Repairing BKJ

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
Julianw
Has changed a sphere or two
Orga / RP numbers: 4937

Re: Assessing BKJ

Post by Julianw » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:28 pm

Again, thanks!
This place etc...

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:42 pm

Julianw wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:28 pm
Again, thanks!
This place etc...
Which place. ? ... .what about it. :lol:
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

Julianw

Post by Julianw » Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:44 pm

So... assessing has now progressed to, as an encouraging friend (and partner in automotive restoration crime*) said "have at it"
IMG_20231004_153717.jpg
So i am...

And here come the questions:

Will there still be pressure in the pipes to the rear subframe? I've not opened the pressure release valve but the engine has not run in months, so no LHM pressure has been raised in months either, and I've emptied the LHM reservoir with a turkey baster

I'm starting with chassis rail repairs at the very back, then swapping the rear subframe for a better one I've stockpiled, hence the need to disconnect pipework

*Crime in this context is subjective. The things he plans to do to a 97 Range Rover Classic are criminal in my book. Tenure of a hydro Citroen is a crime in his :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Julianw on Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Julianw

Re: Repairing BKJ

Post by Julianw » Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:50 pm

Also, as i need to swap everything (usable) from old to new subframes, am i better removing the big bits like hubs and radius arms from the subframe while the subframe is still on the shell, and i have the weight of the car to lever against?

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:56 pm

No.. as they are sinkers there is little pressure once the pump is stopped. The rear cylinders may have fluid in.. use a jack to lift the arms up and compress them as much as possible to empty them .. there will always be residue of fluid in the lines but no pressure.

Take the frame off complete... is the replacment of the same eira of age, later ones have.small differences for anti sink sphere and anti sink valve.mointing etc. Strip it down on the.flooor. go easy on the anti roll bar bolts that can snap the inner captive nut off.. which can involves more fun ..

Great to see her getting love again.

Others

Julianw

Post by Julianw » Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:11 am

Thanks Paul! I'll take a close look at the replacement subframe when tonight/this morning's beer has worn off...

Iirc, I procured it and a front subframe from generous soul Kev in Bridgewater or Taunton, some years back when he no longer saw the use in keeping them. If i can backtrack to the conversation, it may record their details

Julianw

Post by Julianw » Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:14 am

Found it. I got them from red_dwarfers in 2018 and he described them as S1 items...

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:07 am

Sorted then all good to go..

Others

Julianw

Post by Julianw » Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:21 pm

Small progress - tank emptied and removed, also rear brake shields removed (both will need a little metal 'letting in' before they go back on). Slight sob here as i ended up destroying a rear ABS sensor in the process :( I learned from this that it's better to leave the sensor in the hub, and use the massive grommet where the cable routes through the shield, to fully remove the shield.
On the plus side, none of the bolts that secure the brake shields sheared, but all put up a right old fight and will need replacing come rebuild time.
The return line LHM leak is still very much in evidence though, so i hope I'll be able to find the failed bit of pipe, though I favour replacing entire pieces of pipe if i can. Either way, I'll need to obtain the correct flare dies before i get to that.
As long as this weather holds, I'll keep chipping away at the jobs, but might invest in a garage/workshop tent affair to keep the opportunities up and BKJ dry...

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:26 pm

I have flareing tool kit with 3.4, 4.5 and 6.5mm flare dies Julian you can borrow if you like. You can buy the pipe and flares from plieadies and I'm guessing cheaper to flare yourself .. if you want to come and collect to borrow you be most welcome.

Others