Old pics of other toys in my car

The place to show off and tell us all about your XMs (or even other cars). Should it be a big project, or just some general pics, start your thread in here.
flez1966
Knows how to use the parking brake

Old pics of other toys in my car

Post by flez1966 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:17 pm

Ok this is an old post but I have kind of moved it here from where it was, as most on here may not have seen it...

Memories, as the car this was all in has now gone, the toys remail, and will be fitted to my current xm time permitting as i 'upgrade' it...

so here goes the old post..

Parts choice and background

This is my Citroen XM install, a Work In Progress, but coming on nicely....

I decided on an AMD geode as its not too expensive for a processor and power consumption is low enough for a car PC, I have gone with the small m1-atx power supply, as I plan to power all my accessorys with a separate supply from the main PC.

For a screen I had an IBM 4820 but decided to treat myself to a smaller screen as it would fit nicely in the centre console, the 4820 used to catch my leg now and again, and look rather 'tacked on' as opposed to being actually fitted.

Sound is from a separate 4 channel amplifier of about 75 real watts, I dont want to enter competitions just to be able to hear a bit of music as I drive.

I choose the silabs FM radio stick after trying a few others, and it replaces my old DSBR100 nicely and has much better reception.

Graphics card is an odd one... Its an old matrox marvel g400, and it cant be beat, no one has ever been able to show me a better card for two screen output, and I still hold that challenge open to all, I have tried card after card, and none work as good, downside is there old, a bit power hungry and hot running, and they don't support XP very well....

Keyboard is as yet undecided, I am looking for something small and wireless, and a wireless mouse for times when the touchscreen is just not accurate enough, I have chunky fingers.

I also have an alps touchpad, like on laptops, I'm used to using those so its second nature.

PC will be a boot mount and it will also have its own 12v battery, its 17ah and came from a car starter, this will be connected to the cars main batter via a relay from the ignition to get a charge as the car is drive, and will allow about 2 hrs of running without touching the car battery, which is a great worry lifted from my mind about what if the PC gets left on, I know I wont have a flat battery....

So, motherboard.....

PCchips 848 v5 , oh yes, great board, for its price....

Advantages, 6 usb2, onboard 6 channel sound, price.

Disadvantages, cheap chipset and boot issues.....

Reason for choice, bundled with cpu and specs fit, boot issues not a problem , just remember to leave 30 seconds between switching off and on, or it wont boot.....

Battery.........

Charge relay

OK - Test build !

Here is the MB screwed to a piece of wood, small pads are used to lift it off the wood slightly, its not fastened with MB screws as they wont bite into the woold, instead 10mm long self tapping screws are used, with padding to protect the MB, these are long enough to securely hold the board, but not penetrate through the wood.

Charge relay is fitted above the board, HD fitted same way next to charge relay, and then battery is mounted on steel sheet (from an old PC case) to the wood and to hold it off the MB.

M1-atx is mounted with velcro to an L plate on the top of the battery steel.

Its very tight, and the wires getting the way of each other, so its a messy fitting for now, but it allows me to see whats going on and poke about.

A spare IDE cable is fitted incase I need a dvdrom, a power switch is fitted to m1-atx ign line to override the car ignition for testing.

The 4 core black cable is audio, and the duck tape is to hold the carpet to the wood while the spray glue drys, its not a part of the install!

Lez

flez1966

Re: Old pics of other toys in my car

Post by flez1966 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:18 pm

The car strip.....

The centre console has a nice 2 din size hole for the radio, it has a nice flap to cover the top half, this is one regret of it being a mk2 car, the mk1 has a full wooden flap to cover both din holes....

The ashtray has a wooden flap too, that will be for the 4 port hub and card reader.

Once removed the top 2 din assembly is cut off the ashtray below, the screen is a little bit larger so this was the simplest way to make space for it

With the console slipped back into the car, the screen is a perfect fit inside the gap, this has to be the simplest screen install ever.....

No modification to the screen, and just 2 little cuts to the car!

Any regrets, yes that damn awful silver strip where the monitor controls are, I'm thinking of blacking them....

Sound.

Now for the amp.....

This is going to go on the other side of the wood panel for the MB in the boot, I dont mind it being on show, as you cant see it with the boot shut, and its tough enough to stand the odd bit of shopping falling on it.

Once I was happy with the position it was screwed in place onto the wood, after the carpet was fitted. Yes I have one odd black screw in that photo, but I later found the missing silver one.....

I decided the best way to connect to the car was to use a pukka radio ISO connector, as Ihave a few from vauxhall trafficmaster units, I cut one up, removed all the pins, and then soldered the pins to wires to connect to the speaker terminals on the amp.

This connector also supplies power, ground and the ign line, wired to the standard radio design, effectively I could just unplug the car PC and plug in a normal stereo....

Here it is fitted and ready to rock and roll.........

Speaker is justa pair I made some years ago for a car and since have always been used for testing

I intend to do the entire boot out with that carpet, I like it.

Lez

flez1966

Post by flez1966 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:20 pm

Back to the front....

I had to lengthen the wires on the alps toucpad, inside its numbered, I expceted thes to match the PS" pinout, but try as I might I could not get it to work!

In the end I refitted the original cable, cut in two, and spliced another 2m into the middle of it.

Ok here is where the alps ended up...

Next to my makeshift temporary cup holder, scientifically sized to take cans, thermal cups, and milkshakes.....

when I have time, its getting the leather treatment, and the alps will be blacked.

And one last shot of the screen....

The connector out the side is a temporary keyboard socket, until I make a final choice on a wireless one.

And that was about it, the gps unit got swapped for a better receiver
Lez

flez1966

Post by flez1966 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:24 pm

oh missed a bit!

the dvd rom is not fitted on those pics, that came a little laster

And finished..

Lez

flez1966

Post by flez1966 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:29 pm

And if you got this far, thanks for reading!

Green xm (taxi) now dead and gone
Lez

DerekW

Post by DerekW » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:01 pm

Well done Lez, does it all work?

Your rotating signature shots identified you to me as our Lez of old. Hope you're keeping well and all the problems are in the past

Derek
2000 V6 Exclusive, black. RP 8362
2004 C3 Exclusive Sensodrive,the wife's. She doesn't like it.
1995 ZX 1.8 auto, the latest replacement, she loves ZX's. Peace at last.

colinxm
Has changed a sphere or two

Post by colinxm » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:10 pm

Wotcha Lez ! Good to "see" you again :D

Colin.P
1995 Cit XM 2,1 TD Silver Estate - deceased :-(
2004 Opel Vectra Estate
2008 Kia Ceed td
1989 Pug 205 Cabriolet
1998 Ford Puma
1979 Triumph TR7

flez1966

Post by flez1966 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:39 pm

just popping by to say everything in the above went when the green xm did, but i am now starting again with some repairs on the v6 (currently off road but due only to finances) and then a new PC install will be in, and keep prodding me about the new alarm on the xm, progress was started on that again a few month ago, and its nearing the time to fit it to the car and test it.
Lez