My latest addtion 2.1 SED

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
captainhaddock
XM Guru

Re: My latest addtion 2.1 SED

Post by captainhaddock » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:01 pm

In Ireland you'd be frowned upon :) Fixing wrecks I know I know been there. Only brave people go to that kind of trouble and I cheer them. Everything is doable but you'd have to love the car a lot to do those jobs. Don't know the rest of the car of course. I would give you a hand if you'd be close.

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:05 pm

Thanks Captin, would be good.. but there is a giant Pond in the way..
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:42 pm

pffff, it's not that big a pond....call Stena line! :) They'll agree with me..... :) I'd rather you finish your car soon and come to the rescue of mine! :) I'll do a ball joint tomorrow and will leave my welding gear alone for sure!! Maybe, I really should go and buy a Dacia........:) My welding job will be left for the weekend next :(

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:47 am

citroenxm wrote:Yea Russ... No Auto option till J reg at least. This is a H plate..

I know the rear subframe mounts need dooing too..

The J reg one didn't really need the subframe mounts at the rear dooing and I considered cutting them out.. but decided against it

In comparison. It needs about the same amount of what the J reg one needed ...

That is a shame Paul. If you do decide to scrap it.......keep the drive train!!!! 8-)
I hope you can save it, would be a shame, and you're unlikely to find another one.

You know, the ironic thing is, it's just been announced in Practical Classics, that out of all cars surveyed from the 90's, French cars, especially Citroens, don't rust as much as other brands. And those brands are mainly German. They also showed a shocking picture of a Jag X type sill, completely rotted away. So there we are, we all have bought the right cars!! :lol:
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:10 am

I think you would be easting your time with this car Paul. I hate to say it, but its a good donor, and you are better concentrating your efforts on a car with a good shell.

You'll be chasing rust around that car forever. Time to look at converting LHD cars to RHD?
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:51 am

I was given contact details yesterday of a restorer in Sussex looking for XM repair cills for a commissioned job.
If as I suspect none are found he will press new ones from treated steel.
I believe modern galvanised panels are better quality than the process in place when Citroen built XM's.
I will follow this up with interest to see the cost of a small production run.
Might well be worth having a source of critical spare panels.

I estimate purchase of LHD from southern France and import will cost at least £1500.
Unless you go out there to select and purchase there is a real risk in what you buy.
So allow another £500 travel and hotel costs.
Allow £500 for the conversion labour cost.

You can get a lot of repair work done for £2500.
XM rust is limited to particular areas of the lower body shell and bottom edges of panels and doors.
It could prove well worth repairing some UK XM's over the next few years.
I agree with Robert to an extent that patching under a car will never be ideal.
Stripped upturned body shell in a workshop with new panels and some spot welding is the way to go.

John

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:18 am

xmexclusive wrote: XM rust is limited to particular areas of the lower body shell and bottom edges of panels and doors.
It could prove well worth repairing some UK XM's over the next few years.
I quite agree. When I see what restorers of other cars (Brit) weld up the XM never looks that bad in comparason..

Some seem to be able to restore metal that looks like Chantilly lace...
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:10 pm

The problem with converting LHD to RHD is the metal scuttle panel is handed, for the ventilation and doseur valve positions. All doable if really necessary.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:55 pm

BACK ON DAMM TOPIC AGAIN HERE TOO.....

The future of this car has been partley decided. At the farm, we beleve hidden away in the land lords shed is an L reg 2.1 TD Auto..

We are gonna uncover the car, drag this - well, drive this car out of the shed, and have a look under her and all over. If the body prooves to be a solid one, then other then the Autobox, Im going to swap ALL the SED interior over to the L reg car and put the bloody thing on the road, otherwise, Im never gonna get my own on the road, and be forever welding and selling them.

Ive sort of half decided that with a rear subframe removal, re welding the mounts, front outrigger welding, holes behind the wing bottoms, a cill hole, tatty and tacky previous cill welding, the big hole under the ECU box, the LACK of front bumper mounts completely, the car has once again passed another summer without getting done, it wont get done through winter, so what else is going to rot away.

The upside, the L reg car is also Manderin! Has about 212k on it, but has somewhere a hand written History BOOK on everything done, and at around 190k or so had a head and autobox rebuild.

Stand by.......
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:35 pm

Interesting! Don't forget to bring your camera when you are driving this barn find!