My Citroen XM 3.0 PR-Vestige

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Re: My Prestige

Post by xmexclusive » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:34 pm

Hi Dean

Have a care to make sure that your chip is matched to the particular ECU you use.
I have had an email correspondance with said seller over the 2.5 chip he sales.
My conclusions are that he has got hold of copies of a couple of custom EPROM chips for
particular versions of XM ECU's and is using an EPROM programmer to copy them.
I am certain that he cannot manipulate code or match it to a particular engine.
On the advertised 2.5 chip it was only suited to one of the four ECU variants and not the common ones either.
At least he put the ECU compatibility details on the chip lable, most chip copiers do not.

John

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:42 pm

Thanks for that John, yes i will be carefull, so the ecu number he has writen on the chip is the ecu model number that the ecu fits? he seemed confident that i would have no problems but time will tell and its indeed the main reason i would like to pick up a reasonably priced spare to fit it into, damage to the engine is very unlikely in the time it will take me to make my mind up and for the price i thought it would be worth the gamble.

Just a shame it will be so long before i can try it really as its not much help to anyone else thinking of doing the same thing sat in my box but nevermind.

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:45 pm

Good evening gentlemen

today (or more like this year) i will mostly be playing engines, turbo engines to be exact, since sorting out my little hidy hole (or shed) the auto box was calling for attention, but so is the turbo conversion thats been on the cards for some time after i was kindly given a MK2 TCT Estate as a donor...........the turbo has won :D and work has now underway.

Sice getting the engine up to the new house on sunday i have split the head and autobox from the block, the head and valvetrain has been inspected and is stripped down awaiting paint, the autobox from this engine will be put to one side for the time being and the block itself is upturned with the oil pump, core plugs and crank oilseal housing removed.
next will be to check the crank and mains for wear along with the big and little ends, the bores seem fantastic although there is a bit of a lip on the stroke side of number 1 bore but nothing a little honing and new rings wont solve.

This engine has covered 150k by the way and could have gone over 200k no problems without any work although i have a suspicion the valve clearance has been done recently along with brand new oe gear and engine oil coolers which will save me a large amount of money.

The plan.......
a lot of work will go into the head and block to get rid of casting marks, these will then be painted high gloss black along with the autobox casing although that will not be smoothed, far too much work! the rocker cover, inlet manifold, alloy ancilleries bracket, alloy boost pipe, autobox valveblock cover, and a couple of other bits i forget are off to paint next week in the body colour of the car, these will be away for over a month being done as the job is a favour and favours cant be rushed.
Im still undecided over the turbo, i may increase the compressor dia and fit a larger intercooler and fse boost valve but i hear they dont like auto's for some reason but i think i will just make it up as i go along to be honest, the turbo can be done last anyway.

last one is a question, does anyone know what the backlash of the oil pump should be? i would have thought anything over .15mm was a little overworn, this one here has .33mm of backlash on it, if nobody knows i will pull one out of a spare 2.0 engine with known low miles and check/swap that if they are the same size.

Pictures to follow.......

D

Addicted to Crackanory

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:55 pm

Hi all

I have pulled the other oil pump from the spare N/A engine quickly this evening and as suspected it is a much smaller impelers inside the same body so it will be no good but the impellers themselves show about the same backlash as the turbo's oil pump so i have no worries about putting it back in on when the time comes especialy since its such an easy job to replace the pump with the engine in the car still.
the N/A pump is on the right.....

and where i am with the engine so far

D

Addicted to Crackanory

ianbrearley
Can find the S1 radio

Post by ianbrearley » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:25 am

very nice car you have there :roll:
xm 2ltr exclusive on lpg

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:42 pm

Thank you for your kind words, ive justhad two weeks off work and its had some heavy use for a change....this has led to the external temperature sender telling me its 68oC and the vent divert servo giving up though so now there is some little jobs to be done again :lol:

D

Addicted to Crackanory

jorgy
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by jorgy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:15 pm

Hi D

Excellent news!!, can't wait for your photograpic slice of XM-tunning :D

BTW why thinking of bigger turbo? Have read the actual one can easily get you 200bhp just with boost upping.

cheers
G
'94 XM 3.0 12v LHD Manual, DIRAVI, Black - @138k, now 175k - RP6336 - SORN
'93 XM 2.1TD SED Manual, Pearl Emerald Green - @80k, now 115k - RP6077
SOLD '99 2.0 Xantia HDi Exclusive, Silver -118k to 130k
'00 XM 3.0 24v Exclusive, Silver - @117k

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:24 pm

Hi George

200bhp wont be achievable just with an increase in boost, fueling would have to be increased and the intercooler would have to be improved too along with several other key parts one of which being the exhaust bar.......i mean manifold, that and charge temperatures would go through the roof and reliability may become an issue.
Im hoping that by keeping the standard turbo but fitting a larger compressor and housing to it i should be able to improve mid to top end performance with a slight sacrifice to low down torque, basicaly the turbo will need more revs to get spooling but when it does will be able to shift more air. thats the theory anyway :)

D

Addicted to Crackanory

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:47 pm

starting stripping the bottom end this evening and apart from marveling at the genius that is the timing ends crank oils seal i noticed that the turbo's oil pump, as we know, is bigger than the N/A'a but it is driven at a lower speed to the N/A's by way of a smaller drive sprocket on the crank.
I find this rather strange, you fit a bigger oil pump to hold equal pressure despite the higher demand of the turbo engine but then have it running at a lower rpm..........can anyone explain??

D

Addicted to Crackanory

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:36 pm

8-) enough said :D

D