Robert's Turbo SD

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
Ciaran
Site Admin
Orga / RP numbers: 1234

Re: Robert's Turbo SD

Post by Ciaran » Sun May 18, 2014 7:19 pm

Hi Kieran,

I assume you now own DEG?
I owned it after Robert, in fact I regret moving it on, one of the nicest XMs I've ever had.
Glad to see she's being well cared for!

Ciarán

kieran.l
Can find the S1 radio
Orga / RP numbers: 5679

Post by kieran.l » Sun May 18, 2014 7:37 pm

Hi Ciaran,

Yes I now have this car! From my short time with it so far it seems like a lovely car. Brought it from Dublin yesterday and it was cruising lovely!

Oh now I'm slightly confused because the guy that I bought it off (Alan Brazil) said he bought it from Robert... But Alan did give me some info and paperwork with the car and there is a V5C form with your name (I assume...) on it - it's dated 27/05/12

Where in Ireland are you? Are you the new Xminations columnist?

Apologies for the questions! :)

Kieran
Last edited by kieran.l on Mon May 19, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kieran

1984 BX 19 RD
1993 XM 2.1 Turbo SD (RP 5679)
2006 C4 coupé 1.6 HDi
(and solver of problems relating to my uncles 1995 Xantia 1.9TD)

Ciaran
Site Admin

Post by Ciaran » Mon May 19, 2014 11:02 am

Hi Kieran,

Yes, there's a bit of confusion around the ownership which I will clear up for you;

The car was originally in Carlisle in England, and was brought over here by a guy from Derry, I can't remember his name but Robert probably will.
Robert then acquired it from that fella, which you see in the beginnings of this thread. Some 6, 8 months later, I bought it from Robert in the summer of 2010.

While working in Belfast one night in late January 2011, the car developed the dreaded hydraulic leak over the rear subframe. I had neither the time nor the tools to sort it so I had the AA deliver it to Willie Johnston in Cavan (you've probably heard of him :lol: ).
Anyway, due to work and personal circumstances I was unable to go and get it and the car lay down there for several months (along with my other S1 XM but that's another story).

Finally, Robert and I spoke and he said that he was interested in re-acquiring DEG, so we did a deal where in exchange for another car, I traded DEG and my other diesel S2 to him (for spares), Robert then put it back on the road and sold it to Alan, which is where you then come in :lol:
So the registration documents would have still been in my name as it never really passed back in to Robert's ownership as it was going straight to Alan.

Speaking of which, I recently found some documents and paperwork for it which I'd been searching for for a couple of years, if you PM me your address I'll throw them down to you, or perhaps at one of the meets / events? :)

I really loved that car and I was gutted I had to let it go, just circumstances. It was honestly the nicest, softest riding suspension of any XM I've ever driven, beautiful colour, and has the fantastic S1 looks with such a sweet 2.1 manual, ahaaaa good times.
You better bloody look after it or I'll be down there! :lol:

Not many pics of it in my ownership that I can find, but a couple from here:

Spotted by Luke Parked in the snow while I was working:

At 2am on a Monday morning outside the Grand Canal theatre in Dublin - Long story that one, I was just bored one night about 11:30 so decided I'd take a drive from Belfast to Dublin for the craic, had a great night driving round random places that you can't go during the day, pity about the crap phone shots :lol:

Some videos of driving around that night too but can't find them, will have another look.

Yes, I'm the new XMinations columnist, I await the hate mail :D

Ciarán

razor
XM newbie

Post by razor » Mon May 19, 2014 7:28 pm

robert_e_smart wrote:Image
Robert, is it 205/65 or 205/60 fitted to the car on this picture?
XM TCT VSX break -97 C5 2,0 HDi break -09, CX TRE -87, XSARA 1,6 break -00, Peugeot 307 HDi -05

kieran.l
Can find the S1 radio

Post by kieran.l » Mon May 19, 2014 10:07 pm

Ciaran wrote: Yes, there's a bit of confusion around the ownership which I will clear up for you;
Ahh ok I see. Nice to know the history of the car :)

I will take good care of it alright! I won't be using it as my everyday car, I will be housing it inside and it'll most likely only come out in the summer (a mk2 BX will have to be sacrificed but it isn't roadworthy, so not such a big deal).

It's a pity circumstances went against you. It is a lovely drive alright...on the drive down from Dublin at least! Can't wait to take it home on our twisty and bumpy country roads down here to give it a proper test ;)

I can send you my address alright. Will you be going to the rally in Clonmel at the end of June?

I like those pics, especially the one in front of the grand canal theatre :)

Good look with Xminations, I haven't seen the April Citroenian yet, hopefully its waiting for me at home! ;)

Kieran
Kieran

1984 BX 19 RD
2006 C4 coupé 1.6 HDi

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Tue May 20, 2014 6:13 am

Hi Razor,

The are 65s.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

razor
XM newbie

Post by razor » Tue May 20, 2014 7:56 am

robert_e_smart wrote:Hi Razor,
The are 65s.
Okej, thank you. It looks good I think, not too fat. Have you noticed a difference in handling when using 65s insted of 60s?
XM TCT VSX break -97 C5 2,0 HDi break -09, CX TRE -87, XSARA 1,6 break -00, Peugeot 307 HDi -05

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Tue May 20, 2014 10:07 am

I don't remember there being a difference. But it was a long time ago.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

Ciaran
Site Admin

Post by Ciaran » Tue May 20, 2014 10:26 am

kieran.l wrote: I will take good care of it alright! I won't be using it as my everyday car, I will be housing it inside and it'll most likely only come out in the summer (a mk2 BX will have to be sacrificed but it isn't roadworthy, so not such a big deal).
Good good, it's looking well in the pics, would love to see it at some stage once you get the minor issues ironed out.
I'd like to go to Clonmel, don't know if I'll make it but am going to try at least! :)

I have some other pics of it somewhere but just can't lay my hands on them at the moment, will post them when I find them though. Those night ones in Dublin all came out a bit crap because it was a phone camera in the dark, that Grand Canal place is some job at night, looks like Star Wars style light sabres coming out of the ground, an XM fits right in with it :lol:

Ciarán

kieran.l
Can find the S1 radio

Post by kieran.l » Fri May 23, 2014 12:44 pm

Experienced some of the "joys" of XM motoring last night :roll:

Came out of the cinema at 11 o'clock and dipped beam wasn't working. Only sidelights, full beam and one fog light. And the car was full of friends too.

Decieded to drive away on full beams as I had no choice really. Even these were focused all wrong. Thank god for the street lights.

Then on our way, the STOP light started flickering and next I got a "hydraulic level" warning, but the STOP light was still only flickering and we were going up a hill so I thought it might be the incline. Anyway, the hydraulic level warning kept displaying with an annoying beep every second too.

When I pulled in to let off one of the friends I rumaged in the boot and thankfully found quarter liter of LHM. Put that into her anyway. Cos it was dark, couldn't see much (nor visually see the level in the reservoir) and couldn't do the usual checks but that stopped the warning thankfully.

Added to that, the water coolant light also came on when we were stopped but went off again. The displayed temp seemed fine so I ignored that! Also, when stopped I noticed that the dipped beams had come on! For the rest of the journey, I thought the dips were coming on and off and when I dropped another friend off he checked and said they on. From inside the car it didn't look like it! I knew the reputation of the XM lights and that they were bad but, WOW they are bad! :shock:

Fun, fun, fun :lol:
Kieran

1984 BX 19 RD
2006 C4 coupé 1.6 HDi