The future

General information about upcoming maintenance, and other events which affect the forum.
Ciaran
Site Admin
Orga / RP numbers: 1234

Re: The future

Post by Ciaran » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:27 pm

Morning folks.

Some excellent points raised there, and a few interesting name suggestions too. On the name issue though, John has made a very good case for the search engine aspect of it, so I will hold off doing anything else about that until you hear back from your guy.
With regard to growth etc though, we probably should consider having a Xantia, C5 section etc, as people obviously do diversify and move to different cars, as it was with Club-XM. Obviously it wont be the main focus of the site, but a useful sideline.

On the moderation front, I believe Paul (CitroenXM) has already expressed an interest, and we also have John, Dean? (were you offering there, I'm not sure?), and possibly Peter if you felt upto it, but don't feel pressurised if its not your thing.

Jim, I was hoping to enlist your assistance with some backend administration at some point, will give you a shout seperately.

That should about cover us on that for now.

So we're moreless in agreement about the self help section being a forum on its own, which can later be sub-sectioned if needs be. I'll get that created shortly, and expect that you guys will take the initiative on how you best think it should be laid out, I think John's suggestion of individual edited posts / threads is a good idea.

Ciarán

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:49 pm

Hi Ciaran

We may well eventually need sections for other cars, particularly Citroen and other PSA but for now I would much prefer a section that starts with links to active established sites for those cars. FCF should be top of the list not only because they helped us out, they are just the best place to send someone looking for non XM French car help. It also would do no harm to add a sub-section for us to note about common spares that can be used in XM's.

John

Ciaran
Site Admin

Post by Ciaran » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:59 pm

Sounds good, I was hoping to have associations with FCF anyway.

I'll just investigate the software and see about the best way of adding links to the forum listing.

Ciarán

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:51 pm

Ciaran
I dont mind helping out at all on the moderation side of things but i think im in about the same position as Peter, not that computer literate but willing to learn, see how things go.

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

onthecut
Citrobics expert

Post by onthecut » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:10 pm

Hi Ciaran

Given that we are all best served by the greatest possible amount of interest in the XM, I definitely think 'Citroen' should be included in the end name selected as that is likely a much bigger search entry than just 'XM'. Keen XM ers will find their way here anyway; including Citroen may bring some new recruits.

Mike.

demag
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by demag » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:31 pm

Hi Ciaran,

Will we be having a scrapyard and breaking section?
2.5td......Now sold.
BX1.6TXS
Fiat Multipla 115Elx Jtd (Not quite standard!)

Dave.

Ciaran
Site Admin

Post by Ciaran » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:44 pm

Hi Demag,

Certainly can add one, though maybe it should be a subforum of the 'Sales and Wants' forum?

Mike, you do have a good point, and it ties in well with John's earlier assertion that many non-English speaking people would tend to search for just 'Citroen' and 'XM', and other words like Forum and Club etc wouldn't feature. I am therefore inclined to say that we need to think about limiting the possible names to those. I just want to wait until John reports back regarding Google search optimisation, then we'll move to decide the name as soon as possible.

Also tonight and tomorrow I would like to create the moderation groups and get the list of people we mentioned actively administering the forums and content (not that there's much of it yet, but we're not doing too bad considering its only 3 days old!).

Can anyone think of anyone else at the minute?

Ciarán

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:36 pm

Hi Ciaran

Sorry cannot pin him down yet.
Its not been the same since just after christmas when they closed the pub he used as his office.
Has quite upset him.

John

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:49 pm

Ciaran wrote: Jim, I was hoping to enlist your assistance with some backend administration at some point, will give you a shout seperately.
That'll be perfect! Be very and extremely happy to...
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:49 pm

Just found this.

norrie Posted: Apr 20 2009, 10:05 AM

Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 54

Hi all,

Apologies again but we're still trying to resurrect the corrupt table. Please be patient. I understand its a pain but we're doing what we can.

You may find the forum unavailable periodically, even if entering by the back door. Some fixes require the board to be down whilst the fix is attempted.

Please lets not throw the baby out with the bath water here.

Regards
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset