1997 estate at Pease Pottage scrappers

Spotted an XM (or bits of one :() at the scrapyard? Post in here.
endorfin
Citrobics expert

1997 estate at Pease Pottage scrappers

Post by endorfin » Sat May 12, 2012 11:15 pm

Blue P reg estate at Pease Pottage scrap yard off the M23 in Sussex, in the Saturday Only yard, far right bottom corner hidden away. A petrol model but not sure which version, see photos below for engine bay and photos of car.

Trim level is SX but has been fitted with a very beautiful full black leather interior in perfect condition even the driver's seat and armrest. There is also a set of Citroen branded XM mats.

There was also a 7 seat conversion which I have taken and paid the princely sum of £20 for! Well please with that. Engine and everything else apart from sidelights seem intact. Be quick, this yard moves cars on quickly.

etlcsns
Knows how to use the parking brake

Re: 1997 estate at Pease Pottage scrappers

Post by etlcsns » Sat May 12, 2012 11:56 pm

That's the one I was trying to get the interior off but they wanted to much for it
Chris

2.1td estate RP5625
Interstellar mileage, well about 375,000 miles and feels it
West Sussex RH16

endorfin
Citrobics expert

Post by endorfin » Sat May 12, 2012 11:58 pm

According to someone on the XM-L group, it's been there a month now and was previously listed on ebay here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1996-CITROEN- ... 644wt_1185

Wonder how it went from being a good runner to being scrapped.

Apparently they (Bridges scrapyard at Pease Pottage) want £180 for the leather interior and will not budge on this price. I've found that at this scrapyard it can depend who you speak to, some of the lads will give a lower price than some of the others.

RGCorris
Can find the S1 radio

Post by RGCorris » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:38 am

I collected the engine from it on Saturday - the leather seats are still with it, as is a towbar. It is currently perched on top of another car in the bottom yard, which is only open on Saturdays.

Richard

XMX
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by XMX » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:06 pm

RGCorris wrote:I collected the engine from it on Saturday - the leather seats are still with it, as is a towbar. It is currently perched on top of another car in the bottom yard, which is only open on Saturdays.

Richard
Hi Richard (and welcome), now you've found This XM forum too, as you made you 'Engine Wanted Post' on the other forum, hopefully the engine is 'A good-un' !

:)

XMX

An XM if for life, (Not just for Christmas) !

kingp

Post by kingp » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:26 pm

Does anyone know if its still there at all and with interior??

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:12 am

kingp wrote:Does anyone know if its still there at all and with interior??

Looking at the dates I doubt it. I'd expect it now to be on it's third or fourth reincarnation as a cheap set of Chinese spanners.

Vehicles don't hang around scrappers for long these days....
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

kingp

Post by kingp » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:58 am

It is indeed now a block of metal. Ridiculous that these places crush things when leather always sells even in poo nick and its all a bit of cash for very little work :(

endorfin
Citrobics expert

Post by endorfin » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:53 pm

It's greed as far as I'm concerned. They'd rather crush it and get nothing (and probably pay environmental charges to get rid of it) than take a fair price for it.

I once tried to buy a pair of door ZX mirrors, took them off the scrap car and took them to reception but they wanted £15 quid each. I said you can buy new ones for a fiver on ebay (you can - & I even showed them the listing on my phone) and they just said "get them off ebay then" and chucked the mirrors in a box on the floor full of what I assume was equally overpriced used parts that potential customers decided not to pay for.

The other annoying thing is there is no consistency in price, not at this scrapper. One week a friend bought a BX headlamp and a pair of boot gas struts for a Focus, for a tenner. The gas struts failed so he went back for more and it was £8 for the pair. Surly bunch as well.

duncanh
XM newbie

Post by duncanh » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:51 pm

This was my car :-(

It was a 2L 16V SX estate.

I am the "son" that the guy who listed it on ebay mentioned who bought it off his dad. I fitted the 7 seater conversion and the full black leather interior and wired up the electric seats.

It was a good car when i sold it on - only slight problem was a heavy clutch which probably required the bellhousing split and lubing on the moving parts, but it didn't annoy me enough to investigate it further.

The engine (a 2L 16V) was a good one. I used the car as family foil for my classic cars (lotuses). It did camping trips, towed car transporting trailers, took me to the continent and general trips to Tesco.

I disagree with the sellers description on ebay that it wasn't a "cost no object" maintained car, because mechanically it was. I drove an old XM estate because I wanted to, not because I couldn't afford a newer car, and it was serviced to within an inch of its life by an enthusiast home mechanic owner.

it was like triggers broom in that almost all of it had been replaced at some point:

All spheres
99% of all the pipes
diode replacement on the regulator module
alarm ECU
Exhaust
Clutchcable
16 inch Volvo S80 "saturn alloys" and 5x Michelin tyres
two leather interiors (bought two and combined the best bits) Still have a spare rear from a S3 hatchback that provided its fronts and doorcards (which will become a topgear style sofa for my mancave...)
Catalyst
Lambda
Battery
Discs
Pads
Clutch ( whilst my dad had it)
continued ABS sensor issues/replacement
(and a million and one other items I have forgotten).

I was constantly buying new parts for this car....

as a mechanic owner I had a bit of a love-hate relationship with it (you all know what I am talking about). Still have many happy memories of floaty relaxed trips to centreparcs with the rear bike carrier on the back and luggage area filled to the gunnels with 2 weeks of family kit. 90 mph and 30 ish to the gallon and a ride like a magic carpet.... A technical tour de force.

Then there was the time when I had been held up, and had to thrash the b'jesus out of it across country roads to get back for an appointment, and I parked it up with the front wheels covered in brake dust, and the discs ticking with heat.

came back an our later to find it had gone - as the front brake discs cooled and contracted, it backed the stupid front handbrake off and the car had inched itself down the hill outside my house and come to rest parked against a neighbours wall 150 ft away! That was how it got that little scratch on the rear 3/4 that the seller mentioned in his ebay advert.

other memories of split high pressure pipes and snapped clutch cables leaving me stranded...

RIP P992 HNC

It had a happy life as a family chariot for the 8 or so years in was in my mechanical care.

I actually miss it.....