Vince's xm - 2.1TD daily driver

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
onza100
Knows how to use the parking brake

Re: Vince's xm - New pictures added today

Post by onza100 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:55 pm

Gtechniq has a excellent reputation. You can still use a trim gel over the top for extra shine.
I like the sonax one but autoglym is pretty good too.

Vince
Citroen go-to-guy

Re:

Post by Vince » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:43 pm

Eddie nuff wrote:I do like the yellow lights - very French, and also very tempting. :)

A very smart car that has had a lot of time and money spent on it. The engine bay is a credit to you, Vince.
Thanks again guys for your kind words......

For plastic trim resto, there are that many different products to use that its impossible to say use this and not that etc. The best way to get a good long lasting finish i've found is to apply it often at first...feed it in effect, then keep it topped up. Also using a water repellant trim dressing helps it not wash off as quick. Meguiars stuff that Neil recommends is very good...but dont write off the old favourite Autoglym Bumper Care. Its waxed based so repells water very well ;)

For the record, ive never recommend painting black plastic trim unless its done by a professional bodyshop due to adherance problems you can experience. Painting metal work is easy enough but plastic, in 99 out of 100 cases doesnt need it ;)

Just needs some lovin :P

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:23 pm

For the mirrors and scuttle trim use fine grade wet n' dry, followed by polishing and waxing with solid household furniture wax.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

djg
Could do a 2.1 headgasket
Orga / RP numbers: 7261

Post by djg » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:48 pm

Nut oil, learnt here. It does wonders and it's good in your salad, too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Bye,
Gábor

1996 XM 2.5 Turbo D VSX (LHD, Bleu Mauritius)
1986 BX 19 TRI Break (LHD, Rouge Vallelunga) deceased
1996 AX 14 D (LHD, Alaska White) in family

Vince
Citroen go-to-guy

Post by Vince » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:56 am

Morning all.....

A quick update of the trials and tribulations in the life of me :roll: :P

The weather has been so cold for so long now it really hampers car activity...but the biggest hamperer is the severe cash situation we are going through at the moment :cry: It means that im topping up the xm £10 at a time and not travelling anywhere which is not essential. It sucks as since giving the xm a good clean up and deciding that we are going to be keeping it for a while yet...((a) because its so cheap to run and insure and b) once im back in work, we have other financial commitments coming up in the next few months that take priority over cars)), it has re-ignited my love for the old girl and its nice to get out in it when i get the chance.

Ive cleaned up the engine bay and yesterday decided to tackle the surface rust bubble its always had on the outer cill as you step in through the drivers door. I took a screwdriver and a wire brush to it and removed all the rust and cleaned it up. Its since been rust treated and today (if the freezing fog clears) :roll: I'll put a light skim of fine finish filler on it ready for re-painting next week.

We did go out for a bit of a run yesterday up over towards Halifax to find an old roman road to take pictures for Jack's school project. It was a cold but nice trip out and i enjoyed coming down off the moors to see the xm contrasting against all the other modern cars in the car park.

What was also cool was the other day i picked Jack up from school (he's 8) and smiled as one of the little kids, who is bound to grow up into a car guy, was walking in with his dad and was pulling at his dads arm and pointing at the xm 8-) Obviously has good taste :P

As i intimated on the general section Im also doing some major work on the series 1 SED that Will kp got a while ago. It was in a bit of a rough state, so ive done a deal with Will as i owe him a few favours and im giving it the beans from top to bottom including repainting the alloys, repainting the nose cone and repairing and tidying up the bonnet as it had some bad dents in it. Once its finished which should be in a week or so weather depending, it will be a really tidy car which is a nice colour and has a fabulous black leather interior 8-)

If you can avoid bodywork outside in winter...damn well avoid it, its not fun :?

mds141
Citrobics expert
Orga / RP numbers: 8542

Post by mds141 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:53 pm

Sounds good Vince. It's foggy and freezing in Lancaster as well, so I'm feeling your pain. :)
Mark Smith.

2000 XM VSX 2.1 td auto. Rouge Magenta. RP 8542.
1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine.
1997 Honda Firestorm.

Vince
Citroen go-to-guy

Post by Vince » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:14 pm

Orrible isnt it :P

Eddie nuff
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by Eddie nuff » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:38 am

Bloody luvly owa this side ot 'ill. :P :D
89 XM 2.0Si RP4788 (Gold)

Vince
Citroen go-to-guy

Re:

Post by Vince » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:38 pm

Eddie nuff wrote:Bloody luvly owa this side ot 'ill. :P :D
:lol: Send some ova ere then

Vince
Citroen go-to-guy

Post by Vince » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:45 pm

Quick update folks.....

I start back in the world of work tomorrow :) I'll be working for a friend of mine until i get the kind of job i usually do but hey...its work and just at the right time as ive never been so skint :shock:

The xm is still the daily driver and will be on full commuting duties once more tomorrow morning.

Life is going to take a while yet to recover and settle down...possibly until summer? So the xm will remain in steady service i reckon until around that time.

If so and money permitting i'll try to make at least one meet this year and show the old dear off again :P