Russ's 2.1 SED Auto now in Mandarin

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Re: Russ's 2.1 SED Auto now in Mandarin

Post by russ92xmsed » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:20 pm

It was great to see you Matthew too. Thank you for your kind words. It has been upsetting, naturally, and even more so when I was the only car owner in the pile up. The rest were works vehicles. So I have come off worse than the others. But I believe everyone was fine. The lorry driver did have a close call, as the van that he hit had ladders poking out the back of it. It smashed the windscreen. Luckily he was wearing sunglasses, or he could have been badly effected by the tiny shards of glass in his eyes.

But Moreen is a very fine replacement, and the colour has been a hit with everyone in my family!
I hope to get a decent amount for it. I suppose the best thing to come of this, apart from being able to replace it so quickly, is the knowledge I have so many spares now to use. Knowing I have an entire engine and gearbox , and hydraulic parts spare has taken a lot of anxiety out of owning the new XM. Now I can really appreciate why so many do it!
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

citsncycles
Knows how to use the parking brake
Orga / RP numbers: RP 5709 - Turbo SD

Post by citsncycles » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:08 pm

I think it's the only way I'd ever end up with a parts car - when I buy one it always seems to end up becoming a project!
Mike Sims
Mk1 XM Turbo SD
Lots of other Citroens, including 3xBX, GS, Visa, Dyane, Dyane Nomad, 2CV, HY pickup.
Also Land Rovers, Trabant, DKW cars, Honda, Ural, CZ, Mobylette and Puch motorcycles, and lots of bicycles and tricycles.

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:04 pm

citsncycles wrote:I think it's the only way I'd ever end up with a parts car - when I buy one it always seems to end up becoming a project!

Thats happend twice now. Ive bought a D 2.1 manual for parts. It was too good and I sold it on after a new clutch was fitted.. I then rescued a 2.1 sd manual for parts and again it got a light resto and head gasket clutch and some welding and it too then sold on.. ive still 5 of them of which one is my 24v manual s1 and another 12v auto sei lpg and a 2.1 td auto and a 2.1 td sed manual..
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:44 pm

My anger resurfaced today as I had to move forward the grey XM so the garage door could be opened. And it started and ran so sweetly. Rose up immediately, once the wheel had cleared the bumper!. Betrayal is one word to describe how I feel and annoyed it has to be dismantled. Still, I have the engine to use in the future. :D

I have been tidying up the Mandarin XM a little. Just preventative stuff mostly. Little underseal here and there and greasing things such as doseur valve pivot linkage, sunroof ect. I also have been painting my SED badges. Just need to clear coat them to seal the silver paint.

Have got a squealing belt however. Only whilst cold. So something needs adjusting or replacing, ie aux or and hydro belts. I have already tightened the hydro belt. But it still makes a noise. It does disappear once all warm though.

And as expected, the colour has confused the neighbours. :lol:
Russ

Also

messerschmitt owner
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by messerschmitt owner » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:43 am

Russ

sorry your gorgeous S1 has met its maker.

If you need somewhere to break it from, do let me know as it can come to mine for a short while. If not, don't forget I have an engine hoist you can borrow.

Campbell
Image[/url]
IMG_0865 by messerschmitt owner, on Flickr

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:37 pm

Hi Campbell,

It is a shame, but hey ho. Move on. ;) many thanks for the offer to strip it at your place, but I do have a large garage and it will be done there. However, if I could borrow your engine hoist, that would be amazing. Thank you. I will let you know when I get to that point. :D
Russ

Also

messerschmitt owner
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by messerschmitt owner » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:49 pm

Russ

not a problem - let me know - it's a standard Clarke one tonne folding crane and I have a couple of chains and shackles for it too. Easily fits in the back on an XM with seats folded.

Campbell
Image[/url]
IMG_0865 by messerschmitt owner, on Flickr

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:57 pm

Fantastic. Thanks so much. :D
Russ

Also

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:11 pm

LOL. All this engine crane rubbish.. whats wrong with you! LOL

I do it the other way... front off, then disconnect steering rack UJ, hubs drive shafts off... BOTTOM engine mount off, dont worry the engine top mount and gearbox mount will hold the engine in place..

Then theres 4x subframe holding bars from chassis to subframe .. disconnect bottom rad hose to rear of engine..

disocnnect all hydraulic hoses from engine to subframe and also the brake valve pipes too and DROP the front subframe first.. The pipes to the rear will come down with the frame... you can then work on them if brutal CUT them, but I done regeme of saving all pipes if good.

Work on getting the frame out the way.. you can then remove exhaust ETC ETC and drop the engine down with a couple of trolly jacks...

Anyway, if you can get a hoist... then use one... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:28 pm

:lol: :lol: great tips Paul. Cheers. I might stick to the hoist though! :lol:
Russ