XM V6 Sei finally going for restoration

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
dcz1643
Knows how to use the parking brake

Re: XM V6 Sei finally going for restoration

Post by dcz1643 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:11 pm

dcz1643 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:38 pm
Dieselman wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:46 am
dcz1643 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:38 am

Wow, thank you for this. It is so detailed I am tempted to do the job myself. Although we have now arranged to have the car taken to Barry, so I will stick with that option for now. I am concerned about cost, I don’t have bottomless pockets but we are so far along with this now, it needs to be finished. It’s going over something next week, Barry said he is very busy so it could be a little while before he looks at it but he wasn’t fazed by the list of failures. Cheers…Derek
Barry is busy, you need to get the car back in time for your free retest, you have a good friend that would like to spend some time with you...car time...beer time.
Order your steering rack gaiters and pinnion seals, (you might not need the passenger side ball cover, they last very well), stuff your overalls and a crate of beer into your car and go and spend some bonding time with Peter.
If necessary, obtain a known good s/h rack to stuff in, then you can rebuild yours at your leisure.

Once again, we see that spending money on labour to fix an Xm is a fools errand. Spend your money on parts, save the labour cost and learn about your car in the process. There is nothing you can't fix yourself on an Xm.
A Citroen/Peugeot/Fiat/Vauxhall dealer might be able to supply the parts quickly.

As an aside, for the handbrake, it is possible the cable has jumped out of the operating lever on the brake caliper due to being too slack. If so, using mole grips operate the lever and refit the cable nipple, then adjust the cable so it has a little less slack, so the cable can't jump out again.
If the cable has come off at the equaliser it will just push back in and clip in, once released from the caliper.

Xm are easy to work on if you think how they were built on the assembly line. Each task was performed in only a few seconds and items like cable connections have guides to make them clip together straight away with a single push.

All the underbody components were built as one module carried on front and rear subframes. This module was then lifted under the car and bolted in place.
To gain access, just unbolt and lower the subframe and all is available.

Watch this video to see how an Xm was built. A powertrain goes in at 2:14.
The Rennes factory was the most advanced and robotised car plant in the world, which is how a complex car is built for less cost...less labour.
Even the headlamp aim and wheel alignment was set by robot.

Thanks for this, some well made points. I am not sure Peter wants to tackle the work in his garage, as he has other projects he needs to move on to. I completely understand about not paying for Labour and to be fair, once the car is back, I will be doing everything myself. As I have said before, I have been working on cars since I was 17 and that was a long time ago. The problem at the moment is that things haven’t gone the way I would have liked and it just need to get the car through a test and then home. There will still be plenty to do when it finally comes home and I really appreciate all of the advice and support from you guys. Cheers, I will keep the thread updated, when I have news.
Great Video👍
Derek
1990 Citroen XM V6 SEi (SORN)
1997 Ford Explorer V6
2011 Jaguar XF Diesel Sport
1974 Triumph Spitfire 1300

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:31 am

dcz1643 wrote:
I am not sure Peter wants to tackle the work in his garage, as he has other projects he needs to move on to. I completely understand about not paying for Labour and to be fair, once the car is back, I will be doing everything myself. As I have said before, I have been working on cars since I was 17 and that was a long time ago. The problem at the moment is that things haven’t gone the way I would have liked and it just need to get the car through a test and then home. There will still be plenty to do when it finally comes home and I really appreciate all of the advice and support from you guys. Cheers, I will keep the thread updated, when I have news.
Fully understood.
It's a shame it's worked out this way, but Barry will sort it all out for you.

Another video, if you're interested. Includes more production line scenes.

This is also in the Video's thread in the General section of the forum.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8329
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

dcz1643

Post by dcz1643 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:18 am

Dieselman wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:31 am
dcz1643 wrote:
I am not sure Peter wants to tackle the work in his garage, as he has other projects he needs to move on to. I completely understand about not paying for Labour and to be fair, once the car is back, I will be doing everything myself. As I have said before, I have been working on cars since I was 17 and that was a long time ago. The problem at the moment is that things haven’t gone the way I would have liked and it just need to get the car through a test and then home. There will still be plenty to do when it finally comes home and I really appreciate all of the advice and support from you guys. Cheers, I will keep the thread updated, when I have news.
Fully understood.
It's a shame it's worked out this way, but Barry will sort it all out for you.

Another video, if you're interested. Includes more production line scenes.

This is also in the Video's thread in the General section of the forum.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8329
Thanks for this, I do love these old videos. Mine still has the European Car of the Year sticker on the rear screen😁👍
Derek
1997 Ford Explorer V6

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:43 am

The C o t y stickers have been reproduced for cars that have them missing. Having an original one is a nice touch. I've got a repo one here somewhere .. waiting to put it in the correct car.. lol
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

dcz1643

Post by dcz1643 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:28 am

citroenxm wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:43 am
The C o t y stickers have been reproduced for cars that have them missing. Having an original one is a nice touch. I've got a repo one here somewhere .. waiting to put it in the correct car.. lol
That’s interesting, it’s amazing what you can get these days😁👍
Derek
1997 Ford Explorer V6

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:32 am

Theres a memeber on here.. russell wallace who has re produced all the under bonnet sticker, the one that goes on the ecu box top, the lhm one the oils one on the slam panel.. etc..

Others

dcz1643

Post by dcz1643 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:11 pm

citroenxm wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:32 am
Theres a memeber on here.. russell wallace who has re produced all the under bonnet sticker, the one that goes on the ecu box top, the lhm one the oils one on the slam panel.. etc..
Well done that man, details are important. I am lucky in that, because my car has never been messed with, I am guessing all of the original labels are there (unless they have fallen off)🤔
Derek
1997 Ford Explorer V6

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:46 pm

We will soon let you know with an under bonnet shot or at a rally

Others

dcz1643

Post by dcz1643 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:28 pm

citroenxm wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:46 pm
We will soon let you know with an under bonnet shot or at a rally
I am sure you will :D
Derek
1997 Ford Explorer V6

dcz1643

Post by dcz1643 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:24 pm

Hi All, I know I have been very quiet for some time. We kind of hit a bit of a wall, when the V6 failed it’s test on so many things but in particular the knackered steering rack. Anyway, we took the car to Barry the Citroen man about 3 months ago and left it with him. I then buggered off to Canada for an RV trip, so I was gone a month. Barry is a very busy guy but he has gone over the car and we have agreed today that he will do all of the work required for the MOT and put it through its test. This includes fitting a brand new steering rack. He is doing all of this for a reasonable price and I am very pleased. It will be a couple of weeks before he starts, as he has other cars to do but I will keep the forum updated. So I am finally confident that my old XM will be hitting the road, this year😁
Derek
1997 Ford Explorer V6