L592 EVN formerly J2 CXM

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
maxferreira
Knows how to use the parking brake
Orga / RP numbers: RP6043

Re: My new project

Post by maxferreira » Sat May 28, 2022 10:03 pm

So as sainsbury's have transferred me to work at a store 2 miles from home, i'm now going to use this for the commute
quite simply due to it coping with short journeys better than my C5 would

i'm still very on the fence as to if this is a keeper or not, now, i will be restoring it to a reasonable standard don't worry

but for now, i'm just enjoying it, already done over 100 miles in it and it's going quite well

i do have a rattle on the harsher bumps....unsure as to what that could be

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Sun May 29, 2022 6:55 am

maxferreira wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 10:03 pm

i do have a rattle on the harsher bumps....unsure as to what that could be
Probably the anti-roll bar drop links.
Does it clonk on uneven surfaces and one wheel dropping into dips?

These do tend to make a noise at the slightest wear as unusually, they are metal to metal joints, whereas most cars use rubber, or metal to plastic joints.

To test either rock the car side to side while listening, or jack the car up and lever the ARB down while checking for any movement in the joints.

You can fit these without removing a roadwheel, just raise to max height, turn to full lock and work round the tyre.

If it is these and you are going to replace, use a quality brand, cheap ones last about ten minutes.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Sun May 29, 2022 8:30 am

Should they have not been checked on the newly 3 day old mot? My mot man is dead keen on them..

Without knowing if the rattle is front or rear it could also be brake pads if the antirattle spring has come out..

My old K reg v6 sei developed a rattle at the rear.. Never did find out what it was..
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

Julianw
Has changed a sphere or two
Orga / RP numbers: 4937

Post by Julianw » Sun May 29, 2022 10:58 am

I'm not a lover of lights-on-stalks either. There's too much scope for different manufacturers to do their own thing and make changing vehicles really confusing. A chunky, simple, rotary control is far better.

Fascinating, the backstory to the cruise control location and the steering wheel controls. Thanks!

Julianw
Has changed a sphere or two
Orga / RP numbers: 4937

Post by Julianw » Sun May 29, 2022 11:02 am

citroenxm wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 8:30 am
Should they have not been checked on the newly 3 day old mot? My mot man is dead keen on them..
My experience has been a total lack of interest in drop links on the test (as long as they're not missing.) Last time i put a modern through a test, it had a completely shredded rubber on a droplink and it wasn't even an advisory. Perhaps the tester was just distracted.

maxferreira

Post by maxferreira » Sun May 29, 2022 12:08 pm

it's had new drop links on it

the rattle was there before, hard to describe, can't be felt in the steering etc and only on harsh bumps at low speed

maxferreira

Post by maxferreira » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:25 pm

rattle was a loose brake disc, easy enough to sort.....not the nicest thing to hear after you've been hooning the car

anyway, 500 or so miles covered in it now, no real issues, i really do quite like it

machine polished it, cleaned up the dash, fitted a radio, got it serviced and getting new tyres fitted in the morning

only things now is, no interior lights (cables caught fire, made it safe) drivers window regulator and blower fan not working

i've been using this car every single day and i really like driving it, i must admit i prefer the C5 as a daily and still use that every day for my long trips etc but the XM is fantastic

tyres wise, i would go for Michelin's but got an absolutely fantastic deal on a pair of Goodyears brand new locally, £45 each fitted as part of a special offer, the fronts on this are very cracked and i'm not overly comfortable driving on it

please see the images attached, you'll see quite a transformation

also removed some horrible moudly felt from the top of the intrument binnacle and removed all the broken fake leather effect from the gear shifter (doesn't look too bad, actually looks a lot better)

stilla bit to do, such as repaint and fill below the door trims and and few little jobs, but i reckon i've saved this one
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

maxferreira

Post by maxferreira » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:26 pm

also set the clock, which iw as told was broken? holds time fine and the external temp seems fine

dash looks even better than that now, got almost all of it off now

had a return pipe split on me yesterday, not a big deal, thankfully there was enough slack in the pipe to just remove the broken part and re attach it

brakes are excellent, ABS works, sunroof doesn't work

maxferreira

Post by maxferreira » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:29 pm

now unfortunately i'd not had any luck with the stereo's kindly provided by paul (i will drop those off to you next month i promise....cleaned them all up for you too)

so i hopped on ebay and bought this for £5

it's actually very good, sounds great, works well

perhaps even a better unit than the standard fit, never used an aftermarket stereo before but i must admit this one seems very good

plus for £5, how can i moan about it at all, works perfectly
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

maxferreira

Post by maxferreira » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:30 pm

this is my comparison for C5 vs XM in my opinion

Xm floats more, and I dare say is softer and doesn't get caught out on sharp bumps as easily

However, it's too soft due to the wrong spheres and can bottom out on some undulations

C5 whilst being very slightly firmer is more composed and stable

The issue with the XM, if you brake any harder than normal the nose goes right down which is quite uncomfortable actually

C5 is lighter to drive

XM has more comfortable seats

C5 is much more refined and quieter

Now the engine side of things

I like the classic turbo diesel shove of the 2.1 in the XM, its excellent and sounds great......

But the low down torque of the HDi gives it the edge.....and quite frankly the HDi is one of the best diesel engines of all times

Gearbox

The AL4 in the C5 is much more intelligent and predictable, not the smoothest but we're not counting that due to the milage......

The 4hp18 in the XM is smooth, however a little too willing to kick down, it also loses points for no second gear lockup, making town driving inefficient

C5 is better built, plastics feel more solid and has better corrosion resistance

The C5 is a better car, its smooth, well equipped, reliable and comfortable

XM has more character and its excellent in its own way

Now, you have to remember the C5 is 10 years newer and of the next generation than the XM so of course its going to be better

For a daily driver, C5 hands down.....to the point where I'd say its perhaps one of the best cars from the early 2000s

For a toy/second car the XM is superb, well equipped enough to make you satisfied, performs well and it's a great car

I love the effortless cruising of the C5, its definitely staying as my main car, the XM is nice to use occasionally and always puts a smile on my face

Conclusion

C5 is a better car, but, I absolutely love them both and wouldn't change them for the world