that in the longer term we should perhaps review.
I had thought that before we got much bigger we should move our Forum to a commercial host.
Now I am not at all sure about making that change.

John
Hi John,

A very good point, and one I've been thinking about since we had that almost week-long outage in December. I've long been considering moving the forum to a commercial host, but my confidence in this has been shaken by the saga of FCF and Webfusion, a company whose services I have deployed numerous times for my own customers, usually with very good results. I know that any company can suffer problems from time to time, but in Jim's case he's had more than his fair share of problems with them lately.
Before this, I would have always recommended Webfusion to people, now, I'm not so sure.

There are of course other providers with a good reputation, but the costs can be significantly higher in some cases. I'm not saying that quality isn't worth paying for, its just if we did go down that route we would need to consider voluntary funding of some kind, like a few people were offering in the threads following the outage. I had meant to address this at the time, but due to work, and then being quite unwell for the past few weeks, hadn't had the chance yet.

Rest assured, if we did goto a commercial provider, I would be maintaining local backups of all data, in the event of a catastrophic failure, it could again be run from home, however with the nature of the internet and DNS being what it is, any such changes in server location would take days to propagate, by which time any hosting problem is likely to have been resolved anyway, catch 22. Of course the likelihood of getting such a continual succession of problems like FCF have had is slim, but it's always a possibility.
Ironically, the disadvantage of having the site hosted at home, is also its biggest advantage, in that the server is there and accessible, and someone from our ranks can get their hands on it and the data, rather than being reliant on the support staff of a hosting company.

The connection the site is currently on, is cable, and is quite reliable. I wouldn't be quite so confident about it if it was ADSL based, as that technology is inherently more prone to instability due to it's design and limitations, but nothing is infallible, and it has gone down once or twice (albeit for quite brief periods, luckily).

One thing that definitely does need addressed is having at least one other person with administrative access that can sort things out in my absence. At the end of the day, if I drop dead tomorrow, the site should be perfectly placed to continue as normal. I'm looking into finding someone we can trust, who has the necessary IT skills to maintain the thing in my absence, permanent or not. That definitely does need sorted out, regardless of what we do with the hostage situation.

Ciarán

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:07 pm

Hi Ciaran

Firstly sorry to hear about your bout of Glandular Fever. Nasty debilitating thing to get as I found out about 40 years ago.
Not sure how the treatment has changed but then it tended to hit hard the return regularly in progressivly lesser form just when you thought you were free of it.
Hope you can get clear of it quickly.
As for the web site.
I was thinking about running a read only copy site on a different web address that was regularly refreshed with a scrape of the active site.
Perhaps give it a dormant forum that can be switched in if the main site is down.
As far as internet is concerned I use O2 ADSL currently but Cable is in the house as TV(Analogue)/Phone.
Have to make a decision about that anyway as the Analogue gets switched off at the end of the month.
Most likely will get Virgin to put digital and internet in as extras and leave the 02 running as well as that is less than £3 a month.
Have plenty of spare desk top machines kicking about and also a few rack servers (collect hardware like XM's).
Not sure about my IT skills being up to maintaining the software side of things but would be willing to try.

Best Regards

John

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:15 am

FCF again this morning? Around 10:10am?? Or is it me?

Couldn't get on :cry:

Paul
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

Ciaran
Site Admin
Orga / RP numbers: 1234

Post by Ciaran » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:24 am

No I can't get it either :(

I don't think we'll ever be going with Webfusion at this rate :(

Ciarán

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:40 pm

Poor Jim!

No it doesn't look that good...

Paul
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

bobhalliday
Has changed a sphere or two

Post by bobhalliday » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:58 pm

Hi all.

Like all of the members on this forum I'm sorry to see the problems you are all getting on FCF but would like to offer a tip I use all the time when posting. When I write my post, no matter how big or small, I copy it before posting, then if for any reason it doesn't go through I can go in later and paste it into a new posting and then I haven't lost anything.
Once or twice I have written a large post and when I submitted it when someone else is submitting, or even when my connection has just failed, I lost the posting and also lost track of what I had written, a real PITA, but by copying it first I now have no trouble.

Bob.
1996 Admiral Blue XM from New RP6612 N***YBL
1992 Green XM estate as stand-by. RP5623
We are all Falkirk 'Bairns'

I thought I saw light at the end of the tunnel, but it's an express train coming this way!!!!
--

Gone, but never forgotten.

andmcit
XM Guru

Post by andmcit » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:05 pm

Generally if it's a monologue it's going to be well worth composing it in your email 'new message' window
where not only do you have a reasonable spell checker but the new "message" is saved even if you close
your email - well for me on my mac it does!

Maybe FCF lost the will to go on after my essay on Activae at 2am this morning!! :oops: :lol:

Andrew

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:29 pm

It seems to be off as much as its on but you do know you are going to be able to get into it later, so not to much of a problem.

Sorry to hear about your illness Ciaran, hope you get well soon.

Peter
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:16 pm

Update (not a good one) is here

I've honestly been doing all I can to restore service.

I'm very sorry this sage continues :cry: :cry: :cry:
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

oojimmyflip
XM newbie

Post by oojimmyflip » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:48 pm

Jim,

would it be worth the members of the forum subscribing a little more for the running costs and running the forum server at home, like the XM forum?

regards Nigel. ps the door is spot on thanx.