Vince's xm - 2.1TD daily driver

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Re: Vince's xm - Planned return to the road

Post by russ92xmsed » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:17 pm

I think your very right there Vince, any owner of an XM will no doubt have to deal will rust in the sills or other places at some point. And to be honest it shouldn't be a surprise now either.

Pics look good by the way. :D
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

Eddie nuff
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by Eddie nuff » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:26 pm

Unfortunately, Vince, rust doesn't take into account whether you've got the cash to sort it out. Whichever way you go with it it going to have to be done.
89 XM 2.0Si RP4788 (Gold)

Vince
Citroen go-to-guy

Re: Vince's xm - a new toy for a week or so....

Post by Vince » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:16 pm

Well i had an interesting text last night from Will asking if i wanted to clean up the engine bay on his activa...

Of course :D is my reply so tonight i have a xantia activa outside waiting for me to give it some cosmetic tlc over the next few days :)

It feels great to have something new to play with for a week or so...ive just had a good look round it and started the process of rejuvenating some of the plastics

I had to force myself to stop as the camera is flat and Will wants plenty of pictures along the way..its getting dark now anyway so ill have to wait until tomorrow :P

Its going to take quite a few hours to get it looking its best again, but as Will has done me so many favours over the years including alot of help promoting my pallas venture, i think ill go past the engine bay and do the outside aswell :mrgreen:

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:16 am

Has Will left you the keys and insurance cover so you can enjoy the Activa properly Vince?

I really hope you do have the opportunity to take it for a decent drive and appreciate what a great car the Activa is.

I know Will's Activa and saw it just after he'd picked it up so shall be incredibly interested to see the end results of your TLC!
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

Vince
Citroen go-to-guy

Post by Vince » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:47 am

CitroJim wrote:Has Will left you the keys and insurance cover so you can enjoy the Activa properly Vince?

I really hope you do have the opportunity to take it for a decent drive and appreciate what a great car the Activa is.

I know Will's Activa and saw it just after he'd picked it up so shall be incredibly interested to see the end results of your TLC!

Ha ha, yes he did leave me the keys Jim, but sadly no insurance cover for me so as with the xm all i can do is enjoy starting it and moving it on and off the drive and turning it off again :roll:

The only activa ive ever been out in Jim was yours many years ago... ;)

Vince
Citroen go-to-guy

Re: Vince's xm - just weeks away now!

Post by Vince » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:30 pm

A quick update on recent happenings :)

Well, the company I work for have decided that all branch managers will no longer have company cars and instead be given a car allowance to run whatever car they want ;) Naturally what this means for me is the xm will have to be back on the road by the start of October :)

I broke the news to Linda tonight who will be gutted to lose the Nissan (Im quite bored of it now really), but after a bit of face pulling she has settled for life returning to the xm providing I get a stereo that accepts an I pod input, and also for me to get a sat nav as those two bits in the Nissan have been very handy to be fair.

So, I need to work on getting the welding done sharpish so that I can get it MOT'd and ready to put back on the road. I wanted it to be back on ready for the rally in September so ill see how it goes...chances are it may be at the start of October though which would suck as I wanted to come to the rally in it. Ill see what I can do ;)

On other fronts, you know the phrase "wait for a bus for ages then they come all at once"...well that's whats happened with the car work I do recently. A week before last I did a q7, then last weekend I did a Porsche boxster, then this weekend I have a Toyota to do for the guy who owns the q7, then the week after I have a brand new golf R to do...and then the week after I have an old vw scirocco to do :lol: oh and all after finishing Will's Activa bit by bit this week in the evenings :P

Im knackered im telling you as im still doing approx 10 hours a day at my day job and every other Saturday :roll:

Its a good job really though on the car front as we have a week off at the start of august and plan some days out, and also the bloody boiler has packed up. either a £170 bill to fix our old failing one (waste of money)?, or £1000 for a bloody new one...AAARRGGGHH! :o :evil:

Story of my life.....work my arse off, should be rolling in money with what I earn,...and still don't have a pot to p in :x Now its summer holidays time our food bill has already gone through the roof :shock: :cry:

If your interested in keeping up with the Pallas A.R. work, its easier to keep up on my new facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pallas-A ... izard=true :)

jonathan_dyane
Has changed a sphere or two

Post by jonathan_dyane » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:56 am

Great news that your company have changed their policy :) Hope you do make the rally.
Jonathan.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate
1979 Citroen GS 1220 Club Estate
1999 Yamaha FZS 600 Fazer
1991 Kawasaki GT-550
1986 MZ ETZ 250

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:06 pm

Vince, that's all good :D Hope though the workload will reduce soon as that's a bit unsustainable on a long-term basis.

I'd try to get as new boiler. They'll have a long warranty and also be far more efficient. I swapped my boiler from a 30 year old one to a modern condenser job and Skittish Power immediately issued a profit warning all based on my vastly reduced gas usage!

Looking forward to seeing how Will's Activa turns out Vince ;)
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:19 pm

CitroJim wrote: I'd try to get as new boiler. They'll have a long warranty and also be far more efficient.
That depends on how old and inefficient the original boiler is.

I wouldn't be rushing to change a half decent boiler, but then I would fix the old one myself.

What's wrong with it, Vince?
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:24 pm

Vince wrote: Well, the company I work for have decided that all branch managers will no longer have company cars and instead be given a car allowance to run whatever car they want
Will there be restrictions on the car and age?
How will they pay the allowance, monthly sum + mileage?
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White