Just got an XM! ['92 TDi Estate, J71 MCW]

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
gwolfski
Knows how to use the parking brake

Just got an XM! ['92 TDi Estate, J71 MCW]

Post by gwolfski » Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:12 am

Hi XM Forum!

I have just gotten myself a '92 TDi Estate, in need of some work, hoping I can get a few pointers with a few things.

It's got a snapped clutch cables, the brakes only work (barely) with the engine running, and it's got hydraulic leaks. And half the electronics don't work but that's probably just from sitting for a while (it was last on the road in 2016)

Last edited by gwolfski on Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1992 2.1 TD Estate, in green

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Re: Just got an XM!

Post by Dieselman » Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:40 am

Good to see that one is going to be saved.

If the clutch cable is actually a complete unit, with the bell crank still intact, having a new cable made up will sort it.
There is an upper cable, a lower cable and a bell crank, that makes up the complete assembly.
They are simple, but fiddly to fit.
Unclip the plastic connector from the clutch pedal and then pull the bell crank unit into the engine bay. When refitting ensure the upper section is installed before connecting the lower cable to the clutch release arm.
The part number is 2150J7, but a 2150J5 can also fit as that is also for the Me5T gearbox.

Finding a complete clutch cable unit is going to be a challenge, but let us know which part is broken and we can offer solutions.

Xm brakes are powered by the engine, so it's logical they don't work without it, but ensure the bell crank in the scuttle is well lubricated, other wise the brakes may be jammed on solidly once the engine is running.

The rest we will work through as you come to it.

The wiring diagrams for your car are in the linked thread.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10268

I note your car is sitting on itallia alloy wheels, which were never an option for the estate, the correct estate wheels being Etoile (wobbly web) alloys, which are heavier in their appearance, than itallia wheels, so imho, suit the greater bulk of estate more.
See paint and trim thread.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7553

Xm estate on Etoile wheels.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:20 am

Reg is familiar.. but can't place it. . .I may have a green filler flap or if the hinges or broke a hinge assemble.

Se in estste form and mk.1 fairly scarse car, J is first year of the estate and last year of 2.1td being offered in manual only as the auto option came along. (If I have my data correctly, it can be a bit sketchy sometimes)
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

gwolfski

Post by gwolfski » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:12 am

Thank you for your responses.

I did find a clutch cable assemnly under some loose trim parts in the back, hopefully this one is working. Also found a few bottles of the hydraulic fluid, which means I can ignore the leak *ahem* I mean I have more time before the leak is a big problem.

Looking up the reg, it says it's an automatic trasnmission, so either registered wrong or swapped? Pretty sure it's the right reg, the last MOT failed on a cracked windshield and this one has a cracked windshield.

I've got the filler flap inside the car (it's the part of the car with the best paint on it :lol: ), no idea if the hinges broke.
Dieselman wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:40 am
Xm brakes are powered by the engine, so it's logical they don't work without it, but ensure the bell crank in the scuttle is well lubricated, other wise the brakes may be jammed on solidly once the engine is running.
What happens if the engine is stopped while driving? I'm guessing there's residual pressure in the system? And the parking brake I suppose (which is broken on this one)

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:53 am

There is a 7th sphere on the pressure regulator mounted on the gearbox, the sphere fitted to it if its in good order usually has enough reserve to stop the car in an emergency. However the foot operated parking brake should also be powerfull enough to stop the car in the same situation. .

Others

gwolfski

Post by gwolfski » Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:42 pm

How in the world is one supposed to get at th clutch pedal linkage. I'm contorting myself like some circus artist and just can't see the clip (or where it would mount to, if it's snapped off)

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:44 pm

Its not a.stand alone clip its meant to be moulded to the end if the short cable which you can change on its own ...

Others

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:46 pm

The pedal has a claw hook on the top facing towards the driver which i assume when you pass a replacment through from the engine bay side.it should hook over the hook itself.

Others

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:54 am

Releasing the cable end from the clutch pedal is a bit awkward, but it just needs the right knack.

Disconnect the cable from the clutch release arm on the gearbox.
Remove the under-dash panel and look up and you can see the white plastic connector piece.
With the pedal in the relaxed position reach up and push the plastic connector off the top of the clutch pedal hook against the plastic guide pressure, then press the pedal down.
The plastic connector will now be disconnected, so go to the engine bay and reach round to the cable bell crank unit and pull/pry it towards the front of the car, to pull the upper cable out of the guide.

Your car doesn't have Egr fitted, so there should be enough space to wiggle the cable out from the back of the engine pretty readily.

When installing the new cable ensure the clutch pedal is in the upper position, then route the lower cable round the back of the engine and into the cable ring, post the upper cable into the guide and keep pushing in until the plastic connector clips onto the clutch pedal, then fit the other end to the clutch release arm.
It was designed to be fitted in a few seconds on the assembly line, so the plastic guide directs and clips the upper connector to the pedal just by pushing the cable in.

If you struggle to gain enough slack to be able to fit the lower cable to the release arm, reach round the intake manifold with a screwdriver and press the lower cable into the sheathing by pushing on the round collar.
This will release the locking collet so allow the lower cable to be pulled out of the sheath more, against the spring pressure.

Under no circumstances throw away the bell crank unit, they were only ever made for Rhd Xm and Peugeot 605 and are not available anywhere.
Cables and the actual bell crank can be repaired/remade.

The difference between a cable for 2.0 petrol Xm with Be3 gearbox and all others with Me5T gearbox is the length of the lower cable.

As said, the regulator sphere provided a reserve of pressure for the main, high pressure hydraulic circuit, which is where the front brakes are fed from, the rear brakes are fed from the rear suspension, so until the rear of the car is riding on the bump stops there is rear brake pressure.

Citroen hydraulic systems are really simple, so don't be nervous of them.
See thread:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10291

Citroen built the car and recorded it as a manual transmission.
Prev

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:05 am

citroenxm wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:20 am
Reg is familiar.. but can't place it. . .I may have a green filler flap or if the hinges or broke a hinge assemble.

J71 MCW was Robert Smarts car, which you and He were under the back of at the Cxm rally in...2011, iirc. It's an early Sd-turbo.

https://www.club-xm.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... =19&t=3626

It was then sold on again in 2021 having been stood for some time.
https://www.club-xm.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10129

Only 3.0 estates were sold in Se trim and they had the Etoile alloys fitted. Etoile alloys were designed for the estate and only available when it was launched, they were then fitted to salons as well after then, but in my opinion appear too solid for the saloon body.
Prev