Robert's Turbo SD

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
kieran.l
Can find the S1 radio
Orga / RP numbers: 5679

Re: Robert's Turbo SD

Post by kieran.l » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:19 am

So trouble still on the clutch cable front. We made up a metal part very similar to the white plastic part at the end of the cable that attaches to the pedal (pics below). However, the mechanic is unable to fit it as the area is too restrictive and he said something like the cable sits in a channel and this new part will not fit. The only fix for the problem is another cable. Any more ideas or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Kieran

1984 BX 19 RD
1993 XM 2.1 Turbo SD (RP 5679)
2006 C4 coupé 1.6 HDi
(and solver of problems relating to my uncles 1995 Xantia 1.9TD)

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:05 pm

Grind it in such a fashion that it exactly matches the original? I know it's obviously not nice, maybe you have to make new metal part. It's what I would do in any case.

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:52 pm

Hi Kieran

The list above is probably the total known stock of cables in the UK.
Citroen cannot supply RHD ones either and LHD ones are very different and much shorter.
The remake option is listed as well.

We tried to replace one on a 2.0i - 16v yesterday and failed so had to put the old one back.
Replacement was wrong length so I will strip it to find out why the self adjuster does not release fully.
We came to the conclusion that the replacement cable was sold off as NOS because a previous fitting attempt had damaged the auto adjuster.

It is very difficult to get in to couple the cable up at the pedal end.
At one stage we needed the steering column out to get in to see to hook the cable on.
It would have been a little easier to do if the front seat had been out as well.
Contorting to see what to do was really hard.
Needed two people as well, one to clip on and one to work the cable position from the engine bay side.
Hooking on pedal end was impossible unless the cable was released and pushed in at the crank end so the short cable pushes well into the car.
Then it needed the cable moved gently in or out to order to get it just right to attach.
The cable then needed the auto adjust reset (inner pulled out) before it could be attached at the clutch end.

As Jaap says try to get your mechanic to persevere with a thinned metal hook if you can, we know it can be made to work.
Otherwise buy him one of the NOS ones on ebay and let him try with that.

John

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:50 pm

iirc. The pedal connector doesn't reach the cable guide so it shouldn't matter. Jorgy fitted a metal piece just like yours, without bother.

I have fitted a cable and the trick is to hook a piece of wire round the pedal connection, to pull the cable into position.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:55 pm

xmexclusive wrote:We tried to replace one on a 2.0i - 16v yesterday and failed so had to put the old one back.
Replacement was wrong length so I will strip it to find out why the self adjuster does not release fully.
We came to the conclusion that the replacement cable was sold off as NOS because a previous fitting attempt had damaged the auto adjuster.
I suspect it is the wrong cable. iirc, The one for the BE3 gearbox is longer, but I think the 2.0i-16v uses the ME5T gearbox. If the cable is under tension, the washer can't retreat onto the collet to release the self adjuster.
The self adjuster is really simple. The collet is pushed downwards to release it's grip on the sheath, the spring provides the tension to keep the cable under tension, while the sheath slides.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:44 pm

I have been looking back through the old posts about XM clutch cables.
Seem to be a few little gems that have got forgotten.

Item 1
17 jun 06 Xmauritius - in other F self help.
Hooking cable on clutch pedal.
Remove speedo display panel from dash.
Exposes black rear shell, drill hole large enough for hand.
Size and position, 10cm dia hole centre to be 5cm left of speedo centre.
You now have the clutch cable pedal hook in front of you, easy to see and work on.
Drill with great care or you have a big wire joining job.

Item 2
rayfry 14 aug 08 - other F - XM gen iss - Very expensive cable.
Looking at it cable cannot be self adjusting.
Ciaran bemoans having just spent almost 400 euros for a new clutch to put in his 2.1XM.
Paul had trouble with a V6 clutch pedal springing to floor when cable taken off at gearbox end.
aengus-xmv6 says once the clutch worn beyond a certain point the pedal stays near floor and will not return to normal.
The less the travel the heavier the clutch gets. He lists 3 possible cable position failure points.
I mention Citroen booklet BRE 0216 GB - Transmission Operating principle: Clutch cable with automatic adjust.
Three different types of cable adjuster used by different manufacturers: Roller type, Claw type & Notch type.
Never did add the promised key extracts to the post.
kenhall adds Citroen service part numbers (3 types) and vehicle types: 2150 J5, 2150 J6 & 2150 J7.
My NOS cable is in a Citroen packet marked 2150J8.
So that makes 4 different types (dimensions) of RHD clutch cables permed with 3 different types of adjuster making 12 variants.
PeterN explains how to use a bent coat hanger to reset the auto adjust on the cable.
Mention that Russek manual pages 122/3 describes the cable and auto adjuster.
rayfry agrees that his cable has auto adjust, just did not look like it.

One of the ebay NOS cables is marked Motoquip VVC414.

Jumble of items but worth collecting together I think.
Speedy Cables - Caerbont Entrprise Park Nr Swansea, SA9 1SQ. tel 01639 732213. Add web page link.
Need to find and list the cable dimensions for the 4 Citroen types and vehicles they fit.

John

kieran.l
Can find the S1 radio
Orga / RP numbers: 5679

Post by kieran.l » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:54 am

XM is now motoring again. After no luck finding a cable, on the off chance of finding something we checked out old stock in a number of motor factors. One had a cable from an 80's VW Golf (no idea of year or model) which had the same plastic attachments at the ends as found on an XM cable. So we sent off parts of an old XM cable and the Golf cable to a cable joiner in Dublin who spliced them together, the result being a perfect clutch cable for the XM :)
Kieran

1984 BX 19 RD
1993 XM 2.1 Turbo SD (RP 5679)
2006 C4 coupé 1.6 HDi
(and solver of problems relating to my uncles 1995 Xantia 1.9TD)