These, are the voyages of the starship Turby D.

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
CitroJim
Citroen God!

Re: These, are the voyages of the starship Turby D.

Post by CitroJim » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:35 pm

russ92xmsed wrote: Take the 2.1 to France!!! See what the best MPG figure you can get!
Yes, and if less than 50 on a run like that you are doing something wrong!

Jaap, what pump has yours got? Bosch or Lucas EPIC? The EPIC will be a bit better for economy perhaps. I could get up to 55 out of my old Xantia 2.1TD estate on a good run...

The 2.1 is a brilliant engine and the EPIC is a brilliant pump...
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:48 pm

Good figures Jim. Wish it would do 55 round town ;)

But both Jaap and I have autos...a slight hindrance...however on a good steady cruise mine uses very little fuel.

I think Jaaps is a Bosch.
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:17 pm

Mine is a bosch. I thought Lucas is non mechanical and needs some sort of ECU signal so I don't suppose you can swap them easily.

50 MPG is 1 litre of petrol for 17,72 kilometres. I don't think an auto box can achieve that, or at least not easily.
Maybe by going 90 km/h for a long long long trip without roundabouts :). Having said that, I got good economy last week around 46 mpg. My Xantia never ever went that far on a litre. At least diesel is less expensive here than in the UK.

If we take the diesel, I'll have to swap the stereo's. Not sure not sure yet.

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:21 pm

Ahh yes, an auto might dent economy a bit Russ but on the cruise, not that much I'd have thought...

I'm definitely loosing it :twisted: I thought your TD was a manual one Jaap :roll: Goodness knows where I got that idea from. I seriously worry about me sometimes...

Yes, the Lucas is all electronic and 'fly-by-wire'. It's by no means an easy job to swap the Bosch for a Lucas at all. It's a lot easier to swap the other way - from Lucas to Bosch...

The Lucas is an excellent economy pump but it's a bit fussy and will not tolerate anything but good, clean diesel. They don't even seem to thrive on biodiesel and veg oil will kill them very quickly...
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:35 pm

No worries. What veg oil can you actually use with a bosch pump. I mean I suppose there's veg oil and veg oil and sunflower oil light and whatever. I am sure you cannot put anything in..

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:48 pm

The usual choice I believe is rapeseed oil. The end product of all those smelly fields of yellow that blot our green and pleasant land and upset those of us with sensitive noses :twisted:

It's often available quite reasonably in 20l drums from cash and carry places..

I believe any cooking oil will do though... Corn oil, sunflower oil. The cheaper the better it seems.

I don't believe olive oil is a good choice though..

Mix it 50/50 with proper diesel and off you go..

Do be aware though that cooking oil has quite a scouring action and will clean up a diesel tank beautifully and then block your fuel filter as a result. In the first few months of running veg you'll consume a few filters because of this and it's not a bad idea to carry one and the tools to change it by the side of the road...

Some run on waste veg oil, the stuff from the KFC fryers and so on. That's not straightforward as the oil must be at least de-watered and finely filtered before use. Even a Bosch pump has trouble pumping chicken nuggets...

Unless you can get the oil very cheaply I think with the cost of oil vs. the cost of proper diesel and all the faffing around involved makes it barely viable at the moment. It would be different if veg was dirt-cheap and diesel very dear.

Jaap, I don't know what the Irish duty regulations are but in the UK the first 2500 litres of veg per year you use in a road going vehicle are duty-free. After that you’re then supposed to pay normal duty on what you use so you need to add veg accounting to the hassle factor :evil:
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:09 pm

Stick with Diesel Jaap, choose your colour wisely! That car has never had any of that Veg oil crap run through it, only diesel.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:10 pm

I will Robert :) Green, was it :) :)

I do need to replace a gearbox drive shaft seal at some time this year. They look the same as the Xantia's. Done that before I am sure can do it again, fairly easy. But draining the gearbox as normal, will that be sufficient (I know there's more oil in it than what will come out) I would think so but just to be on the safe side, thought I throw the question.

This part is actually one of the only parts I ever got at a citroen dealer..

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:57 pm

Yeah, the environmentalists like green cars!

Drive shaft seal? Whats wrong with it?
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:02 pm

Really and truly, diesel is the best fuel to use. But if want to stretch out the the old diseasel, rape seed oil or sunflower oil is the best SVO to use.
It technically is a lubricant, fuel system wise, but pulls a load of gunk out the petrol tank. So filter changes will need doing often to begin with.

46mpg is quite good Jaap. I thought 39mpg was average. No idea what i am getting.
Anyway, which ever car you take to France, it is an XM and that is the most important thing!
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk