sump

Spotted an XM (or bits of one :() at the scrapyard? Post in here.
topcat1936
Can find the S1 radio

sump

Post by topcat1936 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:16 am

any one got a sump for a 2,1 engine 1995 some where in the northern regions

robertmnorton
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Re: sump

Post by robertmnorton » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:43 pm

Hi topcat, i presume it's the cast alloy one. I haven't got one, but i cracked one some years back while lowering off a trolley jack which slipped off the front cross member,then skipped backwards as the car came down on it. I removed it in situ and got it welded up. If you haven't got it off, and the engine is in the car, it isn't easy. The o/s/f corner doesn't clear the subframe. The oil level sensor needs to be removed and the oil pump restricts the amount you can jiggle it about. The a/c compressor has to come off, the engine needs to be lifted up off its mounts and the exhaust must be removed from the manifold. A real nightmare.
robertm

topcat1936
Can find the S1 radio

Re: sump

Post by topcat1936 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:10 pm

hi robert, many thanks for your very helpful info. i am just changing the engine from my high mileage ser 2, and fitting a low mileage ser 1 and changing all the ancillaries with one or two mods to make fit, come to fit aircon compressor and it wont fit, so had to change sumps and fit the ser 2 .after giving it a good clean prior to fittment and a good examination OH DEAR the dam thing is crazed with metal fatigue . and surprisingly not leaking. well it certainly can not go back like that so i must find another. i was going to fit the engine with it on and replace at a future date after sourcing another sump. well you can now see what a narrow escape i have had, all thanks to you, kind regards tony cheetham.