A non Citroen arrival to the collection...

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
David Hallworth
Citrobics expert

A non Citroen arrival to the collection...

Post by David Hallworth » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:08 pm

I was flicking through Gumtree last week and managed to find a 407 Coupe that caught my eye...

It's a metallic black car with black leather, GT spec so full colour sat nav and all of the toys fitted to it. It's a 1 owner car from new that has covered 23k miles, has a full service history and is absolutely immaculate.

It's a pretty rare 407 Coupe in that it's a 3.0 V6 Petrol, but what makes it even rarer is that it's a 6 speed manual rather then the usual 6 speed automatic and it has only covered 23,000 miles. Peugeot stopped making the 3.0 Petrol Coupe in May 2007 and this was registered on 31st May 2007 so I believe it's a very late model.

Apparently it belonged to an old man who bought it new and cherished it dearly, washing and waxing it every weekend and pampering it all of its life. Unfortunately around 18 months ago he died from cancer and the car has been sat in his garage ever since.

The car was in Belfast and after speaking to the guy on the phone I decided that I'd see if Luke fancied going to have a look at it for me. He came back to me with a good report so a deal was done.

We flew over to Belfast to pick it up, drove to the ferry in Dublin then sailed to Holyhead to go visit family in North Wales before heading on a nice long cruise back up the road home. Once off the ferry in Holyhead we bumped into Paul (citroenxm) on the A5 who was in a XM Estate so stopped for a quick chat :)

Upon picking it up we needed to fill it with fuel as the light was on, surprisingly it only took 60 litres to fill. We then hit the road and aimed for the port in Dublin. Cruise control set at 70mph and the car was returning 33.3mpg average over 100 miles. We did a couple of hundred miles of A and B road driving around North Wales, a few miles of which had the sport suspension turned on and then set the cruise at 80mph all the way home on the motorway. Average economy over 850 miles is sitting at 28.5mpg which I'm quite happy with.

The seller said that the car almost needed two new tyres so we did a deal that I'd take it as it stood however upon arriving in Dublin I noticed that the tyres were awful, the drivers tyre was smooth and you could see cord on the inside of it so it went straight in for tyres and an MOT in Wales the next morning. The tyres are 235/45/18 W which unfortunately are expensive.

The total bill for 4 tyres, the tracking adjusted slightly and the MOT was £708. It did however pass it's MOT without even an advisory.

As this was the cheapest 407 Coupe that I'd ever seen I wasn't to upset at having to spend that on it as any car you buy could need a set of tyres. Luckily though all the TMPS valves work and the car drives like it did the day it left the showroom. It really is totally silent and it has impressed me much more then I thought it would.

This car has impressed me much more so then I thought it would, I'm really taken by it, it's quick, comfy, smooth and whisper quiet when on a run. The suspension is nice when driving normally, it's not Citroen soft but it's not hard and crashy. Then if you press the sport switch on the dashboard everything firms up and the ride becomes much harder and it corners fantastically. I'd even go as far as saying it's a better car, especially as far as the seats are concerned then the C6 is.

We got home at 16.30 on Saturday from Wales and I was reminded that I still needed to service Cheryl's 207 as it was overdue and I'd decided not to do it on Monday before we went so I got that out of the way.

I then decided that as I had a whole packet of genuine Citroen/Peugeot V6 oil filters and sump plug washers as well as oil I'd treat the 407 to some nice new oil and a filter so it's been done this evening too...

Anyway, that's enough of me rambling on for tonight.

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Re: A non Citroen arrival to the collection...

Post by robert_e_smart » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:35 am

A great car indeed. I really liked mine, but couldn,'t imagine driving that big GT cruiser with a DIY box!

Enjoy the rest of your time with it. My Coupe was more comfortable than the 407 SW that replaced it. But the estate was nicer to drive faster than the coupe which I didn't find the most confidence inspiring at times.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
2008 Volvo V70 D5 SE Lux Automatic
2009 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Automatic

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:50 am

Nice and good looking car! DIY box I don't understand, Robert, you mean not an automatic or a bad box

David Hallworth
Citrobics expert

Post by David Hallworth » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:01 am

This is a 6 speed manual that Robert doesn't approve of. He thinks I should of got the 6 speed auto.
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:02 am

A manual box Jaap ;) :D
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:47 pm

What a steal. Very nice car David. This will end up being on of those ultra rare versions having the petrol and manual drivetrain.

Is it me though, or does anyone else agree that they didn't get the rear bumper design quite right.
It's the only thing that annoys me about it.
Sorry David, it isn't a criticism of your car!
Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

robert_e_smart
Global Moderator

Post by robert_e_smart » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:06 pm

I agree Russ, that was the only thing I didn't like about the 407 Coupe design.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

russ92xmsed
Global Moderator

Post by russ92xmsed » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:03 pm

Ahhh...glad i'm not the only one. :D This is how I probably would have done it! ;)

Russ

1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5712
1992 K reg XM 2.1 Auto SED RP 5705 (D)
Also
2003 C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive

I sell Engine bay, 1990 COTY, Total & Club XM Sticker Decals
http://www.rjwcreativedesign.co.uk

captainhaddock
XM Guru

Post by captainhaddock » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:39 pm

I agree but have another try Russ :) You are getting there.

David Hallworth
Citrobics expert

Post by David Hallworth » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:31 pm

I agree Russ, there's something about the back that's not perfect. Your photoshop does look impressive though! If you ever start getting 407 Coupe rear bumpers moulded stick my order on the list ;)

Peugeot sell a "Peugeot Sport" exhaust for the car that gives it a tailpipe at either side of the bumper but it's £800 so I reckon I'll make do with it as it is.

We've also got a 406 Coupe in the household which is a much prettier looking car then the 407. It's one of the last 3.0 V6 Manual's as well. It looks much smaller when parked next to the 407 and feels smaller, quicker and a bit more nimble to drive.

The proportions on the 406 are much more elegant then they are on the 407. I don't think the 407 is a bad looking car, in fact, by modern standards it's actually a good looking one, however it's nowhere near as pretty as the 406.

David.
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel