CitroJim's Citroens

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
captainhaddock
XM Guru

Re: CitroJim's Citroens

Post by captainhaddock » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:48 pm

Available at citroen dealer in Ireland, we shall see :) they always surprise me in a good way and compliment me about the car while in the meantime trying to sell me some small Kia of sorts.
Can it be possible that the rings are not present?

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:18 pm

If the "O" rings are missing or broken I would expect LHM (lots) running out around the strut head or the bottom of the strut gaiter.
The only time I have known a missing one was on a refurbished strut head returned by KINGas.
He advised me that they broke it during the work and did not have a spare to fit as it was the first time one had got damaged.

John

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:11 am

Took the little baby car to Somerset and back yesterday :-D

It did a wonderful job. Seat is comfy and fits me perfectly. Driving position is excellent and i got out at the end with no aches or anything.

Economy was great. One the way back I've used just one 'bar' of petrol and the first bar disappeared, after a fill to the top, after 113 miles. The second bar is still alight after nearly 200 miles.

Seems to be more economical the harder you drive it. Secret is definitely to keep the engine freely revving always, never let it labour and never engage 5th until you're doing 70. Hang on to all other gears...

So different to the Activa or V6 and definitely very different to the XM!

It cruises at 70 a treat and is really very nippy and chuckable. It's amazing what it'll see off at the lights :-D

I love my C1 even more after that trip :P I'm actually just a little surprised at what a wonderful little car it is.

I really hope the new generation C1/108/Aygo has managed to preserve the spirit and character of the original and we don't see the loss as we did with the Pug 206 and 207 which never came close to the utterly wonderful car they supposedly replaced: the Pug 205. Truth is the C1 is nearly as good as the 205 and has a lot of its character. They're that good but for me still nothing quite matches the 205.

Today, hopefully, if the weather is OK, we'll be refitting the new KingAS strut tops to the XMs :)
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

citsncycles
Knows how to use the parking brake
Orga / RP numbers: RP 5709 - Turbo SD

Post by citsncycles » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:42 am

Sounds like engine wise at least they've managed to continue that great Citroen small car tradition started with the 2CV, where they managed to build an engine that actually lasted longer if thrashed mercilessly!

I've never driven a 205, but know their reputation.
Mike Sims
Mk1 XM Turbo SD
Lots of other Citroens, including 3xBX, GS, Visa, Dyane, Dyane Nomad, 2CV, HY pickup.
Also Land Rovers, Trabant, DKW cars, Honda, Ural, CZ, Mobylette and Puch motorcycles, and lots of bicycles and tricycles.

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:00 am

citsncycles wrote: I've never driven a 205, but know their reputation.
You should try to rectify that Mike ;) Try a 205 GTi 1.6 (not the 1.9) and the 205 STDT (1.7 XUD Turbo in the GTi chassis) and then you'll have driven the two very best small cars of the 20th century.. The STDT is scary in how it goes. Scalded cat hardly does it justice!

And then drive a Visa GTi - they used the same power train as the 205 GTi 1.6...
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX

citsncycles
Knows how to use the parking brake
Orga / RP numbers: RP 5709 - Turbo SD

Post by citsncycles » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:30 am

I am looking forward to getting my Visa going - doesn't have the looks, but there is a school of thought that the rear suspension on the Visa may be better than the 205's! I was wondering about pulling the XUD7 engine and fitting a more powerful lump, but as it's a good engine and was the 2nd best performing car in the range (behind the GTi) I decided to leave it for now at least.
Mike Sims
Mk1 XM Turbo SD
Lots of other Citroens, including 3xBX, GS, Visa, Dyane, Dyane Nomad, 2CV, HY pickup.
Also Land Rovers, Trabant, DKW cars, Honda, Ural, CZ, Mobylette and Puch motorcycles, and lots of bicycles and tricycles.

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:41 pm

citsncycles wrote:but there is a school of thought that the rear suspension on the Visa may be better than the 205's!
That is what I've heard Mike.. The 205 was a bit prone to LOO (Lift Off Oversteer) whereas the Visa was much less so I understand.

I refitted the newly refurbished strut tops to the XM today and took her for a spin along a private road. All is good and she's now available for viewing and purchase ;)

I've updated my for sale thread...
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX

Northern_Mike
Can find the S1 radio

Post by Northern_Mike » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:12 am

CitroJim wrote:
citsncycles wrote:but there is a school of thought that the rear suspension on the Visa may be better than the 205's!
That is what I've heard Mike.. The 205 was a bit prone to LOO (Lift Off Oversteer) whereas the Visa was much less so I understand.
I always wanted a 205 GTi, but we decided to have a baby instead and I ended up with a Mondeo back in 2000! I did a deal on a white 1.9GTi for £900, but we decided against it.

I understand the 1.6 was a better car as the 1.6 engine was more manic and revvy, rather than the quite lazy 1.9. It's a car I'd like to own one day. I thought the lift-off oversteer was more cretins going too fast in powerful FWD cars rather than the car itself... ;-)

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:05 pm

My C1 got tampered with today...

:twisted: :lol:
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:50 pm

captainhaddock wrote:Glad you like the C1. Now here's a nice mystery for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHMTqBCD ... e=youtu.be

The guy that bought this V6 XM, had it looked at by experts and had the gear box and torque converter changed. And really seriously looked at it, even using microphones! They now think it must be the engine. Of course there's more details....but it's got them all stumped for now...

I just read that the mystery has been solved. Changing the gearbox was unnecessary as it seems. The sound was caused by a failing bendix in the starter motor :roll: