R267PGF 2.0TCT - MOT Pass!

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
beko1987
Has changed a sphere or two

Re: R267PGF 2.0TCT - Winter Wash

Post by beko1987 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:01 am

Wax only lasts 3-4 months I find. A good wash with wax safe shampoo every few weeks keeps it looking lovely. Amys car can be nearly white with dirt, and a good wash later the shine and beading is back!

Dodo Juice Born to be Mild is what I use, and it found some protection lurking from back in November! The liquid wax I used then isn't renowned for its longetivity. I normally use it in the summer where dry weather and frequent washing to keep the dust off makes it last. Hard Wax's are generally longer lasting than others.

I also use a hard wax, you sure your wax wasnt meant to be hard capt'n? Poorboys Nattys Blue if anyone's interested! Should still be shining by may-june ish when I'll strip it all off and re-polish.
2.0TCT VSX Auto Estate (without leather)

beko1987

Re: R267PGF 2.0TCT - Brakes and Exhaust

Post by beko1987 » Tue May 13, 2014 10:44 am

Well, it really has just been
Get in and drive to work
drive home
get up and drive to work
drive home
tip run
deliver washing machine
petrol
drive to work

etc etc for far too long! I had the parts, my daughter was at nannys for the day and amy went off shopping, so I had a gander at the brakes

I've been avoiding the brakes as much as possible as I knew they were low...

It's the most brilliant caliper I've worked on! Bosch the bottom pin out and the whole thing hinges up!

Thats as far as I got. I went to get my caliper rewind tools and had the horrible realisation they were still in my mums garage. Buggar(beautiful sunny morning here). Look in the haynes book, try using a small piece of bar as it suggests. Tear a massive chunk of skin my thumb...Call Amy (a friend of ours drove her as he wanted to go shopping too) and get her to run to halfords. either the full kit for £40 or nothing... mate says they will finish shopping and swing past, grab my keys and pop 25 miles to marlow, grab tools and come back. Great.

Had a go at the exhaust whilst I waited and the car was up on stands anyway

It's not a finished job as the sealent still hasnt arrived but the new clamp has almost killed the blow as it is, as it holds the pipes together and keeps the joint straight. Couldnt get the old clamp off so hammered it over a thicker bit of the exhaust for now. I think I need to drop the back of the exhaust to seal it so will try again then!

It's getting cloudy now, I call to see where they are and they've got to the garage. Tools obtained, they hit the motorway, and heavy rain. I sit in the shed and have a few rollies and a beer watching the rain.

They arrive back. I set the rewind tool up, crack off the caliper bleed nipple and 3 minutes later the calipers down, job jobbed.

Heavy rain now.

One side done, I ran round to the drivers side and did the whole thing in 5 minutes. Pain getting the wheel on and off as my thumb hurt against the breaker bar. Soldiered on and the job was done. No idea if the wear sensors work, the old sensors were worn but no info. I cleaned up the earth point and sprayed the plug with switch cleaner. Dont care anyway, I know their good.

Celebrated with 15 minutes of no exhaust blow ruining it citrobatics with my mate who was fascinated!

Amy went out to get eva at this point, so we cracked a can and decided to see what the washing situation was like at our new place. We were on the road, but had all the gear (he's a detailer dude too...)

And she had her first wash in ages. Wind was howling a gale so it was a quick rinse, foam, tightwork, wheels, rinse wash and rinse but it looked better!

Popped out to get some petrol and grabbed a shot!

And because Amy is at work tonight I parked in our designated space, rather than on the road by the back gate

I've rekindled my spark with the old girl. If it would just start doing OMG60MPG tomorrow it would be brilliant... Brakes are much sharper now too. Just need to finish the exhaust and get a new rear tyre as its starting to perish on the outside shoulder.

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Wed May 14, 2014 5:23 pm

Great to see an update from you Sam :D
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

beko1987

Post by beko1987 » Fri May 16, 2014 11:52 am

I consider it a plus point of XM ownership that I've been able to do thousands of miles without having to really do anything apart from put petrol in!

Need a new rear tyre soon though, then tax and MOT next month!

beko1987

Re: R267PGF 2.0TCT - Well needed clean!

Post by beko1987 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:28 pm

Been doing a few things recently!

Fully sorted the exhaust! Took the time todrop the whole centre section, clean the mating faces up and smother it in exhaust fitting paste! With the whole exhaust rotated slightly which lined everything up bob on and I think something that wasnt done when last fitted it works perfectly! Silent on idle (can hear the engine more), slightly throaty on hard hoonage but I think its meant to be like that.

Cant really tell but the paste was oozing out of the clamp. Expands when hot and cured too, it took a day for it to fully stop the blow!

Re-used the back clamp as it was fine. Again, paste oozing out

Thought about removing the back box too and removing and re-fitting in a removable way the heat shield but couldnt be bothered in the end!

Was loads of room under there!

Whilst it was on the ramps I could get good access to the leaky fuel pipes, and fitted a jubilee clip right above the citroen clip

Doesnt smell of petrol anymore, which one assumes is a good thing! If it starts to leak again I'l take the citroen clips off and re-position the jubilee but I dont thing thats going to happen!

Fast forward to today, I had the day of work for something which finished at half 10, so grabbed the chance that rarely happens when SWMBO and daughter go away for the night and wash the car!!! (you all knew that was coming...)

Started with a rinse,foam, tightwork and rinse

Cleaned the wheels and tyres

Washed

Dried and SRP'd

Buffed, 2x layers of Nattys Blue wax, trim dressed and windows polished then another buff to get rid of any clouding and job jobbed!

Probably should have grabbed some new total stickers when they were about, but it's patina isnt it!

Just need to book the MOT now!

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Re: R267PGF 2.0TCT - Well needed clean!

Post by russ92xmsed » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:06 pm

Looking great Sam. Gleaming.

I have one last repro Total sticker if you want one. £4.00 posted or £3.50 at a rally. :) ... I think that was what i was selling them for!!!
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

beko1987

Re: R267PGF 2.0TCT - MOT Pass!

Post by beko1987 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:05 pm

MOT went well today!

Advisories for:

Rear passenger tyre - it is borderline, fair enough!
There's another blow at a smal hole behind the centre silencer. Will try and find it at the weekend and fill it with exhaust paste
Oil leak - For as long as I've owned her the back of the blocks been covered in a thinfilm of oil, I think the rocker cover needs doing. Doesnt loose any though, and my mate did say he was clutching at straws for advisory items!

The front strut return pipes are a bit perished though, going up to high to be jacked up we notice LHM all over the front drivers arch, the pipe had snapped where it joins the pipework leading off the the lhm system. Fixed by pulling the remains off andpushing it back on again. We did uum and aah about if it was an mot issue but deduced it was just a leak-off pipe and nothing more was said.

Scraped through the emissions though, that pesky hole didnt help there!

But a pass is a pass, and after fixing the ZX tonight I might have to spend some time getting her ready for sale at the weekend. Did want to tax her, but cant afford it so will have to lower my ideal price a bit and get her on the market. I aim to keep her insured though so if a sale were to happen I could accompany the new owner to the post office before we sign the V5's and get a disc that way.

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:19 am

excellent on the MOT Sam :D
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:34 am

Well done. Great result, hope the sale goes well.
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

ragger
Citrobics expert

Post by ragger » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:11 pm

Big fan of new MOTs!!