KP's growing amount of Citroens...

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
citroenxm
Global Moderator

Re: KP's growing amount of Citroens...

Post by citroenxm » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:04 pm

Thanks for the Offer Will, Id have NO Time for any watching and boiling of oils. It NEEDS to be pour and shove in at the moment, unfortunally..
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

kingp
Could do a 2.1 headgasket

Post by kingp » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:40 pm

Just leave it in the tubs to settle out and come back in a month or two, better to have more oil than lot enough :)

citroenxm
Global Moderator

Post by citroenxm » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:54 pm

Really? What will happen, will the water sink to the lower level??
Projects:(eventually if theres any bodywork left)
93 L Xm 2.1t D auto project
93 L xm V6 12v Sei Manual

Others
In use.. 1995 M reg S2 2.1td auto exclusive

kingp

Post by kingp » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:05 pm

All the water and crud sinks to he bottom :) it's better if it stays warmer but the cold and warm cycling of being outside and exposed to daylight helps circulate a little so takes longer.

It's how I settle out the crud from the stuff from the kitchen in the house :) sits in an old gravy boat in the window will and stays warm but is only a small amount. Settles out within a week or so.

kingp

Post by kingp » Thu May 01, 2014 9:27 am

Well another update as Slimer plods along taking the miles as he goes.

Anyway the only fault occurred in the last few weeks has been a small veg leak.
In the last week it got worse so I could see where it was coming quite easily.
The fuel return pipe from the injectors looked to be leaking but infact it was the stop piece instead that had just fallen to bits!

I've put a temp one on but I really need to find a rubber unit that can take the use of veg as I think the halfords one I used last time was h cheapest rubber they must have been able to get their hands on :(

I reckon the replacement will only last a few months again do a proper one will need to be found soon as I reckon it's lost me a good few litres of veg while driving :(

Other think will be getting some engine degreaser on there at some point and leave it a while to soak in.

CitroJim
Citroen God!

Post by CitroJim » Thu May 01, 2014 6:08 pm

When you spoke of a veg leak I had a mental picture of you leaving a trail of cabbages in your wake Will... :)

The little end caps falling to bits used to happen to me a lot. I stopped using them in the end and just used an odd bit of normal leakoff pipe doubled over upon itself and secured with a beefy cable tie..

Those used to last a treat...
Jim

'98 Saxo
'95 AX
Three bikes - Road, Aero and TT

Ex- owner of several XMs and many Xantias!

kingp

Post by kingp » Thu May 01, 2014 6:20 pm

Ahh that was a thought Jim. I did think of 'T'ing it into another section so it just looped back around to be honest.

kingp

Post by kingp » Tue May 13, 2014 10:48 pm

Well time for an update!

Slimer has now ticked over 205,000miles and is putting the miles on like a fat kid at a free cake shop puts on calories!

As a present he has decided that he wants me to guess how much fuel he has in his tank :(
Sometimes the needle does a dance and sits lower than I know it should do by a mark or two, goes upto well over full and flashes the low warning light, or drops to empty and the low fuel light stays solid.

First thing I had a quick check on was the connector at the tank end. Took off cleaned quickly and reseated. Didn't improve much if at all.

Next will be to remove the assembly and put another in it's place as it's a simple assembly by all accounts and being so old and covered so many miles it will have some wear on it.

If the replacement fails to resume service then the dash clocks are going to be the culprit.
If they are at fault this poses a right pain in the a55 as I don't want to put in higher mileage or lower mileage clocks.
Being a 2.5 I'm sure the speedo is electric driven so I can't simplest increase the miles of a lower miles odo. Is prob have to swap some back panel parts over and make one good working odo from the two which will no doubt be a barrel of laughs :(
Anyway fingers crossed for a simple tank unit swap as it's affecting the range measurement as well this could point to the gauge sender I'm hoping!

xmexclusive
Global Moderator

Post by xmexclusive » Wed May 14, 2014 9:11 am

Hi KP

The fuel gauge sender in the tank is very sensitive to correct positioning and the float wire is easily bent out of shape.
There is an arrow marking on the sender head to give position.
The float is then positioned in a narrow clear area of the tank to move up and down in it.
Much out and the float ends rub and catch giving odd readings.

John

kingp

Post by kingp » Wed May 14, 2014 9:46 am

I think I've checked that but with it jumping around at the bottom and that odd reading saying it was full I can only think it's electrical and not mechanical as it's been fine for ages since I last took it out and put it back in.