Mikes V6 ES9 Manual Exclusive

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
CitroJim
Citroen God!

Re: Mikes V6 ES9 Manual Exclusive

Post by CitroJim » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:59 pm

Do I see an absence of green on the bumpers now Mike?

And that camper. Is that a Renault?
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

xantia_v6
XM Guru

Post by xantia_v6 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:26 pm

Yes the camper van is a Renault, and appeared to be a professional conversion.

The green paint is 98% gone. It is still a bit of a mystery, as everywhere there was green paint, there was badly applied silver touch-up spray underneath, which generally came off at the same time, revealing underlying scratches, but it looks better with the scratches.

Maybe the previous owner had used the green paint to mark panels that needed respraying properly?

When I have some time I will see if I can do a better touch-up job. I also need to decide what to do with the dented sill, my current thought is to touch up the paint and leave the dent.
1999 XM Exclusive V6 24V ES9 Manual (LHD) 105,000 km
1997 Xantia Exclusive V6 (RHD) 45,000 miles

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:07 pm

I do like that silver. It makes the XM look so clean and sharp. Very nice.

Like the Renault too. I've been touching up paintwork too the last three days. Bloody nightmare!!
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

xantia_v6
XM Guru

Post by xantia_v6 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:16 pm

When going over bumps (as much as you notice them in an XM), there is an occasional rattle that seems to be coming from the rear door, or perhaps B pillar. Any ideas about what it might be?

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:15 pm

This might sound silly, or it might not be anything to do with your rattle, but it isn't your rear seat belt catches rattling against the rear trim. The C5 is terrible for that. Or the rear sun blinds. On mine they rattle a bit. As I say...only a thought!
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:25 pm

love it, France, the Xm
the Renault....
soon will be re testing my XM into France :)

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:18 am

xantia_v6 wrote:When going over bumps (as much as you notice them in an XM), there is an occasional rattle that seems to be coming from the rear door, or perhaps B pillar. Any ideas about what it might be?
Mine does exactly the same and annoys me. I just can't find the cause yet. I thought it was the seatbelt top mount but it's not. Impossible to produce the noise when the car is stationary..
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

xantia_v6
XM Guru

Post by xantia_v6 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:52 pm

Today's little adventure was the XM running out of fuel. The gauge was showing just over 1/8 tank and the trip computer showed 70km range available and the fuel warning light had not come on, but it faltered, them recovered for about 1km then cut out completely, about 5km from home on a minor but busy country road with no shoulder.

It is the first time I have let the tank get that low, and I am used to Xantias which tend to have rather pessimistic fuel gauges.

Fortunately the second car to go past stopped and a very friendly French woman drove me to her place just up the road, picked up a 10 litre container (which looked almost exactly like the type of container you should not put petrol in), drove me 5km back into town to the supermarket and then back to my car.

By the time we got back, I was worried that it was not lack of fuel, but something more serious. Fortunately it started after a few seconds and ran ok.

So when I got home I decided that this was not good enough, and I took the pump assembly out of the tank (with the usual struggle with the plastic ring).

The sender unit arm seemed quite free, and seemed to swing though the correct angle, but I noticed that the float was sitting vertical not horizontal. So I moved the float to horizontal, put the assembly back in the tank, and lo-and-behold the gauge was now reading just above empty and the fuel warning light was on.

I don't see any design feature that ensures that the float is horizontal, and if it hits the bottom of the tank while vertical, it can certainly sit like that. Has anyone else had this happen? It can rather catch one out.

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:17 pm

Thankfully the French lady came to the rescue! I noticed too lately, this thing on the arm that isn't round as on other models. But it is something we can learn from this. The float might move at some stage again I assume, maybe there is a way to keep it from moving again.

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:19 pm

CitroJim wrote:
xantia_v6 wrote:When going over bumps (as much as you notice them in an XM), there is an occasional rattle that seems to be coming from the rear door, or perhaps B pillar. Any ideas about what it might be?
Mine does exactly the same and annoys me. I just can't find the cause yet. I thought it was the seatbelt top mount but it's not. Impossible to produce the noise when the car is stationary..

Mine does this too! What can it possibly be... :geek: