Elizabeth's 2.0 SX

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
captainhaddock
XM Guru

Re: Elizabeth's 2.0 SX

Post by captainhaddock » Thu May 08, 2014 1:04 pm

Still loyally doing 140 miles each day in the Irish mist, not missing a beat.
Re gassed spheres finally and so much more enjoyable to drive.
We've doubled the miles on her since we got this car 3 years ago so we've done about 64K miles with no break downs or any other major issues.
I expect her to hold out for at least another 3 years so it will be at around 200K then. No big deal for the 16V engines.

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Thu May 08, 2014 6:08 pm

That’s excellent Jaap :)
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Thu May 08, 2014 6:15 pm

Yeah, how long does it take to gas spheres..... About 3-4 hours apparently! :lol: :roll:
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Thu May 08, 2014 7:01 pm

Bizar....:)

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:01 pm

Car still absolutely fine. 4 new michelins did hurt on our bank account but safety first. Gave her a good proper service incl. LHM and coolant but still can't find anything wrong (yet) except the exhaust is getting old and is leaking somewhat. But what keeps baffling me is why we can sometimes smell these exhaust fumes inside the car whilst driving, especially when opening the sun roof.So, I'll have to get underneath once again to sort that leak :)

citsncycles
Knows how to use the parking brake
Orga / RP numbers: RP 5709 - Turbo SD

Post by citsncycles » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:50 pm

Opening a sun roof or window can lower the air pressure inside the car, drawing in fumes through an air vent or worn seal.
Mike Sims
Mk1 XM Turbo SD
Lots of other Citroens, including 3xBX, GS, Visa, Dyane, Dyane Nomad, 2CV, HY pickup.
Also Land Rovers, Trabant, DKW cars, Honda, Ural, CZ, Mobylette and Puch motorcycles, and lots of bicycles and tricycles.

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:10 pm

Hmmm, I don't tend to get fumes when I have a window or the sunroof open on mine, but I have known diesel ZX's to smell very strongly due to worn out boot seal.
I would check your rubber seals. Even try Vaseline on them and try driving and see.
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

mds141
Citrobics expert
Orga / RP numbers: 8542

Post by mds141 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:52 am

My BX 16 valve is quite fumey with a window or the sunroof open. New rear lights, with the accompanying new seals has lessened it. I'm hoping a new tailgate seal will eliminate it completely.
Mark Smith.

2000 XM VSX 2.1 td auto. Rouge Magenta. RP 8542.
1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine.
1997 Honda Firestorm.

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:01 am

Well thanks for that, the boot as it happens doesn't seem to close always properly so maybe that needs looking at. The rear lights, I should take them out and see if any seals are broken maybe? Good idea, I never would have thought about that. Thanks for the tips

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:36 pm

3 repairs in one weekend, this is highly unusual indeed...

Last Thursday, Liz came home and mentioned the blower not working anymore. It had been very hot weather but it had started raining. So the non leaking :) sun roof and windows needed to be closed. That's how she found out.

So, I thought I'd easily fix it. First of all check fuses but hey: hard to find that one! It's not really in the citroen instruction book or the Haynes....so I googled and quickly found out that fuse F2 which is situated in front of the air filter in the engine bay, is notorious for over heating. I, for one, didn't know this. So for any of you who don't know this: CHECK!
So I did check and found heat damage on this 30 amp fuse. And replaced it accordingly. Only ...the blower motor didn't work, yet. Strange.
So next evening, I replaced the blower motor with a known other model before :( checking the 12V on the wire. So stupid because that was a useless action of mine. I just thought the motor had died because this does happen sometimes. So after that....well I read Haynes, checked relays and couldn't find a thing and it was very very warm so I started sweating.
Well, to make a long story short: UNLIKE the Diesel XM, Liz's petrol XM needs to be started (with the security code of course) in order to get that blower working.

In short I spent too much time trying to fix a problem that I had already fixed.
Diesels fuse was even more burned in even though still working so fixed that too.

After that: whilst going shopping I noticed the smell of petrol inside the car was significantly worse. Liz admitted to forget to tell me and the weather had been so warm she was only driving with roof and windows open.
So I decided to -not for the first time- check this out. The engine bay, didn't seem to be the cause. I had replaced the fuel lines in the engine bay fairly recently and all was fine there.

So once again, I took the wheel liner off for the second time and other than some spiders....nothing. But underneath and for the first time, I now found evidence of petrol coming down the tank.

With a mirror and torch I could see between the subframe and the chassis, with much effort, the back of the fuel line connected to the fuel filter. Only when pressurized, very very tiny little drops coming out of a 'bubble' in the rubber very close to the alu filter. Most of it would evaporate in no time. The bullbe in the rubber fuel hose, was exactly where the small pipe of the fuel filter has a ridge on it.
Anyways, all replaced now (not an easy job) but of course the exhaust that has to come off to gain access to that filter....and the long pipe from the cat. to the big damper, had a moon shape hole underneath where the clamp sat. So I needed to repair that as well.....This is as far as I got tonight.....hope I get the exhaust properly back on tomorrow.

That's all, nothing really but quite annoying jobs.