Vince's xm - 2.1TD daily driver

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
Vince
Citroen go-to-guy

Re: Vince's xm - Sweet as a nut

Post by Vince » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:59 pm

Well, what with all the bad weather and salt on the roads recently, i decided to give the old girl a wash and brush up. Not a full on job, that will come later when it warms up a tad, but for now keeps her looking presentable.

I have noticed that when it was in getting the pump done, the bonnet was removed and has been badly scratched and also the roof too where it looks like most probably the cardboard box containing the pump was put and then dragged off. Ill see what i can get out through machining it but not best pleased to be honest. I cant be bothered hassling the garage as its not worth the agro. "Wasnt us" etc, so i'll just do it myself. The engine bay has been spruced back up and repainted since its surgery left it looking battered and dirty :roll:

After taking these shots i went for a nice slow cruise through manchester city centre...I love the attention this car gets, at so many junctions i saw people turning round to look again in my rear view mirror....I do love this car 8-)

The first engine bay shot is an older picture as the one i took this morning came out blurry. The only difference is the overflow pipe from the coolant tank is now clear hose rather than the aged yellow one on here ;)

ragger
Citrobics expert

Re: Vince's xm - New pictures added today

Post by ragger » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:53 pm

Looking better than new!

Was hoping to have some money to spend on the cosmetics of my V6 in the next month or so, but my entire slush fund went on a Polo window regulator yesterday :-( I just hope the impending MOT doesn't prove too lumpy...
Regards

Rob

XM 2.5 Exclusive
C1
Nissan Cashcard (New C 4 on order)

MTXM
Citroen God!

Post by MTXM » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:56 am

She is certainly looking good Vince and I wish my engine was that clean!! With regards, Matthew T.
1989 V6 Exclusive (Poland car) - Now living in a local Motor Museum!
1990 V6sei auto (grey auto)
1990 V6sei manual (gold car)
1990 V6.24 Pallas (Germany car)
1990 V6.24v (Scotland car)
Other previous XM sold and broken too many to mention!

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:52 pm

Not jealous at all. I'm not...... 8-) :mrgreen:

Looking immaculate Vince, and I like the yellow lenses in the lights. What did you use for that?
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:38 pm

I believe Vince got some yellow headlamp bulbs.
Looking very good vince, has all the talk of moving her on gone now then?

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:21 pm

I don't know.... Those lenses are looking more yellow than normal. Would bulbs do that?

I'm glad you asked that question Dean, I want to know too. Sounds like it has managed to win Vince back over. Knew it would. :D
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:45 pm

I wouldn't use yellow lenses, the light output is definitely reduced noticeably.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:56 pm

Don't get rid of that car, is what I would say. I simply do not understand how you can get that engine bay so nice and clean. I bet it didn't look like that when new. Seriously good looking.

Vince
Citroen go-to-guy

Post by Vince » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:38 pm

Thankyou all for your kind words.

To answer the main question....the lenses i took out and stuck on some yellow stained glass window film (sticky back plastic in effect) :P I couldnt be fussed with yellow bulbs as ive used them before and when one goes unless you have a spare set its a faff if you need to replace a bulb as they are mail order :roll: This way i can continue to use standard H1 bulbs ;)

The light output thing ive grown used to. Its honestly about the same as the plastic film is designed for light to penetrate it. But why it looks diminished is because of the colour spectrum. White is by far better.....but like in the snow, or on dark roads where you dont have standard street lighting (which is admittedly almost everywhere) :lol: the yellow light is better for me. In standard lit areas the yellow hue tends to blend in, its not that its not lighting the road as well, its just you dont notice it as it blends. Thats why i say its not that different to normal...you can still see what you intend to see.

Its each to their own....I like drawing peoples attention to the car as i drive around as i want people to enjoy seeing an old xm running around. Ive had so many compliments on the lamps its crazy as after i'd changed them i wasnt sure if i liked them myself. But hey its easily put back to standard again :P

Do i want to sell it?......Of course not! No one can put this amount of time into a car without growing attached to it. BUT, it is going to be sold this year as ive taken it as far as i wanted to when i bought it so the project is complete in that respect.

I want the car to go to a good home as its such a good car and so reliable. It will allow someone to buy an xm and enjoy it for the car it is rather than have to spend a bunch of time fixing it up to eventually enjoy it.

I know for a fact....i will miss this car immensely as its the best looking car ive had hands down ever. But as i said, it will be coming up for sale, though im in no rush ;)

On other news, job hunting fingers crossed is gaining pace and i have my first interview this tuesday...finally :roll: Today's job market is incomprehensible compared to when i last looked for work, but i have around 4 fingers in pies at the mo so hopefully i wont strike out on all of them :? Pallas work is still gaining interest which is good but its just not enough to live on so i need to get back into work sharpish now that the new year is here.

Im meeting a new Pallas customer tonight as im doing his BMW 1 series tomorrow, it will be his first experience in an xm....he's looking forward to it and so am I :P

I think more people should be allowed to experience these machines....as they are tremendous.

Eddie nuff
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by Eddie nuff » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:40 pm

I do like the yellow lights - very French, and also very tempting. :)

A very smart car that has had a lot of time and money spent on it. The engine bay is a credit to you, Vince.
89 XM 2.0Si RP4788 (Gold)