CitroJim's Citroens

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Re: CitroJim's Citroens

Post by russ92xmsed » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:10 am

That it does. It's all to do with packaging and the constraints of the size of the car. It isn't easy to try and fit all this modern tech into what is a small tin can really. I have very very basic experience with packaging in the obvious things like engine, drivetrain and people. It's surprisingly difficult, and a lot of compromises. ;)
Totally agree though, it's a 'bung it here' attitude, cos it fits. No thought to actual maintenance, apart from charging a massive amount to fix as it takes soooo long to fix. It's all a conspiracy, that's how they make money!! :lol:

So Jim, a doggy hey. That will keep you even fitter having to walk it twice a day. :D Great stuff.

Here's a funny thing I read yesterday in the paper. Talking about bad cars, a chap bought a new Austin Ambassador, must have been early 80's. Apart from the obvious, rust, generally crap ect, when driving over 60 mph, the padded dash would blow up and cause an air bubble. So at least we don't have to contend with inflating dashboards!! :lol: ...... Unless the airbags go off.
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:54 am

Sadly the doggy has now gone back to her owners Russ. I was only dogsitting but I enjoyed having her so much that whenthe time is right and the right sort of dogs comes along I'll be there.

I'm keen on a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. I do like Spaniels - perhaps because we share a lot of characteristics, especially being totally bonkers :lol:
russ92xmsed wrote: Totally agree though, it's a 'bung it here' attitude, cos it fits. No thought to actual maintenance, apart from charging a massive amount to fix as it takes soooo long to fix. It's all a conspiracy, that's how they make money!! :lol:
That figures :evil: A great example on the 407 is the amp for the stereo system. Tucked high up on the driver's side bulkhead tight under the dash. If that packs up then again it's a dash out job...

A heater matrix - I hope they never go - is a full heater box out job. We used a shortcut - literally - to do the flaps. We partially dismantled the heater box in-situ and then made some careful hacksaw cuts to release the flaps without splitting the whole box. After flap replacement the parts cut out were glued back in with Araldite. To get the heater box out would have added exponentially to the work. The 'cut and glue' method appears to be the standard way to do the job and presumably what dealers do too...
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:10 pm

Like the XM, the 407 dashboard is probably built up a a complete module, then fitted tot eh car.
The quick way to work on the heater is to remove the complete module as one, then strip it down from the rear side.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:44 am

Just a quick hello to everybody who might remember me from the distant past...

All is very good, life is busy and most of my Citroën time is spent on and looking after the FCF. It needs almost as much attention as a baby..

No real news on the car front...

Paul dragged me back here with a cruise problem. I couldn't resist a little look around. Got a lot of catching up to do...

Pleased to see this forum is Tapatalk enabled.
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!