L592 EVN formerly J2 CXM

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
Julianw
Has changed a sphere or two
Orga / RP numbers: 4937

Re: My new project

Post by Julianw » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:41 pm

Regarding bumpers that make a break for freedom, i did some tappety tapping, bending and drilling in the shed some years back and came up with replacements for those pesky bumper brackets that love to rust so badly and/or detach themselves from the bumper. If there's a need for one or two, I'll dig out the box that all the stuff from that project went in, and see what i have...

maxferreira
Knows how to use the parking brake
Orga / RP numbers: RP6043

Post by maxferreira » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:22 pm

Yes i'd certainly be interested!

i must alsto admit, i'm rather impressed at how well my screw repair seems to be holding up.....very solid

isn't even too noticeable

now another thing to sort

belt squeal, from a cold start until the hydraulic pump kicks in to raise the car loading the engine

also had a singular squeal on my home this evening (headlights and foglights on) i'm attributing that to damp air causing the belt to slip

now, is the tensioner on these easy enough to tweak? doesn't need much at all

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:07 am

maxferreira wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:25 pm

indicator stalk is suffering in the heat, become quite sticky and had an incident of smoke from the steering column and relay chattering

Strip and clean out the indicator contacts. The grease will be contaminated with copper filings, causing it to conduct when the contacts are no longer engaged.

The alternator and hydraulic pump are driven by separate belts. Both are easy to adjust.
The hydraulic pump is held in place by a lock bolt and a pivot bolt and will need a lever to set the tension, the alternator has a lock bolt, pivot bolt and a screw tensioner.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

maxferreira

Post by maxferreira » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:02 pm

still doing great! over 3k miles into it now

i bought another mk1 C5 as a daily driver, but realised it's much too nice to daily driver (37k miles, fsh, almost mint) i realise now i'm going to continue dailying the XM

which is good, i like driving it an awful lot

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:19 am

maxferreira wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:02 pm

which is good, i like driving it an awful lot
The secret of an Xm...it's a real drivers car.
Comfort better than a Jag, or Rolls Royce, handling close to a Lotus Élan, with lots of feedback.
Prev

maxferreira

Post by maxferreira » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:34 am

It’s been very interesting comparing hydractive 2 to hydractive 3+

Both very very similar, I’d say the XM has the edge on handling but they both ride about the same

maxferreira

Post by maxferreira » Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:40 pm

likely be without this car until wednesday or so

what happened, well, part availability

in the garage for new brakes, fix the diesel leak and fix the parking brake which jammed on for me the other day

parking brake jammed you say?

why yes

in the delightful town called Yarm, local to me, went out for a short drive and came upon some temporary traffic lights, as it was dark i decided to apply the parking brake to be nice whilst leaving it in drive....god knows why

anyway, time to release, pulled the lever....thud then no resitance and the pedal was very much down

oh dear oh deary me!

to not look like an idiot i had to give it some rather heavy throttle and force it to move up the road until i could pull over

now, i am rather thankful i'm lazy and left some tent pegs in the boot

yes i did have to use tent pegs to release the rachet on the top of the pedal and make a mental not to not ever even think of applying it!

got home fine, and it's been fine for a few days since, but thought, as it was booked in for some work anyway to get them to sort it

can't wait to get it back, rather miss my tatty old girl!

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:49 am

maxferreira wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:40 pm
likely be without this car until wednesday or so

what happened, well, part availability

in the garage for new brakes, fix the diesel leak and fix the parking brake which jammed on for me the other day

parking brake jammed you say?

why yes

in the delightful town called Yarm, local to me, went out for a short drive and came upon some temporary traffic lights, as it was dark i decided to apply the parking brake to be nice whilst leaving it in drive....god knows why

anyway, time to release, pulled the lever....thud then no resitance and the pedal was very much down

Are you sure the release cable hasn't just popped off the handle?
I had the cable nipple come out after removing the lower panel for working under the dashboard. Prise off the cover, re-install nipple until it clicked in.
Prev

maxferreira

Post by maxferreira » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:17 am

i sure hope it's somethiung like that

should be back by wednesday i'd say, and hope, as i really do miss it

just still trying to get there mechanically, easier said than done!

maxferreira

Post by maxferreira » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:34 am

right an awful lot of updates here

so, i firstly decided i'd run a proper feed to the fuel solenoid which was completed absolutely fine and works well

well, i seem to have a degree of cable damage so unfortunately i lost the feed to the start motor solenoid, spent all day following wiring diagrams yet to no avail

i did remove a lot of aftermarket wiring which i thought and it looked like it was for the horrible HID headlights which were fitted when i bought the car

anyway, i've had to run a new feed to a push button i've mounted on the dash to operate the starter motor, not ideal, but it works well and likely better than the original ignition switch

otherwise, not too much to report, still a very reliable car

mind you i paid £400 for them to change the discs and pads and not fix the parking brake which was great.......

i'm taking it to the Chevrons rally at the weekend which is a 4 hour or so drive away so that'll be fun