Gold 2.0Si

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
Eddie nuff
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Gold 2.0Si

Post by Eddie nuff » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:40 pm

Hello folks. My reason for registering has already been discussed,if not in the most harmonious of terms.

I've been on FCF for about 3 months, had a Xantia Hdi for the past 5 years and a 1.9TD for 10 years before that.

I'm no expert, far from it, but definitely an eager enthusiast.

I've been looking for a S1 XM for a few months, preferably diesel, hopefully V6 but one where the paperwork was more important than the car.

This car isn't perfect, far from it, but it has had money spent on it in the past. According to the paperwork it had a cambelt tensioner pop in 2010 and from that had new belts, tensioners and cover. It also had new spheres and a new headgasket. But the head looks very clean, if not new, and has been re-fitted with new bolts. There's no mention of a new head in the papers.

The car was sat on the floor when we got there, wearing its gorgeous after-market rims. The oil was clear, the air filter newish and the spark plugs clean, even though the owner said he hadn't serviced it in the 9 months he'd had it. There was next to no LHM in the reservoir and we couldn't find where it had leaked from due to the fact that the engine bay was filthy, covered in gunk and dirt. The NSF bumper has come off the holder, there's a small dent in the hatch and the poor quality repair on the OSR arch but apart from that it's solid. The tyres are not good, two blebs in the OSF, the OSR inner wall is shattered, and the NSF is the wrong size (175). The bonus is that all the electrics bar the NSF fog and the front inner roof light work. Amazing on any Citroen never mind one 23 years old.

Put some fuel in the tank, air in the tyres, a tub of LHM in the box and toddled off up the motorway. The car drives very well, no knocks, bangs, squeals. Steering and brakes are straight, clutch bites at the bottom end but the drive home was a pleasure.

When we got home it became evident that the idle speed would not drop below 1050rpm. Sprayed some WD40 on the linkages and although they move easier it hasn't solved it. The Engine Oil Pressure warning light keeps flashing (switch? Where is it?) and the water in the system is purely that – no coolant. That will have to be flushed out.

The interior is a mess, leather seats fitted as an afterthought, but with the original cloth door cards . . . and no headlining! And no-one knows why. After-market stereo and a filthy hatch cover as well.

Gave it a wash and the paintwork has come up well, it has a shine to it, and the chrome is decent as well.

The temptation initially was to put a full leather interior in it with decent original alloys but after thinking about it a bit more this is the base model and so it would be better with its original cloth interior and steel wheels with early Citroen trims.

But that's for later – got to sort the tickover first, then coolant, then oil switch whilst I'm waiting for some more TFR to arrive so I can give the engine bay a good steam clean.
89 XM 2.0Si RP4788 (Gold)

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Re: Gold 2.0Si

Post by CitroJim » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:45 pm

Eddie :D Welcome to XM ownership and great to see you here :D

Good to see the Goldie has gone to a good home!
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:12 pm

Ahhhh.... So the buyer appears! Welcome Eddie!

Ive got 5 of the things, ALL S1 cars too!! As per my signiture.

Today I quickly reviewed one more Spare car, and decided in reality its TOO good to break really.

So, I will have a 2.1 TD Base Model on a J, Manual gearbox to sell later in the year.. Need to find some bits for her first...

Im currently dooing up an SD manual...

Theres a bit to do, but the next car I think Ill do up after that one above is this one:

I have decided, shes is worth dooing up....also a 2.1 TD manual base model
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

turbo_imp
Knows how to use the parking brake

Post by turbo_imp » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:23 pm

Welcome to XM ownership :)

Glad it has gone to a new home, I was very close to me and I did take a second look at the advert but decided that the spec was wrong for me.

Did you per chance get the three spoke wheel trims with the car? The Synergie ones? If so would you be willing to part with them?

I will be keeping an eye on the thread, hope the updating and maintainance go well :)

J

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:32 pm

Great to see the gold Si has gone to a fellow Citroen enthusiast. Welcome to the forum Eddie. Hope the fix up goes well...it is certainly worth trying to save the very early ones, especially the lower spec models as they seem to be rarer than the higher spec cars.

Another one Paul..excellent. Mandarin, toe bar, manual 2.1 and disc hubcaps...very nice!!
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:41 pm

Had it ages Russ... I drove it to my works when it was legal, tax disc said 2010!!

Moved her last weekend due to loss of space at work... :(

But was gonna be a parts job, but with interest in manual TD's growing, I think a resto is needed. Supriseingly she is sound under neath around the subframe, just one small hole on the end of the off side cill...

Others

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:44 pm

Keep her!!!! Well that was a long day at work then...2010 to 2013! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Russ

Also

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:46 pm

NO THANKYOU!!

Ive got an SED to keep and a S1 24v Manual to keep....

She WILL be a seller .. shes tooooo basic though. Shes a D, so manual seats, manual rear windows, NO ABS, NO radio controls..... etc

Others

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:51 pm

:lol: Sorry I meant keep her to restore...D'oh :roll:

A D..mmmm a bit basic. I personally would be more than happy with an SD, but being really snobby and picky....I prefer XM's to be of a higher spec. mind you having said that, for a kind of second car to use and abuse and not be precious about ...a D would be great.
Russ

Also

Eddie nuff
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by Eddie nuff » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:55 pm

No Synergie trims I'm afraid, just the cheap, manky ones.

I'd looked at a few XM's but wanted a solid S1 that had had work done to it - and had the paperwork to show for it. The previous owner to the guy I bought it off had the car for 10 years and spent time and money on it. I have his name and address and will be contacting him for any further info he may have.

The trims on the cars pictured above are my preference, just a matter of finding them. Will be needing a cloth interior, headlining, gearknob, glovebox catch, hatch cover and an OSF sidelight - for now.
89 XM 2.0Si RP4788 (Gold)