These, are the voyages of the starship Turby D.

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
captainhaddock
XM Guru

Re: These, are the voyages of the starship Turby D.

Post by captainhaddock » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:13 pm

It is blue and I never changed it so it must be that one. So I understand it's older than 2012?

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:22 am

Yeah, check my handwritten notes in the back of the owners manual. It should say when I changed it there.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:23 pm

As for the battery, there's no note there but that's only the battery.

Anybody a 2.1 TD pressure regulator lying around? I know for a fact that they are different than the ones on the TCT, as my Diesel XM has an extra pipe going to the FDV thing. So since I cannot for the world find the FDV valve of the dismantled TCT so I gather that model doesn't have the same system. Strange.

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:39 pm

The tct must be younger than the td. Liz's car won't have a fdv either. I have some here. What's wrong with yours? Fdv was only on sinking cars.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:51 pm

hi Robert, they were both 1996 but the black one had antisink so you are right. Liz's car don't have fdv, true again.

Pressure regulator is leaking, usual spot. So I wrongly assumed I had plenty of spares but I have none. I'd like to repair (yes it is possible thanks to Furriegurrie's advice thanks) but I prefer to just swap or at least have one spare. ps. I've got the re gassing equipment from technosir here.

In my experience, just swapping one will usually give you a leaking one sooner or later because those rubber rings inside deteriorate. Wouldn't mind getting one from you though.

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:30 am

Hi Jaap,

I'll have to come over for a blast of gas Some time!

Search on here for pressure regulator tuning I think. Where you can reset the cut out pressures of the pressure regulator. I'll lend you my gauge.

The pressure regulator is easy to repair. You will have no problem doing it.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:40 am

Ah well a quick update why not..starship Turby Durby as we do NOT call the French machine.....(just: 'the Diesel'....;) made another un remarkable round trip from Ireland to France of more than 2400 miles of which only a few, were remarkable. It started with something blowing up. But we didn't notice so then there was the well known 'bleep' accompanied with the red warning light and message: temperature too hot.....What? Temperature was just fine as usual just under 90 degrees. Didn't I solder those joints in the sensor on the coolant tank a while back ??? :( But it went black again and we drove all the way through the UK being spotted by no other XM-ers (as it was night time....) Only 3 deviations but still well in time for the Dover ferry on which we slept for an hour or less.
We made good time using remarkably little Diesel fuel as usual until we reached the famous capital of Paris. Now, I have driven there many times but I would be lying to say I think it is good fun, especially whilst not well rested. So at some time on the periphery of Paris, my sleepy eye, eyed the my temp. gauge just about in the red!!!???? Oh noo, not again???? By some miracle I was lucky to be able to stop somewhere safe and had a much needed toilet stop first whilst my mind was racing......coolant gone, burst pipes oh no, not again??? But there was no visible dripping underneath the engine which seemed to be normally warm and running fine. After a while I checked the coolant level, and it hadn't gone out of it's system, at least.....Thermostat??? The fans weren't even running. So I decided to make the fans run hard for a while and we went back into the car jungle/traffic/jams. A quite modern car ( was it a Focus???) had broken down on the left lane which in my view is truly a night mare especially if you're a poor foreigner without road assistance! :) The next traffic jam consisted of a lot of police cars guiding some sort of strike.....and Turby's temp.gauge was still almost but not quite in the red.....Thankfully my no more sleepy eye witnessed some flickering at some point of the meter on the dash. Going in a flash from 90 to 110 or whatever and it was then, my hunch of a faulty sensor was proven cause I had had no bleepings or red lights so far that day. Anyways, after that all went back to normal be it, that the gauge is now showing 75 degrees instead of 85 -ish ever since. But hey, that is not complaint but still, I 'd much much prefer simple temperature gauges instead of all this non sense electronics. 'The Diesel' did well towing our tormented trailer full of sand and cement in France and is now back home in it's garage after many many miles. Oh I nearly forgot, something did blow up, it was again, that rear left speaker of which I now only have one spare. Surely that won't last long ;)

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:14 pm

A beatiful trip to the MOT today?
Well yes really but both me and Liz drive this to work all the time and for a long time...so why today on a free Sunday again?
Because of that car test.....but since it was free would you believe it, I didn't feel like changing and loosing the free test so....

My usual test mechanic was off today of course so the mechanic who was there had never seen an XM. 'Is it a Xantia??' Uhrm well no...
He didn't know how to open the bonnet or operate the parking brake either, can't really blame him.
He went around and under the car so intensely and I never saw anybody looking and feeling if the tail light units and the corner windows weren't loose.
His face was grave and concentrated in a way that he even started making me slightly nervous. I hadn't really serviced the car, in fact I'll do that tomorrow :oops:

He came back and said it had passed and it was 'a very clean car' and 'in very good nick and it looks like a xantia...'but he had broken off the plastic thing of the dipstick....I said I'd sue him ;)

So all good now! I got the test free because the MOT centre could not make an appointment for me within 4 weeks which they are obliged to do. Happy days!

Dean
Global Moderator

Post by Dean » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:24 pm

A free pass! Well done, lovely country your in too.

D
92 Citroen XM Prestige 3.0i Auto R.P5678
14 Mitsubishi L200 Trojan
89 Talbot Express 2.0 coach built Auto-trail Chinook

Addicted to Crackanory

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:58 pm

Well done Jaap. :D Great news. And free!... Can't argue with that.

'I'll sue'.... Love it! :lol:
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk