These, are the voyages of the starship Turby D.

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
captainhaddock
XM Guru

Re: These, are the voyages of the starship Turby D.

Post by captainhaddock » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:18 pm

Drive shaft seal? Whats wrong with it?

is leaking somewhat. I thought it was (red! :) diesel but having spent time underneath, you can see it's loosing Dextron oil there.
It's old age.... incontinence I think it's called. 39mpg maybe in town Russ, I'll update on fuel consumption cause I drive a lot unfortunately.

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:38 pm

:D :D :D Enjoy!!! I used to get over 40 mpg on that car with a lot of motorway and little town use. ;)
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:16 am

I do agree that diesel is the best fuel to use. I offered as much information as I know on the subject just in case you wanted to experiment... The only good use of veg I see at present is if we ever suffer a fuel shortage due to tanker drivers acting up or whatever. I know it saved a few last time although not unexpectedly perhaps veg in bulk became quite sought-after and then scarce..

Jaap, which side has the duff seal? I see no great difference to doing a manual 'box and is a good opportunity to change the ATF. Whichever side it is the driveshaft needs to come out and that's a lot easier on the passenger side that on the driver's side..

I find that the intermediate bearing is either really easy or really difficult... Never anywhere in between :twisted:
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:34 am

Hi Jim, it's the passenger side.

I never had trouble with the intermediate bearing although I am 100% not sure I know what you mean. The longer drive shaft (passenger side) is supported in a separate bearing, I know as much. The driver side: with a manual box the drive shaft goes right into the gearbox as far as my 2 xantia's were concerned, that is. What difficulty do you refer to?

Anyway, I'm not afraid of this job but looking at the engine I still see an awful lot that doesn't make sense to me (I mean I don't know what I'm looking at, yet) That will change at some point hopefully.

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:15 am

Yes, it's the driving of the intermediate bearing out of the housing so the driveshaft can be removed Jaap. I have had cases where I've had to use a cold chisel and a very, very large club hammer on them to drive them out of the bearing housing and others have practically fallen out as soon as the 'hockey sticks' are loosened. You just can't tell..

Don't worry about anything you don't yet understand on the engine. We're here to help you!
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:48 pm

At times I feel like labelling all the different parts of the engine so I won't forget what they are!
Look a bit messy though. :lol:
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:28 pm

That's not such a bad idea Russ.. Years ago over on the FCF someone took a picture of a 1.9TD engine bay and overlaid a grid onto it. Then he made up a chart of all the items and their locations on the grid...

It was very well received and very valuable as someone say, asking the location of the fuel filter we could say D3 and everyone was happy..

A bit like an automotive game of Battleships...

Perhaps we could do similar here...
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:19 pm

:lol: That would actually be really good! What a brilliant idea. Maybe we should do something like that.
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:52 pm

Logbook 28/4/2013 - everything functioning properly. Got fuel topped up, all systems code green and functioning properly. #
Finished wax oil job too. This is a most time consuming dirty job but needs to be done. You don't want this (see picture 13th reply)
http://www.citroen-forum.nl/forums/viewthread/221212/

Don't get me started on this brilliant idea! Hard enough to find the little coolant air release valve!

Anyone have experience with these, (sorry for the language - how do you call them in English)

http://r.twenga.nl/g3.php?pg=VDszNjAwOT ... E%3D&dac=1

Apparently a good one, can undo crank shaft pulley bolt, or so I am told.

Knowing how much force is needed, I just wonder if anyone has any experience with these.

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:43 am

You have been busy!

Rattle guns in everyday English Jaap :D Excellent tools and very effective too. last used an electric one on a Mazda RX-8 crank pulley bolt of similar proportions to the XM crank bolt and it worked beautifully... Nothing else would touch it...
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX