Vince's xm - 2.1TD daily driver

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
Vince
Citroen go-to-guy

Re: Vince's xm - Back under the knife....

Post by Vince » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:04 pm

Well today i picked the newly refurbed pump and when i asked the guy "What did it need, how bad was it"? His answer was "It needed everything, it was f@*ked" :lol: But now it is apparently perfect and tuned to as good as new
Oh well, £240 lighter in my pocket but the pump looks great, all new and shiny 8-)

He did ask me if it had been smoking whilst driving and did i know it had been over-fuelling?.....I didnt as it hasnt been smoky and the fuel economy has always been great. Im looking forward to getting it back now to see how amazing it runs :)

I tell you what....ive been borrowing a V6 Xantia from Will kp whilst mine is in. Holy smokes :shock: Im horrified at the difference in fuel efficiency in comparison. Ive been running diesels for so many years now id forgotten how expensive it is to run a big engined petrol car. And to think i used to run thirsty cars like this as dailies for years too. Must have been rich back then :P

Also when i put the bins out last night i realised just how small the xantia was on the drive in comparison to the xm :)

I tell you what...i really dont want to sell the xm :| If i win the lottery over christmas i'll keep it and get another car as a daily :P Its only 14 million to one odds though :roll: :P

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:52 pm

Great news Vince, :D I think you will be quite surprised at how much it will transform the car. Mine did. Totally different in how it drove and started. Just wish I had enjoyed it for longer.
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:59 pm

Soon you'll be enjoying a real nice banger Vince with good memories of your old comfy beast. I do hope, your new car will not break down at all. I wouldn't chance it with a cheap class high mileage car since you've got far more expensive repairs on essential components to expect, according to a survey of 15 million cars in Germany. Of the higher class cars, you'd be better off with a VW Golf or an Audi A6 of a Ford S-Max/Galaxy.
Purely economically speaking from my financial point of view I'd be really hard pressed to driver cheaper in any other old well maintained 'banger.' I hope you'll win the lottery which reminds me to buy a lottery ticket. I've never won but if I do, I won't buy another car :)

Vince
Citroen go-to-guy

Post by Vince » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:48 pm

True say Captain Haddock...

What im thinking of is a Volvo 850 or V70 classic estate. I had an 850 for years and no all of their foibles and where the best little Volvo breakers are around here.

The only thing really that goes wrong with them is gearbox failures, manual or autos..though (not dear to buy and fit a replacement), front wheel bearings, tie rods, front tyre wear, and the glovebox catches break and lock you out. Although you can lever your way back in and then just replace the glovebox again. (I had to do it on my old one)

So not too bad overall in comparison to other older cars. Also easy to up-spec them with T5 and "R" spec interiors etc.

As stated, i have a little working arrangement with WillKp now it seems so im sure he will keep me furnished with old Citroens to work on. Also im trying alot of Pallas promoting with the CCC at the moment ;)

kingp
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by kingp » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:24 pm

It all helps Vince :)

Vince
Citroen go-to-guy

Post by Vince » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:30 am

kingp wrote:It all helps Vince :)
Sure does Will, helps pockets and helps old Citroens avoid the crusher ;)

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:04 pm

Hi Vince ,

Check out the S60, they are great cars, and true Volvos, no ford in them.

More modern, more plentiful, and similar money to a 850 or classic v70 that would be worth buying.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:21 pm

Why not a volvo v70 coupe or cabrio? Good choice but not fool proof, nothing is :)

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:35 pm

I would take a look at the S60 as Robert says. Very nice car indeed.
I also like the Subaru Legacy Outback. The one from the mid 2000's. Frameless windows. Can't beat that!! :lol:
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

Eddie nuff
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by Eddie nuff » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:36 pm

Anything pre 2000 is pure Volvo, but although Ford changed the exterior and interior designs they mostly kept the mucky bits. In fact, apart from the gearboxes which were ZF transmissions, Ford used most of Volvo's driveline somewhere along the line. Pre 2000 Volvo used their own petrol engines but VAG diesel engines.

Today, even though it's Chinese owned, Volvo produce their own petrol and diesel engines (outside of the agreements they have with PSA), of which the five cylinder ones are regarded as at the top of the tree. I certainly wouldn't overlook a 2.4 twin turbo 5 cylinder diesel in a S60/V60 or S80/V70.
89 XM 2.0Si RP4788 (Gold)