These, are the voyages of the starship Turby D.

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
captainhaddock
XM Guru

Re: These, are the voyages of the starship Turby D.

Post by captainhaddock » Wed May 01, 2013 9:51 am

Hmmm.... :)

One of the delivery people at work, complained some weeks ago, that his temporary brand new replacement truck, had been replaced again with his own and repaired old (2002) truck. He wouldn't stop complaining how he now, hated his old truck so I told him I know how he feels,
explaining to him that it was me, who replaced 'that' ugly old grey rusty 'modern' 2002' Ford Focus for 'that' old blue citroen.
He gave me 'the' look.....
But today, he came back to me and told me with a smile, he now understood how I felt! :) ha ha

'If you know what I mean! '

Happy days!

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Wed May 01, 2013 12:43 pm

I like it Jaap...

It's surprising how many think we run these old cars because it's all we can afford rather than because we actually want to...
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Wed May 01, 2013 12:46 pm

Point well proven Jaap. you really have been busy...i really must get under mine and do the rear.

I get the same impression from some people too Jim. But I think an XM looks different enough compared to an old fiesta for example. I find people are intrigued more than anything.
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Wed May 01, 2013 3:21 pm

That's also part of the fun, Russ! :) Even though it doesn't apply to Ireland and the Irish. I never noticed when driving in the UK.

Still thinking about binding brakes...I never had that problem. But I have to try and avoid it. Is it hard to take off that scuttle Russ, without braking the plastic clips of those corner pieces ?

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Wed May 01, 2013 3:35 pm

russ92xmsed wrote:. you really have been busy...i really must get under mine and do the rear.
:oops: what do you mean Russ? the rust proofing? That does take a good few hours in the evenings, very true and it is a filthy job.
And so is cleaning and repainting the garage floor :oops:
But that needed doing anyway.

Turby D is still worth it though and it does give piece of mind. Last tip: buy disposable coveralls and a good mask, well worth the investment.

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Wed May 01, 2013 5:02 pm

Yeah I mean injecting the box sections with something and tidying up the rear subframe. I did the boot floor and some bits and bobs last year before the winter. But there's always more to do.

Good tip on the coveralls. I do have some overalls, but the throw away ones would be a very good idea.

It's not difficult to get the scuttle off. You just need to be careful with the side caps. They have a funny way of getting them off. You need to push down and pull gently out. But be very careful as snappage can occur.

Then the scuttle panel is held in by screws behind the caps and one in the engine bay. Then it sort of pulls up and out. There are four lugs which can snap off. I find having the bonnet slightly open helps. It is fiddly but it will come out.
Then the valve is in the scuttle.

Great opportunity to clean the scuttle out too.
Russ

Also

Dieselman
Global Moderator

Post by Dieselman » Wed May 01, 2013 6:47 pm

russ92xmsed wrote:
It's not difficult to get the scuttle off. You just need to be careful with the side caps. They have a funny way of getting them off. You need to push down and pull gently out. But be very careful as snappage can occur.
I find it's better to lift the top off first, then press down to release the fragile base clips.
92 2.1SED M.RP5740 ECZ Sable Phenicien
92 3.0 V6-24.Rp 5713 EXY Black
92 2.1SD M.RP 5685 ENT Blue Sideral
Prev
90 2.1SD M.RP 5049 EJV Mandarin
92 2.1SD A.RP 5698 EJV Mandarin
94 2.1SD A.RP 6218 ERT Triton Green
91 2.0SI M.RP 5187 EWT White

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Thu May 02, 2013 4:38 am

Dieselman wrote:
I find it's better to lift the top off first, then press down to release the fragile base clips.[/quote]

Absolutely, yes!

They're little sods until you understand how the clips work and then they're OK...
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Thu May 02, 2013 12:46 pm

Yeah, they are tricky....everyone has their own technique!
Russ

Also

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Thu May 02, 2013 2:13 pm

Well, I didn't need any technique, 3 of the 4 hooks were already gone. Strangely enough, it still seems to hold it's positions perfectly. It was clean inside as well. So took me very little time to spray some oil on the wiper links, and that brake valve.

I marked the place where that brake valve is positioned just in case because it is visible with a pen light with the scuttle in place. If ever needed, you could spray something on it if it happens along the way.

As for wiper links, they're the same system as the xantia. They were really worn to the point of coming loose twice, in their Irish and very rainy life time. Bit of attention won't hurt there though.