Who uses there XM on a daily basis.

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Re: Who uses there XM on a daily basis.

Post by robert_e_smart » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:37 pm

Later the better is not necceserally true with these XM's in my opinion.. To me it looks like quaility started dropping off on later cars and the spec was trimmed down more and more, rust is slightly more evedant too, Ive seen some V reg cars with truely awfull strut tops on them for example, and under body condition not too amazing.
I'm with Paul here. The 2000 XM of mine is awful underneath for such a young car, the protective stone chip coating has failed at the back end and on the lower edges of the sills.

The L reg prestige is spotless underneath!
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

Peter.N.
Global Moderator

Post by Peter.N. » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:07 pm

All the best ones were registered in Jan '96 :D
'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695. Sadly gone
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate, Red
2008 C5 2.0. Hdi Estate Silver

Located in Charmouth, Dorset

wiznime
Can find the S1 radio

Post by wiznime » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:46 pm

Yatz wrote:
Why the Question?
Its just a question that arose browsing through this wonderful site. :D

So many daily drivers. Any one thought of holding an XM meeting outside Jeremy Clarkson's house.

yatz
As a Scottish Truck and XM Driver (who Clarkson despises all of) I say we gather at his house and blow the bugger up, preferably strapped into his GT40 thingy :D but I suppose Ime biased :P
WIZNIME

98 2Ltr Citroen XM VSX TURBO RP7368 (Daily driver)
73 1303S becoming a Beach Bastard trike.
81 Dandy 4/5 Trailer Tent

wiznime
Can find the S1 radio

Post by wiznime » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:56 pm

Drive mine daily as its my only transport for the last 7 years and is currently suffering from its first breakdown, bought it in a rush as the immac 2.5 auto estate I was originaly chasing was withdrawn from sale, this is the longest Ive ever owned one car and really Ive no serious regrets over owning it.
WIZNIME

98 2Ltr Citroen XM VSX TURBO RP7368 (Daily driver)
73 1303S becoming a Beach Bastard trike.
81 Dandy 4/5 Trailer Tent

rowanmoor
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by rowanmoor » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:59 pm

hydroman wrote:I would be interested to know what went wrong with autoglass. I have a car with a cracked windscreen, awaiting a replacement but I haven't yet decided whether or not to get it replaced.
Here goes ;) Slightly OT, but I'm sure it won't distract everyone for too long.

First I would like to say that your mileage may well vary depending on which Autoglass depot you deal with. I have seen a couple of horror stories about them trying to use generic rubber trim etc in the past, and was fully expecting it to be a nightmare. It has been an epic, but for different reasons. I have mostly been very pleased with the way the Crawley branch have dealt with it. A car with a normal trim round the windscreen (and a smaller screen) would be far simpler and probably no hassle at all.

My windscreen got a stress crack overnight on Christmas day. The first working day afterwards I phoned my insurance glass line. These tend to go straight through to Autoglass anyway and I am sure it makes no difference if you do it on your insurance with the usual £75 excess or pay them the full job (I expect that is an eye-watering amount). I said on the first phone call that I knew a generic trim would not work and it had to be Citroen trim - he was happy to note that down and made an appointment for the first week of Jan.

Within 5 mins I got a call back from the Crawley branch saying that it is a particularly difficult job and she had to put the most qualified/experienced fitter on the job, so needed to move the appointment as they were off that day. That made me more happy and confident with their ability.

The day came and they called to say the trim arrived from their warehouse, but it was only half there. The estate (the saloon is different but I'm not sure how) has the trim in 2 l-shaped parts, one for each side. They had received one side and not the other. He said they have ordered another one and re-booked for a day or so later.

That day he called again to say the same thing happened again. He had someone at their warehouse check all the boxes and apparently they had 7 boxes each with the left (or was it right) side trim, and none of the other side :roll: He had ordered it from Citroen and would let me know when it arrived.

A few days later I got a call to say Citroen had told them it was on back order and had to come from France. Citroen had not given them an ETA. I that point I started to panic and pointed out that my MOT was due on 18th Feb and it would not pass.

After a couple of weeks they called to say they had the trim and booked an appointment. By this time it was nearly the end of Jan.

Up till this point the car was drivable. The crack was outside the drivers vision, but inside the swept area. Autoglass had advised me that it was fine to keep driving as long as it did not creep into my vision. I even got stopped in a Police/VOSA check and they didn't even notice it!

They came out and it took 2 of them to get the old screen out - then they started sucking their teeth at the amount of rust around the top of the aperture. They said they couldn't really put the new screen in with that much rust - it would just re-crack soon. Also, part of the grove the trim fits in was rusted away and the rest was full of rust, so the trim would never hold in place. They would have fitted it but said they could not cover it on their guarantee and strongly advised against fitting it without getting the rust sorted as it would just re-crack and the trim would just fly out. They did give me a big bit of card to put over the hole in case it rained before I had it moved.

The rust was bad, but not as bad as it was on an old BX I used to have years ago and they barely even commented on that when replacing a windscreen once :lol:

I am fairly sure the rust will be due to the fact that my sunroof has leaked for years despite my attempts to seal it, so the water would probably have been collecting in there.

Luckily the RAC were happy to transport the car from my office to my indy. It then took a week or so for the bodywork guy to fit it in, and took him a week or so to get it done - partly because he resprayed the whole roof as the lacquer had de-bonded and he had to grind the old stuff off by hand.

On Friday they were due to come out to my indy and fit the new screen, but called in the morning to say they had had a screen delivered for a Mini instead of an XM! They re-arranged for Saturday morning.

He came out on Sat and fitted the new screen - it took him nearly 2 hours just to fit the new screen and put everything back together! But he did seem to do a good job of it. I can't fault the workmanship - though have yet to get the car back on the road as its MOT has run out.

However, it is not over yet! When they took the old screen away, they still had the Tax disc and holder attached to it. I realised while the RAC chap was loading it on the back of the truck, and called the branch that day to tell them.

They were due to send it out with the fitter, but he did not have it. I called them today and they are searching for it - I'm waiting to hear back. I suspect they may have lost/binned it though :evil:

It runs out on 28th feb, so I can get the new disc as soon as the MOT is done today/tomorrow, but I am trying to find out if I can get away with showing that. Otherwise it is £7 and a trip to Brighton to get a replacement disc. All for a weeks driving. They do keep doing a VOSA/Police check on my way to work, so I don't want to risk it if that isn't legal.

So, is it worth it? To keep the car on the road - yes because it is my daily drive and I don't normally have a spare car. However, be ready for it not to be as smooth as it could be and it may take a while to get done. AND MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THE TAX DISK BEFORE THEY LEAVE!
Rowan

94M XM 2.5 TD VSX Estate RP 6430 Forest Green

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:13 pm

Very interesting story...

But..

Get a Hatch... much easyer.. LOL... <runs and hides>

I have actually removed a screen from a Estate XM, but cracked it last run.. theres a Metal LIP that runs parralell with the screen for holding the screen trim, its this that gets in the way of the cutting once you get the trim out of the way.. The trim bends when removing if your not carefull. The other difference between hatch and estate is the higher roof line means theres a trim across the top of the screen which is wider, on the hatch it isn't.. The trim DOES NOT seal the window, though, they do look scruffy without the trim.. but cam be used without.

Paul
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:19 pm

Cutting an XM estate screen out for reuse is hard work.
Fortunately the car screen is the same size so as Paul says they are easier to recover.
There is a thin hard plastic serrated "U" section that fits in the rubber trims and locks over the metal hooks spot welded around the windscreen opening.
These lock the trim in place. Never yet come across a windscreen firm that orders replacements for these.
They either refit those bits they can recover or just plaster everything in windscreen adhesive.
Common cause of lost windscreen trim on an XM.

John

iancunningham
Can find the S1 radio

Post by iancunningham » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:32 am

citroenxm wrote:
iancunningham wrote:
Plan is to look for another XM nearer the summer when "funding permits" (Later the better, white Mk2 TCT - but would look at another TD - saloon for preference...) to play with later in the year- keep the estate and use both to keep mileages down.

Ian

Hello Ian
Long time no speak... :)

Later the better is not necceserally true with these XM's in my opinion.. To me it looks like quaility started dropping off on later cars and the spec was trimmed down more and more, rust is slightly more evedant too, Ive seen some V reg cars with truely awfull strut tops on them for example, and under body condition not too amazing.

The BEST cars are the S1.5 cars, between K 1992 and M 1994 ... But thats MY opinion only.

Paul
robert_e_smart wrote:Later the better is not necceserally true with these XM's in my opinion.. To me it looks like quaility started dropping off on later cars and the spec was trimmed down more and more, rust is slightly more evedant too, Ive seen some V reg cars with truely awfull strut tops on them for example, and under body condition not too amazing.

I'm with Paul here. The 2000 XM of mine is awful underneath for such a young car, the protective stone chip coating has failed at the back end and on the lower edges of the sills.

The L reg prestige is spotless underneath!
Hi Paul and Robert

OK, I stand corrected - thanks for pointing that out...

So, I should be looking for a series 1.5 or early series 2 then? (M, N reg?)

Again, later on in the year - TCT or 2.1Td saloon, preferably in white.

Find the AutoGlass story interesting (?) especially now that we don't have AutoWindscreens any longer (they went bust last week) and I've just noticed a small chip on my estate's screen... (!)

Ian
97 'P' 2.5td Exclusive Manual - White - P998SAV - RP7127
98 'R' 2.5td VSX Manual Estate - White - R151OFL - RP7760 ("ex" / NLC)
98"R" Peugeot 406LX 16V Estate - Green - R545PHP

http://www.agdip.com

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:08 am

An S1.5 Ian... these appear to be the best, an S2 may cause you Suspension problems, which of course the XM could do without... I dont see why Citroen changed it, it worked brilliantly on the S1.5 cars.. why go from something that worked to something thats troublesome...

Paul
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

citroenmad
Citrobics expert

Post by citroenmad » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:25 pm

No daily Xm here now, just the 2.1TD which has done 4K miles since August 2009!

Im planning on using it more this summer though.
citroenxm wrote:Clarkson should like them... He likes the CX, the XM may just pass his " Likeness "..

Im sure I saw a Top Gear with the XM on the cool wall, and little hammond wanted it uncool, but clarkson promoted the XM to Cool! Im sure he did...

Paul
Im pretty sure it was when they were doing something about future classics?

Clarkson said it would be a future classic and put it in the classic section, Hammond disagreed!
Chris.
64 C1 Feel 5 Door
S2 Xantia Exclusive 2.0HDi 110 Estate - Mauritius Blue
S1 Xantia 2.0TCT Activa - Silver
77 Ami 8 Saloon
04 Rover 75

CCC Xantia Files Columnist.