V6 at last

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
ragger
Citrobics expert

V6 at last

Post by ragger » Sat May 14, 2011 11:20 pm

Collected the V6 I have been looking for for a while today and the first trip was 90+ miles back from the lake District.

It is a '94 12 valve in dark blue, and apart from a scrape on the front bumper it looks very good. It drove really well, and even better, my wife managed to sell my C5 V6 which I didn't like while I was away. :)

It is not without issues, the most pressing being a speedo that either reads 0 while at rest, or 54mph when moving. The odometer continues to work as does the trip computer, so that needs investigating. The level of equipment is impressive in comparison to my SX but if anyone has advice about getting rid of the smell of old fag ends, I would appreciate it.

I am looking forward to getting the car to just how it ought to be, unusually, for me, this could well be a keeper.

I will post some pictures in the next day or two. I have to say the dark blue and the white one look pretty good next to each other.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased.

Rob
Regards

Rob

XM 2.5 Exclusive
C1
Nissan Cashcard (New C 4 on order)

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Re: V6 at last

Post by xmexclusive » Sun May 15, 2011 6:33 am

Hi Rob

Cleaning a car for sale seldom goes beyond the visible areas.
Where a car has been regularly smoked in often the debris gets into odd corners around the front seats and centre console.
If this is not cleared out it can keep reintroducing the smells.
Front seats are easy to unbolt one at a time and clean fully under.
The real problem is the centre console which fits tight to quite large areas of carpet.
Particularly so if the two ash trays have been well used.
Removal is the only way to clean i thoroughly.
Finding a pair of unused ash trays can be easier than cleaning the used ones up.

John

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Sun May 15, 2011 7:47 am

Hi Rob,

It is essential that you give the headlining a very good clean. Invest in some baby wipes, and clean every piece of plastic in the car, even all the ones that go around the door shuts and roof line. Hire or borrow an upholstery cleaner and clean the carpets.

With perseverance you will get rid of the small, or at least be able to get it to a tolerable area.

I would also follow John's advice on the centre console, lift up the main switch and gear lever surround, and you can hoover up all the stray ash that missed the ashtray.

If the car has leather seats, use some Gliptones leather care, it makes the seats smell of leather, does a great job of cleaning and conditioning the leather, and will help transform the cars smell.

Enjoy the new purchase, I look forward to the pictures.

Robert
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Sun May 15, 2011 11:11 am

In my experience just lifting the covers and hoovering round inside the centre console does not get the ash and debris from the quite large areas of carpet where the sides of the console are a close fit.

John

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Sun May 15, 2011 11:33 am

So come on then... Tell us.. S1.5 the Best, or Early S2?? Could be either on a 1994..

Paul
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Sun May 15, 2011 3:26 pm

Can a S2 car be a 12v?
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Sun May 15, 2011 4:14 pm

Will,

Of course they can!! The PSA 24v engine didn't come along till 1997 P reg... So the ole PRV soildered on till then

So this can be either a S1 or S2 right on the change in 1994..

Paul
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

ragger
Citrobics expert

Post by ragger » Sun May 15, 2011 8:34 pm

I purchased this from an interesting chap in Carlisle on Saturday. He has owned the car for 9 years since purchasing it from Paul Johnson.

My first trip in the car was the 90 mile return from Carlisle, a mixture of City, motorway and A66. It drove very well apart from a speedo that read either 0 (when at rest) or 54mph (when moving) and nothing in between. Perhaps my nervousness about overdoing it accounts for the fuel consumption on the main roads of 35mpg, although I do have to say I was keeping up with the traffic throughout.

There are a number of jobs to do over the coming months to get it how I want it, but basicallly it is a sound and cared for car. The most pressing job,other than the speedo, is a deep interior clean to get rid of old cigarette smell. Other jobs include: investigation of audio problems, it doesn't switch over to the CD player; non-functioning heated seats; sun roof edging that needs tidier resealing; an air-con regass and a front bumper respray. I also believe the top hose may need renewing.

All in all I am pleased with it so far and I am looking forward to putting some miles on her. By the way her replacement is a C6 and it was nice to get a ride in such a rare beast - at least they are rare around these parts.

Rob
Regards

Rob

XM 2.5 Exclusive
C1
Nissan Cashcard (New C 4 on order)

David Hallworth
Citrobics expert

Post by David Hallworth » Sun May 15, 2011 8:40 pm

WOW!

That looks tidy!

I love the colour too! That cream leather looks absolutely spotless!

Really hope you enjoy it :)

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel

MTXM
Citroen God!

Post by MTXM » Sun May 15, 2011 8:47 pm

That's definitely a series two car and it is interesting how the V6 12v engine and 24v wheels filtered into early series two models. Nice to see a cream leather interior for a change, which I don't think was ever available in series one. Quite unusual colour as well. The wing badges look like those fitted on continental cars. Welcome to the V6 Team!! Regards, Matthew T.
1989 V6 Exclusive (Poland car) - Now living in a local Motor Museum!
1990 V6sei auto (grey auto)
1990 V6sei manual (gold car)
1990 V6.24 Pallas (Germany car)
1990 V6.24v (Scotland car)
Other previous XM sold and broken too many to mention!