Robert's new XM

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Re: Robert's new XM

Post by robert_e_smart » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:58 pm

I knew the owner, and approcached him about buying it. I was looking for another auto to have in reserve. That was the last one for sale, I passed on it because it was too dear. The last auto for sale before this is the one I use as my daily car. I couldn't tell you the last time there was a 2.1 auto for sale over here before then.

I think it was good value for money.

It was meant to have starfish, but being centrelss, they have been removed by a previous owner. I'll stick some other alloys on it to smarten it up a bit further.

Still a poor student Andrew, but some opportunities cannot be missed. Basically if something happens my 2.1 auto, I'll want to replace it with another, and to do that I'll have to wait for ages for something suitable for sale, and then go to the expense of bringing it back here from mainland GB.

I have a bit of a to do list forming. The car failed its MOT on headlamp alignment, and the outer covers of the parking brake cables being frayed. I don't know if the A/C works, the heater servo flap has jammed on hot. The autobox isn't the best either. It changes up to 2nd and 3rd 3mph later than my other one, and not as smoothly. Changing into 4th is fine and the same as the other one. I changed the oil and it hasn't made much difference. I'll drive it until it breaks and stick in a spare auto box. Or it may come on its own. I need to look into it more. I doubt the cruise works. I need to figure out how to use it first.

All in all I'm happy with my purchase, I'll use it as my winter XM, to keep the other Auto in tip top condition, and do the donkey work and towing with this one.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

jorgy
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by jorgy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:39 am

Looking very nice Robert, good color.

Will be interested to hear how this (lucas epic?) compares to ur other one (bosch?) in terms of engine performance, economy, refinement.

regards
George
'94 XM 3.0 12v LHD Manual, DIRAVI, Black - @138k, now 175k - RP6336 - SORN
'93 XM 2.1TD SED Manual, Pearl Emerald Green - @80k, now 115k - RP6077
SOLD '99 2.0 Xantia HDi Exclusive, Silver -118k to 130k
'00 XM 3.0 24v Exclusive, Silver - @117k

citroenmad
Citrobics expert

Post by citroenmad » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:39 am

Wow, that looks nice. Another 2.1TD auto, really very nice, and it has AC too. Good mileage and nice spec, that would be a nice daily 8-)
Chris.
64 C1 Feel 5 Door
S2 Xantia Exclusive 2.0HDi 110 Estate - Mauritius Blue
S1 Xantia 2.0TCT Activa - Silver
77 Ami 8 Saloon
04 Rover 75

CCC Xantia Files Columnist.

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:46 pm

Thanks Chris,

She's not too bad. The to do list is shortening. Its going in for its MOT re-test tomorrow with 2nd hand parking brake calbes fitted and headlamp alignment set.

Thanks to John, it now has a working plipper. I have changed the servo motor for the heating, and now have a choice other than full heat! I changed some dash bulbs, and the bulbs in the radio last night.

I have some more cleaning to do, and I want to get the tracking done as well before I put my winter wheels on it, so a pair of track rod ends will go on her as well.

The biggest jobs I have left are changing the auto box valve block, a sphere change and hydraflush session.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:49 pm

Hi Robert

Talk to me about getting past the airbag to the plip receiver.
Easy or as difficult as I suggested.

John

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:42 pm

Hi John,

It was very easy, open the lid, undo all the screws visible, then prise the light fitting out of the way to be able to lift the box free. Then there is a plug under the glovebox that saves you undoing the plug that is connected to the light switch, and light. The locking mechanism is held in place by 2 screws that you'll have undone to lift the box, the mechanism then slides down out of the way, and the box lifts up cleanly, and there is good access to the plip receiver.

The glovebox design for the passenger airbag cars has some plus points given its dreadful size. First is no gas strut to do wrong. Second is the locking mechansim is operated by a cable running to the pull up lever, and not the fragile arrangement on series 1 cars and other series 2 cars with the mechanism sliding to release the glovebox lid.

I got the impression that the passenger airbag is part of the dash, although I didn't investigate it fully.

Robert
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:46 am

Hi Folks,

This car passed its MOT re-test on Friday evening, so will be getting taxed for October to start its career of being my winter hack.

This morning I have fitted the valve block from my spare auto box that came from the TCT Onyx I broke last year.

The operation has been a success, I now have nice smooth gear changes, but a slightly different change pattern.

On my other 2.1 TD Auto, it changes into 2nd at about 15mph, into 3rd at 35mph, and into 4th at 50mph. (This was also the same as the 2.1 Auto estate I broke earlier this year)

The original configuration for this silver car was that it was changing into 2nd at 18mph, 3rd at 38mph, and 4th at 50. But changing up poorly into 2nd and 3rd.

With the TCT valve block, its changing into 2nd at 20mph, into 3rd at 30mph, and into 4th at 40mph. Is this normal for a TCT auto? The car that this box came from had done about 125k miles, and I have never drive it.

The new shift pattern is Ok, changing into 3rd at 30 should make life easier in town, instead of speeding up to 35 to change the car up to 3rd, and driving at 33mph to keep it in 3rd. The change to 40 is perhaps a bit too early, but time will tell.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:56 am

Glad you got it sorted ok Robert, this is perfectly normal shift points for a petrol, i usualy drive mine in 3rd and then when i hit an open road i will shift into 4th manualy, mainly because i hover around 40mph over here and that is right on the change point so if i dont a lot of gear hopping takes place.

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:13 pm

Thats good to know Dean,

It was one of my favourite kinds of fix. Free and relatively easy. Ofcourse in typical Citroen fashion, removing all the crap in the way is harder than actually doing the particular job you want to do.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:07 pm

yes on a turbo there is a lot more stuff to move, im interested to know do all 2.1 auto's have these different shift speeds, i know even my Saab shifted at the same points as the petrol xm's (20mph, 30mph, 40mph) and that was over 200bhp so i wonder why a 2.1 derv would shift at later speeds?
More to the point i wonder what part of the valve block is responsable for shift points, if i knew that then some proper personalisation of the box could be done.

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory