R267PGF 2.0TCT - MOT Pass!

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
CitroJim
Citroen God!

Re: R267PGF 2.0TCT - Winter Service

Post by CitroJim » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:29 pm

That really is a vintage Hoover Sam! Bet it's better than the horrid little Vax I have for the house here. Nasty little thing but it's light for me to carry and very HEPA which is what I need for my terrible dust allergy...

It chucked it down all the way and as I approached dad's it cleared up and it turned out a lovely warm and sunny day. Driving home was more or less dry right until Milton Keynes and then it started raining again :roll:

It's now pouring down....
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

beko1987
Has changed a sphere or two

Post by beko1987 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:25 pm

It would bring your living room carpet up a treat! I'll bring it round when I next come over and you will have to stand outside for 20 minutes! Keep the filters spotless on the vax, they get clogged and it kills the motor
2.0TCT VSX Auto Estate (without leather)

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:36 am

beko1987 wrote:Keep the filters spotless on the vax, they get clogged and it kills the motor
I've already found just how quickly and how heavily they clog. About every five sessions they need cleaning.

Airline out in the garden and half a morning of sneezing soon has them good again - unless there's a better way?

They do their job though and my house remains lovely and dust-free...
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX

beko1987

Re: R267PGF 2.0TCT - Byebye sunroof!

Post by beko1987 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:22 am

Well, for the past few weeks I've been getting into the car and finding a wet keypad. Water was dripping from the light cluster, so I removed that temporarily. Water then just dripped onto the armrest, so after a week of putting an old towel over everything before I left it, I stripped it back on saturday to try and fix it...

First thing I noticed was the cage that the light cluster screws into was very loose. That'll be that squeaking sorted then!!

Once the headlining was off, and everything else removed, I poured a watering can over the top to see where it was leaking from. This, frankly excellent idea was scuppered when the volume of water overwhelmed the sunroof and it all flooded into the car...

However, it all died down and eventually I could see where it was leaking from

No drips from here though with it removed

In doing this, I confirmed there's lots of room to run microphone cables up and around should I need to, and fit a DAB aerial when funds allow

I decided to try and seal the motor where it goes into the worm assembly

As most of you have probably shouted by now, that was a stupid idea!

as once fitted masticky water blobbed out again. Worked out that the worm drive assembly is full of water, and the grease holds it back when the motor is removed. However it runs onto the motor when fitted.

Random sticker shots

With the weather very much like this

and the xm very much like this with the sunroof motor removed

I had a think. Remembered all the threads I've read on here about the sunroof frame rusting out and popping the glass off its seal. Didn't fancy going to all that effort at the moment for a sunroof I've used twice since I've had the car, so found my tube of Tiger Seal, refitted the motor to close the roof for the last time for now and sealed her up

which worked completely! In the monsoon we had yesterday, the interior was bone dry. Bit of moisture on the inside of the runners, I think the rubber-glass bit needs some sealing work, but 100% better. Can unpick the sealent in the future if I fancy fixing it, and put the sunroof motor back in (left it out for now) it will be fine.

But for now, for winter when the blind will be pulled anyway, job done!

Drove home, and the wind noise from that area has gone now too!

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:31 am

Excellent Sam :D
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:26 am

Blasted leaking sunroofs....

I hope you'll fix it properly in the spring time Sam! :) It would spoil a lot of my XM driving - non working sun roofs. Even and maybe especially, living in Ireland :) I seem to have been lucky, 3 problem less sunroofs in XM's. Well not entirely, I did have a leaking antenna which was the easiest fix ever.

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:38 am

Bloody things. I'm fed up of mine. Still it is not letting in water now.
I found that the motor screw holes, where it screws into the frame above lets in water. Some sealant up them cured my first leak. Then there's the aerial mount like Jaap has said. And then there is the full enchilada .....glass to frame seal.

Well done Sam though for stopping the water getting in. You don't want it getting under the carpet and the foam soaking it all up.
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

beko1987

Post by beko1987 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:45 am

That's it. I weighed up the pro's and cons and decided that as I never use the thing I wouldn't miss it! Plus one of the drain tubes was weeping at the join, so I smeared some hylomar around it, but then sealed the whole thing, so at least that's another patch of soggy headlining avoided!

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:55 am

I use it all the time, see. Sometimes even to keep awake. When a main road is closed off for example for some cattle fair and I have to drive one hour extra (2.5 hours) to get home from work....:( But I still haven't got the picture of where your leak is coming from this time. Not the seal, not the antenna so what's the third possibility again? The motor fixiings?

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:03 am

If it wasn't so much aggro, I would replace the roof panels and linings. XM look so much better without a sunroof, anyway.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White